The Student Room Group

Would you stay with your current boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse if...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Le Nombre
But...but that doesn't make sense?! Forever is infinite a day more is in itself impossible so your chances of getting there are nil, no matter what your intentions :confused:

My logitian's brain is not computing that one I'm afraid :confused:

And OP yes I would.

it's a wiccan saying. it's supposed to mean more than forever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
That's difficult. I guess it would come down to if I still loved them, and a big part of that for me is personality. So I guess it would depend on the extent of the brain damage.
Original post by donutaud15
it's a wiccan saying. it's supposed to mean more than forever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get what it means, just doesn't make sense to me. You cannot have more than forever, forever is infinite. It would be like having a number that's infinity plus 1. Fair enough though, your marriage vows, I'd just stick with til death do us part.
Reply 24
Original post by GreenOut
I'd agree with you 2 if their personality had changed. A lot of the time though, they're unable to express themselves so you won't know whether their personality has changed or not. How would you react if they still showed signs of affection towards you but they seemed different?

I notice that in a relationship you start to like the specific way your partner shows affection. If he got into the habit of doing something affectionate that is really out of character such as calling me "babe" or something, I'd be quite upset that the damage had changed him and it would make me even more likely to end the relationship.

If he seemed different but sometimes would show signs of affection similar to what I'd consider normal for him, I'd probably still end it. It would make it more painful because I'd be seeing some of him and some of a person that would not make me happy in the long run, but every break up is painful to some extent, it would be better sooner rather than later.

p.s. If it were me becoming disabled, I would want my partner to move on. Because I love him, I want him to be happy above being with me. I don't believe in "the one", I think there are many potential partners out there. Maybe if he stayed with me I'd sometimes remember I'm disabled and get upset that I can't be better for him. It would just prolong the pain for both of us.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Le Nombre
I get what it means, just doesn't make sense to me. You cannot have more than forever, forever is infinite. It would be like having a number that's infinity plus 1. Fair enough though, your marriage vows, I'd just stick with til death do us part.

we wanted to include something pagan so it makes sense for us. plus til death do us part is too morbid for us :tongue:

edit: his explanation is better, he said it's supposed to mean love has no bounds, even after forever which is infinity. not supposed to make logical sense more spiritually.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bubblyraindrop

Zro
x

:love:
Reply 27
I don't know. I think it's unlikely I'd marry them.

If I suffered a brain injury and had severe brain damage, I wouldn't expect my boyfriend to stay with me. No one deserves to spend their whole life as a carer to someone who is severely brain damaged. I think it would be lonely and I don't think it would make either of us happy.

That is all hypothetical though. If it really happened, I have no idea what I would do.
I don't think you can know until you're there. I couldn't see myself abandoning her, but I think I'd be terrible at looking after someone like that.
Reply 29
Original post by Spontogical
:love:

:colondollar:

And I would do

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Mel1215
Now, honestly no I wouldn't. I support many individuals who have brain injuries in my line of work and it's hard work and I greatly admire that lady in the article.

That being said, I've only ever been in love once (he died) and I'd have stuck with him through anything that was thrown at us so I most likely would have stayed with him if he'd have had a brain injury. The lack of communication and the severity of the disability would be tough, but love is love.

I'm one big contradiction. I don't know.

Wow, sorry to hear about your loss...
Reply 31
Original post by GreenOut
I came across this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2479013/Couple-wed-despite-odds-grooms-debilitating-accident-make-touching-video-incredible-love-story.html?ICO=most_read_module

which shows how a loyal girlfriend married her boyfriend even after he suffered extreme brain damage and became disabled. I thought it was sweet and dream of having such a loyal and loving wife one day.

My question to TSR is, would you remain with your current partner if they went through the same thing? No judginess from me.

If I found "the one", the guy who seems perfect to me, flaws and all, I would accept him if the same thing happened to him. Love makes people blind, and it's true.
Reply 32
I don't know. I think it would be unlikely for me but if the relationship had been really solid I guess maybe.
Probably not. I would stick with someone who was physically disabled but still the same person but brain damage is a big thing. Due to my mental health problems I need people to support me - I wouldn't be able to be someone's carer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending