The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3480
Bathwiggle
And perfect weather too.

I tried a daytona today, and my feet reach the floor on it :biggrin: (not that i'm short or anything)

The bad news is my sv didn't start so had to jump it. I'm now wondering if the regulators on its way out.

Mine didnt start t'other day either. Left the main beam headlights on. Opps. Didnt have my jump leads on me either.

Yeah, nice weather. Lovely lovely ride home, seemingly limitless power and nice open roads. Went through a whole tank in 150 odd miles. :biggrin:

Daytonas are ment to be lovely lovely bikes. Everyone I know whos ridden one raves about it. When you getting her?
Riderz
Mine didnt start t'other day either. Left the main beam headlights on. Opps. Didnt have my jump leads on me either.

Yeah, nice weather. Lovely lovely ride home, seemingly limitless power and nice open roads. Went through a whole tank in 150 odd miles. :biggrin:

Daytonas are meant to be lovely lovely bikes. Everyone I know whos ridden one raves about it. When you getting her?

As soon as i can. Hopefully once i've finished uni as my brothers gonna by the bandit apparently, so that will give me enough to get one. He's got his test during the first week of the summer holidays apparently.

The reason i want the daytona is i dont like the twin, i preferred the 4 cylinder, so thought i might as well try a triple instead

The sv should have been charged after a 200 mile trip yesterday, but was dead, which is why i'm wondering if its the regulator as my father insists the grips weren't on, and the lights were off.

Boristhethird
mabe your sv is mad at you for cheating on her :P

If so it'll be a him, only a man would sulk over the fact i want two bikes :biggrin: unless it thought my dad was gonna ride it again, then i would understand it.
Reply 3482
Boristhethird
thats - Helmet £50 (this is the only cheap one id get,

I saw this helmet that looked suspiciously cheap today http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/1528-Arashi-Phantom-Plain-Motorcycle-Helmet-.html#descriptiontab but has a 4 star sharp rating - or would you avoid it and get something like the duccini mentioned above or shell out for a bell m1 or shark rsx - are kevlar or composite helmets worth the increased price?

edit:tongue:roviding they fit me..
stuw
I saw this helmet that looked suspiciously cheap today http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/1528-Arashi-Phantom-Plain-Motorcycle-Helmet-.html#descriptiontab but has a 4 star sharp rating - or would you avoid it and get something like the duccini mentioned above or shell out for a bell m1 or shark rsx - are kevlar or composite helmets worth the increased price?

edit:tongue:roviding they fit me..

go and try them on, im quite a gear snob but i wouldn't put my head in anything other than a shoei or an arai, despite the sharp tests.

caberg are known to be good value, you might be able to pick up an old model premium helmet for pence if you look around. and as long as its a reputable make, the composite kevlar stuff is largely irrelevant
stuw
I saw this helmet that looked suspiciously cheap today

Go try on as many helmets as you can, once you found what brand fits you, then worry about the safety of them. Different brands fit differently, shoei and arai that i've tried on are the wrong shape for my head.

I am the opposite of josh, who as he says, is fussy about what he wears, and reason that all helmets have to pass a minimum stadard, go go with whats comfy, plus i drop mine about once a year so keep having to replace it.

Look in the sales, you can get them for less than half price if they are last of the stock or last season
Bathwiggle

If so it'll be a him, only a man would sulk over the fact i want two bikes :biggrin: unless it thought my dad was gonna ride it again, then i would understand it.

i thought it would be three now :p:
the bandit, sv, and the possible daytona

about the helmets, its usually the more you pay the more you get, for it to be sold in the uk as a helmet it needs to have passed tests to show that its safe, and the safty does get a bit better with cost. However when you hear about £500 helmets, there usually this because of comfort, noise, how long they keep that 'new helmet' feeling, and a bit of brand name factor.
like getting a lock for your bike, no one will ever tell you to get the cheaper one, just get the best one that you can afford.
Boristhethird

about the helmets, its usually the more you pay the more you get, for it to be sold in the uk as a helmet it needs to have passed tests to show that its safe, and the safty does get a bit better with cost. However when you hear about £500 helmets, there usually this because of comfort, noise, how long they keep that 'new helmet' feeling, and a bit of brand name factor.
like getting a lock for your bike, no one will ever tell you to get the cheaper one, just get the best one that you can afford.

I'm gonna disagree with this. Because all helmets are measured to the same degree to ensure their safety - you might aswell buy the cheapest one. As long as it looks respectable - the £50 helmet will protect your head as well as the £500 helmet.
Longorefisher
I'm gonna disagree with this. Because all helmets are measured to the same degree to ensure their safety - you might aswell buy the cheapest one. As long as it looks respectable - the £50 helmet will protect your head as well as the £500 helmet.

that's the point i was trying to make....:wink:
Longorefisher

while that may be true in theory, expensive helmet manufacturers have a proven history of r&d, the latest venting systems, washable inners, fancy shell composites etc which these random unknown brands just dont.

as boris says, you get what you pay for, im not saying go out and buy a £500 arai, but i am saying dont buy a bargain basement piece of poo that'll be worn out in a few months
Boristhethird
i thought it would be three now :p:
the bandit, sv, and the possible daytona

My brotehr wants the bandit.. the fact he's nearly a foot taller than me, and i can easily reach the ground on it hasn;t dissuaded him, he thinks it'll make it easier

Longorefisher
As long as it looks respectable - the £50 helmet will protect your head as well as the £500 helmet.

There is an increased amount of protection with the better brands, but generally yes. There is also the chance a £50 may be better than a £500 one, depending on the make and the testing it has had.

You do end up paying more for comfort, noise reduction and all the other snazzy features they come up with (i'm agreeing with you anyway)

crazyjoyce
i am saying dont buy a bargain basement piece of poo that'll be worn out in a few months

If mine last that long :biggrin:
crazyjoyce
while that may be true in theory, expensive helmet manufacturers have a proven history of r&d, the latest venting systems, washable inners, fancy shell composites etc which these random unknown brands just dont.

as boris says, you get what you pay for, im not saying go out and buy a £500 arai, but i am saying dont buy a bargain basement piece of poo that'll be worn out in a few months

oooh, thought of an example of this, on my brothers old duchini (the £50 i showed earlier) the visor never quite sealed around the helmet, making it super noisy.:s-smilie:
Reply 3491
Longorefisher

Absolute BS. Im sorry, but it is. There is no way a £50 helmet will stand up anywhere near as well as a £500 lid in a bump. Yes, they might have Sharp tests, but manufactures make helmets to get a good rating. Anyone can make something which passes a test, but in the real word, and real accidents life isnt so predictable. Why do you think that people who rely on their helmets day in day out - racers, curriers, police riders, etc pay £300 upwards for their lids. Arai, Shoei, AVG etc test their helmets wayyyy beyond a minimum standard, far beyond even ACU Gold status. Their helmets have been used at the highest level for many years, and each time one is written off on the track it gets sent back to the factory for analysis, so the next model is an improvement on the last.

Each to their own, but look at what is used on the track and in high use situations, and take your cues from there. IMHO, if you have a £50 head buy a £50 helmet. My head is worth a lot more than £50 thankyou.
Got a new spark plug fixed at the garage today, just need to grease the cable, get the new backbox and get the main stand refitted and its back to normal again.
Loz17
Got a new spark plug fixed at the garage today, just need to grease the cable, get the new backbox and get the main stand refitted and its back to normal again.

Until next time :p:
I have the standard exhaust back on my bike, looking at £500+ for damage to rest of it though and around the same to replace gear...

Stepping into the debate, i use an Arai , not really sure about the safety side of things but on comfort/features(pin lock etc)/weight and noise levels the Arai is amazing.

I may see how expensive Shark helmets are because the bike racers i know use them and are sponsored by them.
Bathwiggle
Until next time :p:

:lol: yea thats true :p:

I told the people at the garage theres loads of problems with it but they were happy to let me sort them as and when :h:

They seems to remember my coz they all like my bike and see it as a nice challenge :mmm:
Loz17
:lol: yea thats true :p:

I told the people at the garage theres loads of problems with it but they were happy to let me sort them as and when :h:

They seems to remember my coz they all like my bike and see it as a nice challenge :mmm:

I'm glad they are nice. It'll help you a lot in the long run :yes:
Bathwiggle
I'm glad they are nice. It'll help you a lot in the long run :yes:

Yea they're great! Very knowledgable, very helpful and cheapest labour rates in my area by half the price at least, they even charge half hour rates. They were great when my master cylinder went for my rear brake especially.
MHorman
I have the standard exhaust back on my bike, looking at £500+ for damage to rest of it though and around the same to replace gear...

outch!:pinch:, i take it you've tried breakers yards...
Boristhethird
outch!:pinch:, i take it you've tried breakers yards...

Yea, annoying thing is the rest of damage is the fairings/plastics and they're not often found at breakers yards because they're the first thing to break in an accident.

The fazers engine is too reliable to have multiple mint condition bikes with exploded engines, i found one easy when i had similiar case with old GPZ500.

Latest

Trending

Trending