The Student Room Group

Please help - struggling to make friends at Uni?

Hi there everyone,
This is my first post here, so hi everyone, and i'm just looking for some advice really, so would be grateful for any feedback!
I've been at uni for nearly 2 months now and i'm struggling to make friends - I always thought that once i got to uni it would be like a fresh start and i would settle in straight away, but it's not been that easy!

I get on well with most the people in our house (there's 30 of us) and when we go out we normally all go out together - I thought i'd make friends on my course but seeing as some of my housemates do the same course I sat with them at the start and since then everyone has already started to make their own friendship groups and I would feel bad not sitting with my friends, and they would think it was weird

I signed up for a few societies at the start of the year but they don't have weekly meetings and just have a bar crawl every 6 weeks or so (I didn't know this at the start), and I'm not looking to take sports too seriously after a couple of years of a lot of sport so am not looking to be in a sports team to much (I've been going to a few trainings though)

It's not like I dont like having some time to myself, but this weekend for example, my house was nearly empty and I found myself short of things to do really, and am starting to get really worried about houses for next year :/

I've been looking for some new societies to join, but most of them seem to have been running from the start of the year and I'm not sure what's on what days etc and some of them are courses (e.g. First Aid) so i doubt i could join in half way through

Do you think it's too late to start to meet new people? Or does anyone have any advice at all?? I think im naturally quite an introvert so sometimes i'm a bit shy amongst new people but i'm willing to try my best!

Thanks for any advice!
Reply 1
Original post by ZeroMusic
Hi there everyone,
This is my first post here, so hi everyone, and i'm just looking for some advice really, so would be grateful for any feedback!
I've been at uni for nearly 2 months now and i'm struggling to make friends - I always thought that once i got to uni it would be like a fresh start and i would settle in straight away, but it's not been that easy!

I get on well with most the people in our house (there's 30 of us) and when we go out we normally all go out together - I thought i'd make friends on my course but seeing as some of my housemates do the same course I sat with them at the start and since then everyone has already started to make their own friendship groups and I would feel bad not sitting with my friends, and they would think it was weird

I signed up for a few societies at the start of the year but they don't have weekly meetings and just have a bar crawl every 6 weeks or so (I didn't know this at the start), and I'm not looking to take sports too seriously after a couple of years of a lot of sport so am not looking to be in a sports team to much (I've been going to a few trainings though)

It's not like I dont like having some time to myself, but this weekend for example, my house was nearly empty and I found myself short of things to do really, and am starting to get really worried about houses for next year :/

I've been looking for some new societies to join, but most of them seem to have been running from the start of the year and I'm not sure what's on what days etc and some of them are courses (e.g. First Aid) so i doubt i could join in half way through

Do you think it's too late to start to meet new people? Or does anyone have any advice at all?? I think im naturally quite an introvert so sometimes i'm a bit shy amongst new people but i'm willing to try my best!

Thanks for any advice!

try use the website called unii. To try and make friends:smile:) or tsr itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Me nah like how you a copy mi name starr!
Reply 3
I met my first friends at Uni when there was a quiz going on at the university student guild. I walked up to a random person and asked where they were off to, and since I had nothing further planned I decided to go to the quiz with them. Still great friends :smile:

Sometimes all that's needed is to put yourself in a position where you may feel awkward but people will quickly overlook that :smile: Sit down at a table (Maybe with food) and introduce yourself! (Food usually helps a lot, especially when you share)

You could try to join some university societies! They're always willing to accept newcomers (And moreso when you bring food)

PS: Food is a great friendmaking tool.
Reply 4
Okay thanks guys, im really trying to try new things, but im still finding it difficult :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending