The Student Room Group

Will this stop me going to Uni?

Okay, so basically during my UCAS application I was told by 3 or 4 different teachers at my school that my U grade in Biology AS should not be entered on UCAS because a U does not count as a grade as you do not get a certificate. Since then the head of my sixth form has heard about this and today effectively told me that the universities will find out about this and due to withholding information it is impossible that I will be in University next year and will have to wait a year and apply again from scratch or look at other options.

Since that conversation this morning I did receive an offer for one of my choices. I spoke to two different teachers and one told me that by now the university in question will have either looked at my grades, discovered this unclassified which doesn't have any relevance for what I'm applying for (Computer Science) or they won't have access to that information and either way I'm safe. However, the same teacher that told me that I wouldn't be able to get to University told me that they will find out about it and withdraw the offer within the next week or so if I don't call them and tell them what happened. She says there's no point in me calling them up though as they'll just withdraw my offer as soon as I tell them what's happened. Pretty much everyone is telling me I'll be fine and they've heard far worse stories about people messing up their UCAS applications but no matter how many people and teachers tell me that I'm going to be totally okay I've been really nervous since because of what the other teacher that basically told me I'm screwed said.

Has anyone got any advice? How relevant would this non grade in Biology be and how likely is it that the offer I just received today will be withdrawn?
Yes. Yes it will.
Reply 2
Not entering U grades is pretty normal.

Doubt it will make much difference either ways, since it's not a qualification you have awarded.
(edited 10 years ago)
I would guess it'll be ok but if your worried tell them what happened of that you forgot to add it when you did the ucas form they won't withdraw your offer especially if you let them know.
Reply 4
No you don't have to enter U grades so you're fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're this worried just call the university and ask them about it. It will certainly stop you from worrying.
Reply 6
If you're really worried, either phone UCAs or email them and they'll help - I entered the wrong exam board for one of my subjects and emailed them and they sorted it out overnight. Realistically your universities shouldn't really be bothered because biology has no relevance to the course you want to do. You could always ring them and explain what happened, that you were told different information by different people etc etc so that way they know that you're being honest and they're fully informed about what's happened. Both the email address and phone number are on their website :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by UCASstress
She says there's no point in me calling them up though as they'll just withdraw my offer as soon as I tell them what's happened.

That advice makes no sense. If it's true (and it sounds like it isn't), then the uni will withdraw the offer at some point anyway. You'd be much better off finding out now and making alternative plans if the advice is right.

Call the uni's Admissions Office, tell them that you think you've had bad advice and explain about the U grade. If they're going to find out sooner or later, it would look much better if you told them proactively. Each uni might deal with the situation differently, so I doubt there's a "one size fits all" guess that we can make as to the outcome.

You need to find out the reality of the situation and your teachers are being spectacularly unhelpful. The only people who will know for sure is the uni. Ask them - then you can at least stop worrying about them finding out.
Reply 8
what were your other grades. i know someone that left an as off their application but still got an offer.
Reply 9
It just gets better and better... I'm doing Psycholog at A2 but I'm resitting at AS too to try and boost my grade slightly, I got told not to put in that I was resitting in UCAS because an AS won't be recertificated I'll just get the full A2 grade....
Apparently this is wrong too and needs changing I swear the school is hopeless! So yeah It's gonna be awkward ringing up telling UCAS that not only do I need to put in a U grade I forgot I'll also need to amend my pending grades. Although it won't make a massive difference because my target grade for Psychology A2 will be the same regardless so I doubt it will affect my offers too much.I

t was more the U I was worrying about because I was effectively told my offer would be withdrawn and I was totally screwed. Thanks everyone my mind is slightly at rest now. Fingers crossed the other four offers come soon :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Klix88
That advice makes no sense. If it's true (and it sounds like it isn't), then the uni will withdraw the offer at some point anyway. You'd be much better off finding out now and making alternative plans if the advice is right.

Call the uni's Admissions Office, tell them that you think you've had bad advice and explain about the U grade. If they're going to find out sooner or later, it would look much better if you told them proactively. Each uni might deal with the situation differently, so I doubt there's a "one size fits all" guess that we can make as to the outcome.

You need to find out the reality of the situation and your teachers are being spectacularly unhelpful. The only people who will know for sure is the uni. Ask them - then you can at least stop worrying about them finding out.

It was the way she told me, basically saying there's a small chance they won't notice and that'd be my only chance of going to Uni at all and by calling I'd eliminate that, now I'm calm and thinking logically I know this was ridiculous advice, I'm at an open day tomorrow so I'll talk to an admissions person there I'm sure there'll be someone, then I'll give Leeds a ring letting them know as they've already given me an offer. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending