The Student Room Group

I'm only doing three AS levels but I want to get into top uni's

I am currently doing three AS levels all art subjects (Photography, 3D Art and Fine Art) and I am doing pretty good. All predicted at A*'s. I was wondering if I can go into top unis like UCL...but they ask for a fourth AS level :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unless you want to do art, your A-levels are pretty irrelevant tbh, especially if you only did 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ross95
Unless you want to do art, your A-levels are pretty irrelevant tbh, especially if you only did 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to do something like architecture technology or something
Reply 3
Original post by zakah97

You can easily still pick up a fourth AS like Maths or Physics, which are relevant to architecture. C1 (or C2 for that matter) is not hard to self teach and catch up on, especially considering you're predicted such high grades.
Reply 4
How can you be predicted A*s when it's not even halfway through the year, and you are doing AS levels?
Original post by Namige
How can you be predicted A*s when it's not even halfway through the year, and you are doing AS levels?

They base it on your past academic performance. I was predicted CCD for my AS's though which was kind of unusual. I ended up exceeding those by quite a fair bit.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
To do architecture you need maths/physics. What did you get at GCSE maths?
If i were you I'd try and pick up maths AS, C1 is very easy to teach yourself, it'd be worth it to get into a decent uni, you're quite limited as to uni courses otherwise.
Reply 7
Original post by zakah97

I guess that should be OK then, but you'll need at least one 'academic' subject. I agree with previous posts - a maths AS level is relatively easy to self teach.

Do you not have general studies?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by acciolucy
If i were you I'd try and pick up maths AS, C1 is very easy to teach yourself, it'd be worth it to get into a decent uni, you're quite limited as to uni courses otherwise.

Architecture technology is different from pure architecture, it's more focused on the drawing and visualizing of the designs rather than designing them, so Maths/Physics isn't necessarily a prerequisite :smile:
Reply 9
I don't mean to be rude or pessimistic, but you'd do very well to get into a top university with such soft subjects (Not my personal opinion, friends take photography/art and there is a mass of work) especially for something like architecture.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
They base it on your past academic performance. I was predicted CCD for my AS's though which was kind of unusual. I ended up exceeding those by quite a fair bit.

I'm pretty sure you can only get predicted A for AS...:s-smilie:
Original post by zakah97
I am currently doing three AS levels all art subjects (Photography, 3D Art and Fine Art) and I am doing pretty good. All predicted at A*'s. I was wondering if I can go into top unis like UCL...but they ask for a fourth AS level :frown:

Well all three of your subjects fall under the accepted a-level listing for UCL, so you're ok there (assuming that you've looked into the course's subject requirements already). As some others have said, I'd advise taking an AS grade to bolster your application, they're not particularly hard.

Since you've got three coursework subjects you could take an exam-based AS and be able to dedicate a massive amount of time to it

Best to simply ring up some of the admissions offices of the universities that interest you beforehand though, and ask them what you should do, they'll know best, after all!
Original post by lipslikemorphine
I'm pretty sure you can only get predicted A for AS...:s-smilie:

OP was referring to the full A-level grade prediction, whereby you can achieve up to A*.
Original post by ccall
Hi guys,

I've just submitted my UCAS options for English/Drama/Film studies at Kings College London, Queen Mary London, and Kent!

However - I've realised that on KCL website they suggest 4 AS levels and 3 A2 levels are the basis of general offers.

I only done 3 AS level subjects and got 3 A's in those results this year. Will the fact I only done 3 AS' falter my chances of receiving an offer for KCL? Or does personal statement and predicted grades of A*AA at A2 level, along with 6A/* 2 B's and 2C's at GCSE make up for this? (I've also placed first in drama and theatre studies at both GCSE and AS).

My 3 A-levels are; Engligh Lit, Drama&Theatre studies, and business studies.

I'm still with in the seven days of being able to change my choices - should I consider perhaps changing the KCL ones to Royal Holloway?

I'm set on going to London!

Thank you all so much xo

This isn't your thread, someone is still talking about their own issue. You created your thread 4 minutes ago. How impatient are you?
I think the best solution is to visit their website, search for the course you want to attend, and look at the requirements, and then decide.........besides there are other great unis aswell.....
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Architecture-er
Architecture technology is different from pure architecture, it's more focused on the drawing and visualizing of the designs rather than designing them, so Maths/Physics isn't necessarily a prerequisite :smile:

I know it isn't required, but Maths or Physics are still amongst the most relevant ASs op can still pick up. On the plus side, they can keep options open, and they're respected 'traditional' A levels.
He might as well consider picking one up, when he's found himself short of AS levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Sure you can go for Oxford...

Brookes.
Reply 17
Original post by acciolucy

I only got a grade C in GCSE math. I'm no good in Science aswell :frown:
Original post by Tuya
I know it isn't required, but Maths or Physics are still amongst the most relevant ASs op can still pick up. On the plus side, they can keep options open, and they're respected 'traditional' A levels.
He might as well consider picking one up, when he's found himself short of AS levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't disagreeing with you.. I was correcting someone else who thought that the OP was studying pure architecture, and was telling them that they needed Maths and Physics :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Abdul-Karim
What you said kind of proves how inaccurate it is to use past performance in predicting a level performance. Many people crash and burn with strong GCSE grades. Many people do very well with modest gcse grades.

There is no strong correlation between gcse performance and a level performance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending