The Student Room Group

First driving lesson- what do I do!?

My first driving lesson is on Friday, I'm finishing school then having it from school. What do I do? I know what the car is, so do I just go and get in the car? Or should I go round to her side first?

Edit
No I mean do I just walk up and get in the car or is that rude to just get in?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thescientist17
My first driving lesson is on Friday, I'm finishing school then having it from school. What do I do? I know what the car is, so do I just go and get in the car? Or should I go round to her side first?

Go round to the passenger side. I highly doubt she would give you a brief introduction to the controls at a busy place like outside the school.

My 'cockpit drill' was done on a quiet road and I had to get in on the passenger side as my instructor picked me up outside the house.
Reply 2
Seen as like u have not drove before ur instructor will basically show u what to do and how the car works and once you feel a little more confident you will swap seats.
As already said, get in on the passenger side as they aren't going to let you drive when you haven't got a clue what you're doing yet haha! Also as already said, they're unlikely to do the whole introduction talk about the basic controls in such a busy area.

Have fun!

Posted from TSR Mobile
As people have said just sit in the passenger side, they will drive somewhere that is suitable for a first lesson and it will go from there. Happened on my first lesson, about 10 minutes learning about controls and how/why we use them then the rest of the 2 hour slot I had just using them and getting some practice.
I too have to do the driving lessons. I've delayed it for months seeing as I'm too busy with school. Good luck, I would think they would take you into a quiet area before teaching you the basic controls so I'm guessing you'd be in the passenger seat.

I did. My instructor stayed in the car and opened the door for me, welcomed me and then we drove off.

Find the car, if they're inside just give a small knock on the window and say hello. They might be waiting outside the car already though, in which case it's made easier.

Well if your instructor doesn't get out of the car and greet you then yea, just get into the car:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmbaLaBamba
I did. My instructor stayed in the car and opened the door for me, welcomed me and then we drove off.

Find the car, if they're inside just give a small knock on the window and say hello. They might be waiting outside the car already though, in which case it's made easier.

Knocking on the window seems awkward haha. I think I'll just get in but hopefully she might come out. I just wasn't sure if it was rude to just get into the car or not! I worry about silly things! :redface:
So it's ok to just get in the car?
Reply 11

Yes.
Reply 12
Well, the good thing is you seem more nervous about etiquette then the actual driving itself lol

My instructor actually got out of the car to greet me. Maybe that was because he knew that when the front door of my house opened, it had to be me that was coming out :biggrin:

Because you are coming from school, the lady won't know who to expect, so yeah, you can go round to the driver side and say hi to the instructor. Then she will tell you to go round to the passenger side.

I think you're over thinking the situation!

Edit

Aww you're soo nervous! Don't worry there's a number of things you can do:

call up your driving instructor and let he/she know you're on your way

wave to signalise that it's you

get in the car! She won't mind (I do it all the time)

I recommend just doing all of the above as you'll be more polite and she'll definitely know that you're there lol.

Hope that helps!
Reply 15
Just get in the car lol unless they come out...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending