The Student Room Group

Sending UCAS in january disadvantage

Hi,

I plan on sending off my UCAS in January before the deadline. I took this long in order to research my options adequately and also ensure that my personal statement was the best that it could be. My college have been pressuring students to submit it early as possible and are saying submitting it this late means i am significantly less likely to get offers.

Obviously i know unis hand out offers as soon as they receive applications but how much of a disadvantage am i at by sending it just before the deadline. How less likely am i to get an offer?
Original post by chelseafan
Hi,

I plan on sending off my UCAS in January before the deadline. I took this long in order to research my options adequately and also ensure that my personal statement was the best that it could be. My college have been pressuring students to submit it early as possible and are saying submitting it this late means i am significantly less likely to get offers.

Obviously i know unis hand out offers as soon as they receive applications but how much of a disadvantage am i at by sending it just before the deadline. How less likely am i to get an offer?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2516998
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2505981
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=44893698&highlight=
*sighs*

To be fair, I haven't seen this thread before. Obviously seeing it multiple times is annoying, but not seeing it when you need the info is worse :tongue:
NO disadvantage at all.

Just make sure you dont leave it to the day of the deadline as traffic on the UCAS website can make it difficult/frustrating/impossible to submit your application easily.
Original post by bubble999
To be fair, I haven't seen this thread before. Obviously seeing it multiple times is annoying, but not seeing it when you need the info is worse :tongue:

It's not the number of threads on it (although I feel that that could be cut down by a sticky or whatever for people to look at first. Or doing a forum search, maybe), it's the persistence of this rumour/old wives' tale which grieves me. I am always shocked by the fact that schools seem to peddle it in defiance of the truth and logic, and the threads I have quoted have posts by the several university admissions officers* TSR is fortunate to have amongst its members, which I publicise in the hope that the message will eventually get out there.

Edit: *returnmigrant being one of them.
Reply 5
Original post by carnationlilyrose
It's not the number of threads on it (although I feel that that could be cut down by a sticky or whatever for people to look at first. Or doing a forum search, maybe), it's the persistence of this rumour/old wives' tale which grieves me. I am always shocked by the fact that schools seem to peddle it in defiance of the truth and logic, and the threads I have quoted have posts by the several university admissions officers* TSR is fortunate to have amongst its members, which I publicise in the hope that the message will eventually get out there.

Of course i have seen the threads. But the college scaremongoring really convinced me that i wouldn't be getting any offers. :confused:
Of course i have seen the threads. But the college scaremongoring really convinced me that i wouldn't be getting any offers. :confused:

This makes me very cross. It's not something we do at the school where I teach and it annoys me if others do it. Of course, all schools have an interest in getting applicants to get their ass in gear and put in the form before it gets too late to be processed in time for the deadline, and sometimes the fear of god is the only thing that works, but I hope it's not being done out of ignorance.
There should be no disadvantage. I'm sending mine in January too for the exact same reasons you are :tongue: (although I already have my reference so is easier for me) If you still need to send it to your tutor for them to attach your reference then try and send it at the beginning of January as it can get very busy.
No quotes from admission staff in there btw

returnmigrant. There are others around - think I saved the wrong threads from a glut of them which all happened at the same time. PQ is another. Slowloris did, at one time I believe, work in admissions.
(edited 10 years ago)
As long as you do not leave your application right up until the last minute, you should be fine.

Also, it is probably better to have carefully considered your options (and it sounds like you have) so that you have the chance to go to a university you would actually like to go to, rather than making a rushed application and later regretting the choices you have made. There is, after all, little point in receiving an offer from a place you have no intention of going to.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by carnationlilyrose

Oh right okay, I agree with that then haha :tongue: Sorry for the confusion :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending