The Student Room Group

Nasal congestion

My nose is always runny/blocked/stuffy and it's really annoying and affects me in many ways. Is there anything I can do?
Like the other visitor to the site who complained of a blocked nose, you may well be suffering from an allergy.'-itis' is the medical word for inflammation (think 'appendicitis' or 'tonsillitis') and inflammation of the nose is called rhinitis. The medical term for hay fever is seasonal allergic rhinitis - even though it can cause itchy eyes and throat, the main symptoms include blocked/runny/stuffed/itchy nose and sneezing. Hay fever tends to occur at about the same time every year when the level of the pollen you're allergic to is at its height - but rarely causes symptoms in winter. You're more likely to have perennial rhinitis, which can cause the symptoms you describe all year round. If they're fairly mild, simply applying a topical product around the entrance to your nostrils to reduce these allergens getting in (vaseline or Care allergy defence spray are worth trying) may be all you need. Otherwise, speak to your pharmacist about other anti-allergy options or see your GP
Yours sincerely

Dr Sarah Jarvis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending