The Student Room Group

So I can eat 2200 calories and lose weight? Confused.

So I've been limiting myself to 1500 calories a day for the past week to try and lose weight. I'm not in a rush and it's the lowest amount I find doable without being really difficult. I'll weigh in on Tuesday.

So I came across this website which tells you how many calories you should be eating to maintain your current weight. It says that to lose a pound a week you should eat 500 calories less than what number it throws up to you.

It tells me I need to eat 2700 calories a day to maintain my current weight. So under that logic if I eat any less than that I should slowly lose weight? So according to that website if I eat 2200 calories a day I will still lose a pound a week?

I'm not tempted to try this as I'm doing quite well on 1500 and it will certainly be faster, but I would like to know if this website is correct?

Scroll to see replies

eat that many but exercise to burn it off :smile:
There are some good android apps for this kind of thing... Input your weight, target weight and target date and it tells you to the calorie how much you should consume
Also keeps track of your food intake and exercise so you can see how you're progressing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Portia1993
There are some good android apps for this kind of thing... Input your weight, target weight and target date and it tells you to the calorie how much you should consume
Also keeps track of your food intake and exercise so you can see how you're progressing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have my fitness pal which I think is the best known one. It is really good but I don't think it would show me losing weight if I input eating 2200 a day, which is just why I find the website I posted confusing - it goes against everything I know!
Reply 4
That tool doesn't seem very accurate to me - it says I can have 2579 calories per day to maintain my current weight but I know it's more like 2100.

Try this one, which takes into account your height and age: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/. There are others online if you take a cheeky Google as well, but that original one does seem to overestimate by quite a bit.

But the principle is right - if your TDEE is say 2200, then you can pick a percentage, somewhere around 20% would be fine, to take off, which would give you 1700-1800 calories per day on average, and you would lose weight at a healthy rate.

If your calories in are less than your calories out, you'll lose weight. I've been losing 1Kg/fortnight, which is about 1lb/week, doing this.
Original post by Airfairy
I have my fitness pal which I think is the best known one. It is really good but I don't think it would show me losing weight if I input eating 2200 a day, which is just why I find the website I posted confusing - it goes against everything I know!

At the start did you say you wanted to lose weight? When you registered with the app?
If so and if you entered all the right info I.e. height, weight and level of exercise then the amount of calories it shows should be okay :smile: Remember just to update the info regularly to show how much you've lost/gained etc
Mine scares me when I don't eat enough by saying "eating this amount consistently, in 6 weeks you'd be..." I recently got a new one, can't remember the name but it's more accurate and easier to use :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DarkWhite
That tool doesn't seem very accurate to me - it says I can have 2579 calories per day to maintain my current weight but I know it's more like 2100.

Try this one, which takes into account your height and age: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/. There are others online if you take a cheeky Google as well, but that original one does seem to overestimate by quite a bit.

But the principle is right - if your TDEE is say 2200, then you can pick a percentage, somewhere around 20% would be fine, to take off, which would give you 1700-1800 calories per day on average, and you would lose weight at a healthy rate.

If your calories in are less than your calories out, you'll lose weight. I've been losing 1Kg/fortnight, which is about 1lb/week, doing this.

Using that site to calculate my BMR: If I took 500 calories off my BMR I would be eating 800 calories a day... That doesn't seem right surely?
Reply 7
You can eat 4000 calories and still lose weight. Your calorie output should be greater than your input to lose weight.
Reply 8

Thanks for this link. I get 2100 with that site so 1600 needed to lose weight steadily. That sounds a lot more realistic. Your suggested calories seem odd. As a male, your guideline is 2500 calories so you'd think that would be the amount needed to maintain your current weight.
Original post by Portia1993
At the start did you say you wanted to lose weight? When you registered with the app?
If so and if you entered all the right info I.e. height, weight and level of exercise then the amount of calories it shows should be okay :smile: Remember just to update the info regularly to show how much you've lost/gained etc
Mine scares me when I don't eat enough by saying "eating this amount consistently, in 6 weeks you'd be..." I recently got a new one, can't remember the name but it's more accurate and easier to use :3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah of course. I know what you mean about those scary messages. So when I go over my calories and it tells me how much I'll put on if I continue. It works though because they I eat less the next day :awesome:

what do you mean by this? if i eat 1500 calories and burn 500, i wont lose weight because the amount burned isn't higher then that consumed?
Original post by snowyowl
Using that site to calculate my BMR: If I took 500 calories off my BMR I would be eating 800 calories a day... That doesn't seem right surely?

You don't take it off your BMR - you take it off your TDEE.

Your BMR is your basic motabalistic rate - it's essentially how many calories your body would expend if you laid in bed all day.

Your TDEE is Today Daily Energy Expenditure - it's your BMR + your energy expenditure. We don't lay in bed all day - we get up, move around, pick things up, put them down, walk places, etc, and this is what's taken into account here. If you select an exercise level then that's taken into account as well, so if you tell it you exercise 3 times a week, your TDEE increases because you burn more calories exercising.
Original post by Secretnerd123
what do you mean by this? if i eat 1500 calories and burn 500, i wont lose weight because the amount burned isn't higher then that consumed?

You will burn more than 500 calories in a day. Even at rest, your body will burn calories. Try one of the calculators out and it'll tell you how many calories you use per day roughly, then you can knock a few hundred off to give a daily allowance :smile:
Thanks for this link. I get 2100 with that site so 1600 needed to lose weight steadily. That sounds a lot more realistic. Your suggested calories seem odd. As a male, your guideline is 2500 calories so you'd think that would be the amount needed to maintain your current weight.

That sounds more like it!

It's a figure for the average male though. I'm below average height and don't exercise much, so I don't need the average. When I start exercising again, it'll be more like 2500 to maintain current weight :smile:
You will burn more than 500 calories in a day. Even at rest, your body will burn calories. Try one of the calculators out and it'll tell you how many calories you use per day roughly, then you can knock a few hundred off to give a daily allowance :smile:

there is a BMR and TDEE. which amount of calories do i consume?
Reply 14
Well I just updated my fitness pal app for today and I've eaten 2100 (bad day ok :colondollar:) and it said if everyday was like today I would have lost 5 pounds in five weeks time. So I don't know if that is inaccurate but it answers my question sort of. I guess we are always told 2000 is our limit so I just assumed anything over it would result in weight gain, but I forget I am very overweight so that may be different for me. I'd imagine the smaller I get the lower I will be able to consume and still lose weight.
Original post by Secretnerd123
there is a BMR and TDEE. which amount of calories do i consume?

Your BMR is how many calories your body would burn at rest for a day, so essentially if you laid in bed all day and did absolutely nothing.

Your TDEE is roughly how many calories your body uses per day taking everything else into account - getting up, walking about places, digesting, picking things up and putting them down, working etc. If you consume that number of calories, you'll maintain weight. If you consume more calories, you'll gain weight. If you consume less, you'll lose weight.

I find a good guideline for losing weight is to take 15-20% off the TDEE. So if my TDEE was 2000, and I wanted to lose weight, I'd consume an average 1600-1700 calories per day.
Reply 16
Those calculators are nonsense, especially if you only do exercise on weekends but do heavy exercise on those days.
Your BMR is how many calories your body would burn at rest for a day, so essentially if you laid in bed all day and did absolutely nothing.

Your TDEE is roughly how many calories your body uses per day taking everything else into account - getting up, walking about places, digesting, picking things up and putting them down, working etc. If you consume that number of calories, you'll maintain weight. If you consume more calories, you'll gain weight. If you consume less, you'll lose weight.

I find a good guideline for losing weight is to take 15-20% off the TDEE. So if my TDEE was 2000, and I wanted to lose weight, I'd consume an average 1600-1700 calories per day.

thanks so much!!
Reply 18
So I've been limiting myself to 1500 calories a day for the past week to try and lose weight. I'm not in a rush and it's the lowest amount I find doable without being really difficult. I'll weigh in on Tuesday.

So I came across this website which tells you how many calories you should be eating to maintain your current weight. It says that to lose a pound a week you should eat 500 calories less than what number it throws up to you.

It tells me I need to eat 2700 calories a day to maintain my current weight. So under that logic if I eat any less than that I should slowly lose weight? So according to that website if I eat 2200 calories a day I will still lose a pound a week?

I'm not tempted to try this as I'm doing quite well on 1500 and it will certainly be faster, but I would like to know if this website is correct?

Might be faster on 1500 but it's not healthier. Eat 3 meals a day totaling the 2200, eat healthily, cut out snacks and do some exercise thats all you need to do to lose weight.

I mean I could eat 3 calories a day and lose **** loads of weight but it wouldn't do my body any good.
(edited 10 years ago)
You don't take it off your BMR - you take it off your TDEE.

Your BMR is your basic motabalistic rate - it's essentially how many calories your body would expend if you laid in bed all day.

Your TDEE is Today Daily Energy Expenditure - it's your BMR + your energy expenditure. We don't lay in bed all day - we get up, move around, pick things up, put them down, walk places, etc, and this is what's taken into account here. If you select an exercise level then that's taken into account as well, so if you tell it you exercise 3 times a week, your TDEE increases because you burn more calories exercising.

It didn't have a "twice a week" option, but I'm going to be starting a twice weekly running club next week. I do sometimes cycle around a bit too in the evenings but I don't suppose that counts.

I selected the "three times a week" option, and it said my TDEE was 1800. Therefore I should only eat 1300 calories a day to lose weight. Again, that doesn't sound right, surely? I'd have to completely skip lunch to keep it that low...

Latest