The Student Room Group

I think my dad doesn't like me eating 'too much' protein :S

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Beardbrah
lold i know that feel, my mum hates it when im bulking cos I just eat her out of house and home! lmao **** out da way, I've got gains to make

Riku, you're 21 - get a job and buy your own food, or at least supplement what your parents give you.

My parents are always complaining that there's no milk, bread and chicken in the house but when I ask if I'm allowed to buy whey they say things like "nope" "waste of money" "you're too young to be using that stuff" "I don't want you getting bulky" lol I'm 17

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Riku
It's his decision what he spends money on though innit?
I can't afford too much for food so respect that, but why guilt-trip me for chicken slices?

Either pay your own way, or pipe the **** down.
Original post by JimmyGatz
My parents are always complaining that there's no milk, bread and chicken in the house but when I ask if I'm allowed to buy whey they say things like "nope" "waste of money" "you're too young to be using that stuff" "I don't want you getting bulky" lol I'm 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's bad luck m8, my parents were and always have been relatively supportive and aren't retards about supplements. Fortunately I don't live at home anymore and buy all my own food so I eat plenty :tongue: GOTTA EAT BIG TO GET BIG CMON!
You need to stand up to yo daddy son

Maybe that's the cause of your issues, you're 21 and you still haven't won the power struggle yet :colone:

He literally ****ed yo mum :yep:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hazard17
He's scared that when you grow up...you might beat him up

LMFAO!
Original post by JimmyGatz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mines are the same...it's so patronising! I'm underweight and they keep saying "You don't need to put on weight! Loads of people would love to be that skinny!" despite being underweight not actually being normal/ healthy...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Riku
So I am pretty aware I'm fairly skinny (around 150 pounds) and don't need to lose weight. Technically I don't need to gain but I dislike being overly skinny, makes me feels weak and less 'manly'. I li ke a bit of meat on my bones-never going to be a bodybuilder again but it's nice to have some shape and functional strength.

This means that I like to eat 'healthy' yaddayadda but it's difficult for me to afford a bulk.

I don't really think my dad's supportive of it (bearing in mind money's tight so I can sympathise a bit, I'm yet to experience the grim reality of the cost of living)

Sometimes I feel guilty for asking for my protein sources as it seems like I'm being a food snob. Some examples:

-I'll ask if he can get some of the hicken slices in Asda or whatever (which is hardly prime nutrition) and he'll say 'I've got some pastes in the fridge, but that's probably not enough for you/not good enough for you, is it?
The pastes are something like 10g max per jar and he'd expect them to last several days-that means my average lunch would have around 3g of protein.
Of course he doesn't care about this, to him food is food. I hold onto a few disordered eating tendencies so that might explain my behaviour.

-I feel like it's a bit concerning for him that I regularly eat peanut butter-why do I need that, why do I need extra protein? I have to frequently remind him to get it on the shopping list, and it feels like he does so begrudgingly.

-Or he'll say there's cheese and crackers and I'll say I'm going to have a cheese sandwich and he's been frustrated by it, as if to say 'no, you're going to have cheese and CRACKERS, OK?' Am I letting him down by eating bread instead of crackers or something?

-When we are eating e.g. pasta he'l give me X amount in the bowl and then make a point to go 'ooo I'm stuffed!' or 'I think we should save some for tomorrow' etc.
he is always convinced that he's over-done it or given us both too much. Our bodies are not the same, nor are our dietary needs!

-What gets to me most is when I am making porridge he will actually get pissed off and yell at me for putting too high a ratio of oats to milk in the bowl, and make me put some back. He might forcefully take my cereal bowl off me and put some in his. This upsets me but I can't do much about it since it's his house, his food.

But, it's annoying because he has also told me (as has my mum) 'ooh you're so skinny, there's nothing on you' etc. and I have explained to him that the easiest way to gain weight healthily is to exercise and eat a lot of healthy food, particularly meat. He disagrees, or rather, doesn't care.

He is, however, more than happy for me to chow down on as much chocolate and cake as he can get in the bargain bin. This is also actively encouraged. I think I'm letting him down if I don't join him in eating of the pancakes/chocolates/crumbles etc.

I don't understand this logic or how to overcome it, how the **** can you tell someone they're too skinny but should also eat less? And I should not feel guilty for breaking the bank by asking for some prepackaged turkey slices from Asda, should I? :/

P.S. I know I make my dad almost sound like an abuser but he's actually not, he's a really loving dad, I just think he's either an idiot when it comes to diet and fitness, or doesn't care/is encouraging me not to care considering everyone thinks I'm obsessed with it.

I would just confront him and say "Do you have a problem with me eating protein?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by Profesh
Either pay your own way, or pipe the **** down.

Yeah that's fair enough

Original post by yo radical one
You need to stand up to yo daddy son

Maybe that's the cause of your issues, you're 21 and you still haven't won the power struggle yet :colone:

He literally ****ed yo mum :yep:

No my mum ****ed me (metaphorically), if you read my earlier threads
Original post by Riku
Yeah that's fair enough

No my mum ****ed me (metaphorically), if you read my earlier threads

do you have a job?
Original post by AspiringMedic8
Mines are the same...it's so patronising! I'm underweight and they keep saying "You don't need to put on weight! Loads of people would love to be that skinny!" despite being underweight not actually being normal/ healthy...

Posted from TSR Mobile

My parents are the same as well but i find it soo hard to eat 5 protein and carb based meals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by davidtyoember
do you have a job?

Yes but the cost of basic needs like food outweighs the income I'm bringing in loool
Eggs are the answer. They are really cheap and a good source of protein.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Riku
Yes but the cost of basic needs like food outweighs the income I'm bringing in loool

What kind of job do you have?
Reply 33
I would just confront him and say "Do you have a problem with me eating protein?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm tempted to. It would be a hell of a lot less confusing to know that he basically doesn't want to spend a lot of time/money making meals for us, and get on with his life. I can respect he shouldn't have to pay for me to have more than 3 meals a day.

But it's like when I offer him some of my chocolates (I have 1 and a half bloody tubs of Heroes and Celebrations left from Christmas to go through!), he only has r.g. one of the mini Dairy Milks then says 'I'm not greedy you know'
so am I being greedy for doing a bulk? hmm

I said I had some little packaged meat and potato pie from the deli counter in the petrol station, next to the sandwiches and pasta pots (hardly the healthiest thing in the world I know...) and he assumed I'd be too full for it.
I wasn't starving but I get mixed messages, after my mum/nan being convinced I was verging on anorexia for a year (and in all seriousness I did have some eating problems then). 'You don't have to have [this roast dinner] tonight if you're not hungry'. I never said I wasn't hungry :s-smilie:

Basically, I'm not sure if he realises that I'm three decades younger than him and at least a stone lighter, but get hungry quickly. We have pretty different needs. He must be aware, he's not stupid.
Reply 34
Original post by davidtyoember
What kind of job do you have?

Minimum wage retail weekends :P
Reply 35
Original post by StrangestThings
Eggs are the answer. They are really cheap and a good source of protein.

Definitely a good suggestion thank you :smile: but I often feel like he's monitoring the number of eggs I eat per boiled eggs etc.
Wouldn't be surprised if he yells at me about oat to milk ratios...
Reply 36
Your dad is a weirdo. My dad would just say 'not enough money to eat everything you want', none of this.

Is your dad like 16? Cause that's how old he sounds, sending signals to his own son instead of telling him straight.

I don't think it's you, your dad is a weird guy and you should be straight with him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Edit: I see that you work.. so why don't you use your own money to buy food..?
Original post by Riku
Minimum wage retail weekends :P

:rolleyes: Ah, I see..
Reply 39

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it gets more confusing because I have my mum's side of the family-and Dad's (who are a little overweight, ironically)-skinny-shaming. Often passive-aggressively, such as when my gran compared my 'well-built' cousin to another who was a 'skinny runt'
My aunts who run marathons make a point of saying 'ooh I'm soooo full' after dinner to me etc. (One aunt was anorexic in her college years)
If I said 'I want to get bigger and stronger' then one or both of my parents will assume that it's another manifestation of my (possible) ED.

Quick Reply

Latest