The Student Room Group

I accidentally took another iron pill, help

I'm supposed to have 3 ferrous sulphate pills a day. I had dinner at 6.30pm and had a pill with it.

I forgot I already had one, and I just took another iron pill about 5 minutes ago. I only realised I had already had my 3 doses after I took the fourth pill just now.

It's been almost 8 hours since my last pill.

Should I be worried? Or shall I just skip my breakfast dose and continue as normal?
Reply 1
Depends what the pill is for?

I shouldn't think it would kill you either way.
Reply 2
Original post by noobynoo
Depends what the pill is for?

I shouldn't think it would kill you either way.

I have iron-deficiency anaemia but if you have too much iron in one go (eg extra doses) you can get iron poisoning
Reply 3
Yeah, but it takes quite a lot of iron for that. I shouldn't think one extra pill would be fatal.
Have you ever heard of anyone dying from taking an iron supliment?

Besides which the doses they state is only an estimate because different body sizes and shapes would require different amounts and not an exact whole number of pills. As long as you're not taking twice the amount every day for several weeks you should be fine! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
You will be okay I am sure.
You're only 1 over. You'll be fine.
Reply 6
If taking 1 more than you should had negative health consequences then they wouldn't be sold in the first place.
You've got to take ALOT of iron to get iron poisoning. What amount are the tablets.

You might just get a bit of constipation or black stools worst case scenerio
Reply 8
Just take your next dose as normal :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest