The Student Room Group

How would a person know whether they are conventionally attractive or not?

Just as a matter of curiosity, I wanted to see your responses...

I think that for the most part, as a generalization, (although I shouldn't be general) most attractive people know that they are attractive. That is to say, people that have a certain level of appeal do not need to be validated by virtue of other people's opinions. Because they know it. Such people are in command of a good sense of well-being, and well esteemed.

However, putting those aforementioned people aside, how would a person that does not possess such exceptional aesthetics know that they are attractive? (in an average sense or on some level).

For example, about a month ago, I was conversing with a lady I know well on the bus, discussing my recent breakup. Myself and her had being overheard by another lady (of which this lady knows, and I don't) that after some hesitance came over to us, and told me that "...life's too short", and my lady-friend had prompted her by saying "...oh he's a good looking lad and doesn't know it", the lady (of whom I don't know), turns and says "...oh yes he is", in a somewhat awkward manner, though, perhaps I read too much into it.

Would it be fair to say in this instance, that the mentioned lady was only trying to be nice? Hence, the fact my friend had to instigate a conversation as to whether I was good looking or not? Because surely if indeed it was the case she would have said it prior to being prompted.

I suppose the focus of this thread is to determine whether or not in these instances people generally mean what they say?

Anyone got any insights or speculative comments?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by royal1990

I think that for the most part, as a generalization, (although I shouldn't be general) most attractive people know that they are attractive. That is to say, people that have a certain level of appeal do not need to be validated by virtue of other people's opinions. Because they know it. Such people are in command of a good sense of well-being, and well esteemed.

However, putting those aforementioned people aside, how would a person that does not possess such exceptional aesthetics know that they are attractive? (in an average sense or on some level).

For example, about a month ago, I was conversing with a lady I know well on the bus, discussing my recent breakup. Myself and her had being overheard by another lady (of which this lady knows, and I don't) that after some hesitance came over to us, and told me that "...life's too short", and my lady-friend had prompted her by saying "...oh he's a good looking lad and doesn't know it", the lady (of whom I don't know), turns and says "...oh yes he is", in a somewhat awkward manner, though, perhaps I read too much into it.

Would it be fair to say in this instance, that the mentioned lady was only trying to be nice? Hence, the fact my friend had to instigate a conversation as to whether I was good looking or not? Because surely if indeed it was the case she would have said it prior to being prompted.

I suppose the focus of this thread is to determine whether or not in these instances people generally mean what they say?

It was probably meant as a friendly gesture but it would have some truth to it. People wouldn't say 'oh he's a good looking lad' if its strictly not true.
Just comes down to how successful you are with the opposite sex (or the same sex if you're of that persuasion).

This ALWAYS proves correct :smile:

Screen Shot 2014-02-13 at 17.54.22.png
Original post by AspiringMedic8
This ALWAYS proves correct :smile:

Screen Shot 2014-02-13 at 17.54.22.png

:lolwut:
Original post by Secretnerd123
:lolwut:

It's bang on the money, every time. The key to a good looking face is when the maxilla is placed forwards in the face. Measure the distance between the tip of your upper teeth, to the tip of your nose, then read the table. It's more than likely accurate.
Reply 6
Good question.

I would hazard a guess as to being asked out a lot and being complemented for their looks.
It's bang on the money, every time. The key to a good looking face is when the maxilla is placed forwards in the face. Measure the distance between the tip of your upper teeth, to the tip of your nose, then read the table. It's more than likely accurate.

How do you do it? I don't understand the diagram :lol: The ideal only goes up to 15
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8

Im ashamed I done this lol but, im 18 so I guess the ideal would be 41mm? I got spot on 50mm, it says satisfactory, did I do this right? if so thats a little sad to know haha

Luckily for me im having double jaw surgery soon, NHS FTW
Original post by blu95
Im ashamed I done this lol but, im 18 so I guess the ideal would be 41mm? I got spot on 50mm, it says satisfactory, did I do this right? if so thats a little sad to know haha

Is the ideal for an adult 41mm? I did it too, got 43 :rofl: But dunno what an adult is so it's pretty useless
Reply 10
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Is the ideal for an adult 41mm? I did it too, got 43 :rofl: But dunno what an adult is so it's pretty useless

Well the table on the left of the diagram only goes up to the age of 15 and the "ideal" is 38mm, but the "ideal" mm moves up by 1 for each year of age, im 18 so I just added 3 to 38mm estimating the ideal to be 41mm.
Original post by blu95
Well the table on the left of the diagram only goes up to the age of 15 and the "ideal" is 38mm, but the "ideal" mm moves up by 1 for each year of age, im 18 so I just added 3 to 38mm estimating the ideal to be 41mm.

There'll be a point where it stops though? I can't find any info on this, I'm curious
How do you do it? I don't understand the diagram :lol: The ideal only goes up to 15

Sorry, adult female is 38-42mm and adult male is 40-44mm :smile:

Original post by blu95

38-42mm for an adult female. That'll be why you're so far over :tongue:

You're clinically "very attractive" or "attractive!"

Original post by blu95

As above

There'll be a point where it stops though? I can't find any info on this, I'm curious

Once you know the indicator measurement, you can improve facial growth in growing children, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhuIdCwKNEg

This is the job I want to do when I'm older :biggrin:
Sorry, adult female is 38-42mm and adult male is 40-44mm :smile:

You're clinically "very attractive" or "attractive!"

As above

Once you know the indicator measurement, you can improve facial growth in growing children, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhuIdCwKNEg

This is the job I want to do when I'm older :biggrin:

Wow, haha didn't know that. This is really interesting. I had orthotic work done when I was 14 I have a small jaw apparently, and I had braces and this other thing done :tongue:
Wow, haha didn't know that. This is really interesting. I had orthotic work done when I was 14 I have a small jaw apparently, and I had braces and this other thing done :tongue:

You had orthotropics? :eek:

Was it on the NHS? That would just have been orthodontics :smile:
You had orthotropics? :eek:

Was it on the NHS? That would just have been orthodontics :smile:

Oh orthodontics then :tongue: Yeah it was NHS, I had overlapping teeth and they were straightened. I lost my retainers though so they're still crooked
Oh orthodontics then :tongue: Yeah it was NHS, I had overlapping teeth and they were straightened. I lost my retainers though so they're still crooked

The only problem with orthodontics is that it treats a symptom, whereas orthotropics "cures" crooked teeth and there's no need to ever wear retainers, but the NHS wouldn't introduce it because all of their clinicians are already trained in traditional techniques :frown:
Reply 17

Post a picture and see what people say :P
The only problem with orthodontics is that it treats a symptom, whereas orthotropics "cures" crooked teeth and there's no need to ever wear retainers, but the NHS wouldn't introduce it because all of their clinicians are already trained in traditional techniques :frown:

How does it do that? Can you still have it done as an adult?
How does it do that? Can you still have it done as an adult?

It pushes the jaws forward and teaches the child to keep their mouth closed.

Unfortunately no, you cannot still have this done as an adult, or I would, trust me! Once you're at about eight years old, it's really getting too late for this type of treatment. I know what I'll be getting my kids, if I ever have any, anyway! Everyone who has this done always have really attractive faces.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending