The Student Room Group

why do guys usually say i love you first?

is it to get laid more or do they geniunely think they are?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This thread, I promise you, is not going to be pretty.

And I already know most of the posters who will be on here.
Guys fall in much quicker. There's actually alot of biological research into this, which validates the claim (Truly a rarity in the relationships section of TSR, I know).

The reasoning essentially amounts to the idea that if a woman is taken in with a man, and has made a bad choice, she has to live with it for 9months at least, possible permanently. Whereas a man has no biological obligation. This means that the lovely reactions in our bodies associated with love happen very quickly for men, and women have been both culturally and perhaps physically trained to be much slower.

Original post by Huskaris
This thread, I promise you, is not going to be pretty.

And I already know most of the posters who will be on here.

I actually posted mainly to subscribe :giggle:
Reply 3
They... do? :confused:

I wasn't aware of that stereotype.
Original post by Aivicore

Completely this.
Reply 5
evidence?
Reply 6
Not to be offensive but I generally cannot understand these type of questioning threads. You can't generalise an entire gender in regards to how they act in a relationship? It'll be different for every guy and dependant on whoever it is they're with. No point questioning it really, the answer shouldn't make any difference to you anyway. Sorry to rant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Because they think with their penises and we're more cautious/sensible than to put our hearts out there too soon
Mostly because guys fall in love faster (which is scientifically proven) but yes I'd hazard a guess that a lot of guys also use it to manipulate the relationship.
Original post by sarahcj95
Not to be offensive but I generally cannot understand these type of questioning threads. You can't generalise an entire gender in regards to how they act in a relationship? It'll be different for every guy and dependant on whoever it is they're with. No point questioning it really, the answer shouldn't make any difference to you anyway. Sorry to rant

Posted from TSR Mobile

There can still be a general trend. In the same way as men and women can be affected by a particular medical condition but one may be more likely to be affected.
Reply 10
Original post by Aivicore

Not to you they don't...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Hugby1
Not to you they don't...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, I'd better write that one down!

:colonhash:
Reply 12
Original post by joker12345
There can still be a general trend. In the same way as men and women can be affected by a particular medical condition but one may be more likely to be affected.

I understand that but even if there was a trend what would it matter? It's a personal thing so why would a trend based on other people's experiences matter? Also there is quite a difference between when someone decides to say I love you and when someone actually feels that way. There's too many factors which are based on the persons situation and disposition for me to find this worth questioning about. Fair enough some people may be interested in these kinds of trends but to me when it comes to relationships I don't understand why everyone is so interested and influenced by what everyone elses relationships are like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Ebony19
Because they think with their penises and we're more cautious/sensible than to put our hearts out there too soon
Beautiful generalization going on there. Maybe you haven't met a man who is capable of feeling love that doesn't manifest as an uncomfortable throbbing in the nether regions, but I can assure you they do exist.

I generally say 'I love you' when I feel it, whether it's in that way or not. When I was with my first girlfriend I said it first - I'd felt it for a while and finally said it when she'd gone into hospital with a kidney infection. I said it so she knew it. But with my second girlfriend, it was her who said it first, I fell for her a lot more slowly. And again, I have a couple of friends, who are in relationships even, who openly say it to me, and I to them.
Reply 14
Because guys are like 'expected' in society to be the lead in the relationship? (completely against this BTW, so please can no one claim I'm sexist, I think relationships should be equal)
Guys are 'supposed' to ask the girl out, take her on dates, contact first, etc, etc?
Reply 15
Original post by Tootles
Beautiful generalization going on there. Maybe you haven't met a man who is capable of feeling love that doesn't manifest as an uncomfortable throbbing in the nether regions, but I can assure you they do exist.

I generally say 'I love you' when I feel it, whether it's in that way or not. When I was with my first girlfriend I said it first - I'd felt it for a while and finally said it when she'd gone into hospital with a kidney infection. I said it so she knew it. But with my second girlfriend, it was her who said it first, I fell for her a lot more slowly. And again, I have a couple of friends, who are in relationships even, who openly say it to me, and I to them.

I appreciate everything you have said and no **** it was a generalisation I can't very well speak for every man or indeed any man as I am not one...
Reply 16
Girls are often too scared to, same reason most want guys to make the first move.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Guys fall in love quicker. Dr Helen Fisher: "Men fall in love faster than women do. Women take longer because they have to create a “memory trail” of their mate’s behaviors. She has to remember what he promised, what he’s done for the partnership, and what he failed to do." It's been tested loads.
Original post by Ebony19

Actually, it's more along the lines of men thinking with their penises and women thinking with their vaginas. Hal.e.Lujah has already outlined the evolutionary reasoning behind it. It's got nothing to do with trashy generalisations about men being highly sexed before all else and women being more sensible.
I have no idea but I'm gonna go with:

1. to get laid
2. because their feelings tend to be more fervent
3. because they're bored of chasing the girl but still want to sleep with her...so more of the getting laid!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending