The Student Room Group

How much do your parents expect you to pay?

I've graduated, starting my masters this April (got my course paid for to study, but unfortunately not my living costs) and i'm unfortunately having to live at home while trying to support myself on a 6-hour a week job. I feel as though I have to carry the huge burden of my mum being unemployed. I don't feel as though she does much to help herself and the whole situation makes me want to hit my head on a wall. It's like she doesn't even try anymore and expect us to support her.

I'm sick of my mum always demanding money and in general always making comments about why i'm studying when I have no money and always making me feel like a loser. Always more or less trying to say I am wasting my time and should get a job instead. Yeah... if things were that easy. My brother then steps in and tries to intimidate me into giving money more, making me feel like a freeloader. There's no negotiation that can never be done.

It makes me realise that love doesn't exist from anyone. Love costs money. I feel as though my mum only loves me and apprecates me when i have money.

Am i the only one who gets so much pressure to pay up cash to their own family?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
IMO if you live at home past 18, you should pay rent. Especially if your parents struggle financially.
Reply 2
I pay £0. My parents love me.
Reply 3
Original post by Katie_p
IMO if you live at home past 18, you should pay rent. Especially if your parents struggle financially.

What if you're in my situation and you give what you can afford due to being an unemployed graduate (you can't be that ignorant to the unemployment crisis facing grads atm) in a crap area. You're trying hard as hell to get a job, but the only thing you get from your family is even more **** and your family telling you how useless you are?

If I could pay enough rent I would. I'm nearly to the max of my overdraft and i have my own debts to pay also which my family don't seem to give a toss about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
If I was living at home, I'd prolly be paying 35 pound a week if my mother would accept it, as that's what I pay my boyfriend's grandfather now. Your situation is sad, trying to live on a 6 hr a week wage whilst your mum is unemployed and wants help causes a lot of friction :frown: Hopefully there'll be a change somewhere soon.
Reply 5
Original post by JennaEmBee
If I was living at home, I'd prolly be paying 35 pound a week if my mother would accept it, as that's what I pay my boyfriend's grandfather now. Your situation is sad, trying to live on a 6 hr a week wage whilst your mum is unemployed and wants help causes a lot of friction :frown: Hopefully there'll be a change somewhere soon.

The whole, 'kids should be looking after their parents' culture pisses me off also. My mum always gives me the excuse that 'i took care of you my whole life. You should be giving me everything'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by datpiff
What if you're in my situation and you give what you can afford due to being an unemployed graduate (you can't be that ignorant to the unemployment crisis facing grads atm) in a crap area. You're trying hard as hell to get a job, but the only thing you get from your family is even more **** and your family telling you how useless you are?

If I could pay enough rent I would. I'm nearly to the max of my overdraft and i have my own debts to pay also which my family don't seem to give a toss about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well obviously you can't pay any more than is actually possible from your income. But if I am still living at home after I graduate, I will pay up to £250 a month, and contribute to cooking and cleaning. If I'm not working, my parents would expect me to be looking for a job, to not have a say in shopping or other ways that money is spent, and probably to contribute half of my JSA if I claimed it.
My mum said she would be embarrassed to accept money off me like that, but equally she is crazy.

One time I had a bad parents evening and she flipped and made me work on my father's allotment in my free time (which she knows I hate), telling me I was 16 and that I need to earn my keep. I offered her money and she said she would only accept £1000 per week and said if I felt it was unfair I can move out; she also denied it was anything to do with the parents evening, yet it mysteriously stopped when I got a good report

It's weird, if I do well, I'm the pampered prince, if not, I'm a worthless piece of ****

true story :colondollar:
Original post by datpiff
The whole, 'kids should be looking after their parents' culture pisses me off also. My mum always gives me the excuse that 'i took care of you my whole life. You should be giving me everything'

Posted from TSR Mobile

She makes it sound like it was your fault she had you :frown:
Parents shouldn't expect their children to become adults and suddenly be able to support them when they should be enjoying their youth. I helped my mother with mortgage costs when I was working fulltime when I was 18ish but she was mortified at having to take it. She is however hoping I'll get a well paid job so she can go into a nice home in 40 years :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Katie_p
Well obviously you can't pay any more than is actually possible from your income. But if I am still living at home after I graduate, I will pay up to £250 a month, and contribute to cooking and cleaning. If I'm not working, my parents would expect me to be looking for a job, to not have a say in shopping or other ways that money is spent, and probably to contribute half of my JSA if I claimed it.

I can't claim JSA. Tried before I got onto studying for a masters. I was earning too much to claim.

I'm in a catch 22 at the moment. I have to pay £8 a day to get to work to get to my 6 hour a week job. Everyone asks 'why do you travel?'
It's the only job I have at the moment. It relates to my degree, it feeds me (with whats left after travel) and if I just handed in my notice, i'd be back on the dole. Dole might have paid more, but I would have been silly to go to no job at all. Especially a public sector one which I get a lot of experience in. Asking for more hours is out of question as well as the local authority which I work for refuses to part with more cash and hours due to 'budget cuts'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
When I lived with my mum she only asked that I paid my phone bill off my college bursary at the time. It was only £20 a month but if she needed any money for anything and I had it, I would give it to her.
Reply 11
Parents shouldn't expect their children to become adults and suddenly be able to support them when they should be enjoying their youth. I helped my mother with mortgage costs when I was working fulltime when I was 18ish but she was mortified at having to take it. She is however hoping I'll get a well paid job so she can go into a nice home in 40 years :tongue:

My mum was a single mother. I was raised in poverty and in a council estate. It feels like a struggle to rise up and just live like the other half do. The other half who don't have to struggle to afford bus fares and dodge train fares. I'm hoping my studies will open up new opportunities for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
My mum was a single mother. I was raised in poverty and in a council estate. It feels like a struggle to rise up and just live like the other half do. The other half who don't have to struggle to afford bus fares and dodge train fares. I'm hoping my studies will open up new opportunities for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too! :five: Gosh trying to afford the bus for college was a nightmare. I just used to eat tins of tuna to fill me up so I could have the 80 pound monthly bus pass:tongue:
Original post by datpiff
I've graduated, starting my masters this April (got my course paid for to study, but unfortunately not my living costs) and i'm unfortunately having to live at home while trying to support myself on a 6-hour a week job. I feel as though I have to carry the huge burden of my mum being unemployed. I don't feel as though she does much to help herself and the whole situation makes me want to hit my head on a wall. It's like she doesn't even try anymore and expect us to support her.

I'm sick of my mum always demanding money and in general always making comments about why i'm studying when I have no money and always making me feel like a loser. Always more or less trying to say I am wasting my time and should get a job instead. Yeah... if things were that easy. My brother then steps in and tries to intimidate me into giving money more, making me feel like a freeloader. There's no negotiation that can never be done.

It makes me realise that love doesn't exist from anyone. Love costs money. I feel as though my mum only loves me and apprecates me when i have money.

Am i the only one who gets so much pressure to pay up cash to their own family?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I pay £120 a month, used to be more when I had my old job but now I'm just living off of SAAS.
Its not in our culture to pay but I voluntarily pay some bills and buy/cook food for the whole house because I want to.

A friend recently told me about how his mum took most of his student loan to do up their house...I don't know how to feel about that.
(edited 10 years ago)
My mum wanted my whole student finance so I move out. I feel for you OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly.

All I can say is this: bed, made, lie. Just because you brought a child into the world, doesn't mean that they owe you anything, especially when they had no say in being born.
Original post by datpiff

Posted from TSR Mobile

The entitlement complex from some parents is astonishing.
Original post by ehiamour
Its not in our culture to pay but I voluntarily pay some bills and buy/cook food for the whole house because I want to.

A friend recently told me about how his mum took most of his student loan to do up their house...I don't know how to feel about that.

That's wrong.
Original post by donutaud15
My mum wanted my whole student finance so I move out. I feel for you OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow.

I would never ever let someone take my student loan or my earnings. Why someone would expect to take away something that you need to support yourself with? That's absurd.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending