The Student Room Group

''You're in charge of your own happiness'' What does it mean?

And do you agree?

To me, and I may have this wrong, it suggests you can just tell yourself 'be happy' and then, as if a magic switch has been pressed, you're happy.

Or, in a more general way, you should choose to do what makes you happy? If you know something will make you miserable but you do it, you should just accept your misery as being your own fault?

What do you think?

Also I didn't really know where to post this so apologies if it is in the wrong forum
I think it's your attitude and the way you handle things life throws at you. A friend of mine lost his job in recruitment yesterday and instead of sulking, he immediately got on the phone to an agent and organised interviews. Initially he was shocked and worried about bills, commitments to his family etc but he picked himself up and took control of the situation - his enthusiasm really impressed me. I think this is what people mean by being in control of your own happiness, you can simply give up and waste time feeling sorry for yourself or you can choose not to be defeated and take the situation as a blessing in disguise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I kinda agree with the 'If you want to be happy, then be'

I think sometimes people stop themselves from being happy, because they're too negative about things, and I (personally) think to be happy you have to want to be happy, and have a positive outlook on life. I know that If I was to think about it, I could come with lots of reasons why I might not be happy, but I (personally) don't dwell on them too much, and I fill my mind with the positive/happy things and focus on them.
Reply 3
It means what life would be like if you went to eton
Reply 4
Original post by Dust94
And do you agree?

To me, and I may have this wrong, it suggests you can just tell yourself 'be happy' and then, as if a magic switch has been pressed, you're happy.

Or, in a more general way, you should choose to do what makes you happy? If you know something will make you miserable but you do it, you should just accept your misery as being your own fault?

What do you think?

Also I didn't really know where to post this so apologies if it is in the wrong forum

You are in charge of your own happiness makes sense to me.

I.e. if I love chocolate biscuits and you hate chocolate biscuits, I can't hand you a packet and say "be happy! You have chocolate biscuits!" - i.e. you know yourself better than anyone knows you, therefore nobody can make you happy but yourself.

By that I mean, fundamentally, the only person whose opinion that should matter to you is your own - don't try to please others, keep yourself content and happiness will follow.
IT means you've got to put in the work to find your happiness and not expect it to happen for you.
I think it means that if you are unhappy in some way, it's up to you to get yourself out of the situation making you unhappy so you can become happy again. :smile: I think the statement is very true, so very much agree with it.
Reply 7
Synthetic happiness is actually real happiness. So what being in charge of your own happiness means, is that instead of searching for happiness, and doing what makes you happy, choose to be happy and you'll be happy. For example, if you're upset, force yourself to be happy, smile, and soon, you'll realise you're actually happier! So no point going to the ends of the world searching high and low for happiness, it's within you, and you and only you have the power to release it.

You are in charge of your own happiness.
Reply 8
I kinda agree with all that's been said, you're in charge of your own happiness, so, create it and stop waiting for someone to make you happy. If you are married, make yourself happy, instead of waiting for your spouse to do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending