The Student Room Group

To all you ladies out there, would you date a muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Numan786
Walaikum salaam nd I meant that I was saying someone would reply to you with those things because of the hate for
Islam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh dear please excuse me.. I apologise for my mistake :smile:
sad that you are true.. why do they hate.. if only they actually knew what Islam was.
Reply 21
Original post by ILovePancakes
I know.. I just couldn't think of the word.. It's not religionist..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol it's called an opinion? :tongue: chill it's cool you can disagree with Islam if you want to you don't have to be so PC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Clip
I know a bloke in the hockey team whose family hail from Pakistan (originally). He drinks like a fish, bothers all the girls in the clubs and is a superb bloke. His girlfriend is an awesomely gawjus girl of Britishy origin.

So in other words hes a muslim with British culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Ana81
So in other words hes a muslim with British culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe. But I know a few muslims from all different countries who are like that. Not all of them have amazing girlfriends, though.
Original post by ThreadPoster
I'm sure you've all heard the horror stories, muslim man dating white girl, usually he either forces her to live an islamic lifestyle or dumps her for a muslim girl, preferably a virgin. So considering all this would you still date a muslim? Do you know any happy muslim man white girl couples?

Yes. My boyfriend is from a Muslim family although he's not religious
just seldom mention religion, you'll be fine.

now get out there, young grasshopper.
For me it would depend on how traditional they were, and if they were Muslim in the sense that they followed the religion, or if they were born into a Muslim family but weren't religious themselves. I would find it difficult to marry someone who was devoutly religious I think, irrespective of what that religion was, as I am not religious, and would find some opinions and beliefs wouldn't fit with my outlook, which could be problematic. And I couldn't marry someone who believed the role of women is to look after their home and family, and who believed I should obey them, and ask permission for things, regardless of whether they believed that because of their religion or for other reasons. I believe in equality. If someone had been born Muslim but the above things didn't apply, then I would have no problem with it. I have friends who are Muslim, but I think marrying someone who is very religious is a big thing to consider.
Reply 27
Original post by Millie1986
For me it would depend on how traditional they were, and if they were Muslim in the sense that they followed the religion, or if they were born into a Muslim family but weren't religious themselves. I would find it difficult to marry someone who was devoutly religious I think, irrespective of what that religion was, as I am not religious, and would find some opinions and beliefs wouldn't fit with my outlook, which could be problematic. And I couldn't marry someone who believed the role of women is to look after their home and family, and who believed I should obey them, and ask permission for things, regardless of whether they believed that because of their religion or for other reasons. I believe in equality. If someone had been born Muslim but the above things didn't apply, then I would have no problem with it. I have friends who are Muslim, but I think marrying someone who is very religious is a big thing to consider.

You're made to believe all Muslims are like this when in reality I know religious Muslims who would be happy to let their wives work and not banish them to do the house work. If anything that's a culture thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're made to believe all Muslims are like this when in reality I know religious Muslims who would be happy to let their wives work and not banish them to do the house work. If anything that's a culture thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you're right, not all Muslims are like this. I was using it as an example of something I would be uncomfortable with. I may be wrong, but Muslims do believe that men and women have equally important but different roles don't they?
In principle, I have no objection to dating someone whose religion is totally different to mine (I'm an atheist). In reality, I think I'd be concerned that the differences were too great.
Inb4 you've been indoctrinated or you've been shot with a muslamic ray gun lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looool "muslamic ray gun"

Posted from TSR Mobile

That in itself is worrying to me: the implication that a man might feel entitled to have that kind of control over my life, to give me permission to do those things so to speak. If I get married, those things won't even be a consideration.
Reply 32
Original post by KaylaMary
as a Roman Catholic..
Islam and Catholocism are the two closest religions in the world, our Bible is closer to the Qur'an than the Christian versions of the Bible :smile: peace be upon you sister
and to answer the OP.. of course, I'm in love with an amazing Muslim man :colondollar:
Islam is simply beautiful
they are certainly the closest and also had the most wars fought between them in history. strange paradox
Reply 33
Original post by Millie1986
Yes you're right, not all Muslims are like this. I was using it as an example of something I would be uncomfortable with. I may be wrong, but Muslims do believe that men and women have equally important but different roles don't they?

Ah yes I see where you come from though dont take my word literally because I'm no expert on the subject but I think the wife had the extra job of teaching the children moral values and in Islams case the religion though people are debating this is morally correct lol. In Islam it's said your mother is the most important person in your life. But yes I think what you say is right in essence but its open to interpretation. Sorry for the paragraph :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rascacielos
In principle, I have no objection to dating someone whose religion is totally different to mine (I'm an atheist). In reality, I think I'd be concerned that the differences were too great.

This is what I was trying to say but failed!
Reply 35
That in itself is worrying to me: the implication that a man might feel entitled to have that kind of control over my life, to give me permission to do those things so to speak. If I get married, those things won't even be a consideration.

In context of course the wife can do what she wants but like in an actual relationship both parties must agree.

It's all well and good saying ill get married and **** loads of bitches cuz my partner can't have an opinion or say in what I should do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In context of course the wife can do what she wants but like in an actual relationship both parties must agree.

It's all well and good saying ill get married and **** loads of bitches cuz my partner can't have an opinion or say in what I should do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't mean that, of course. When I say I believe in equality in relationships, I don't mean me doing whatever I want at my husband's expense. What I don't want though is the sort of relationship where I'm only allowed to do what I want because my husband says that's okay. At the same time, I wouldn't want my husband to think he needed my approval to do his own thing. Obviously there's a fine line but I hope to have the sort of relationship where we know each other well enough to establish those boundaries. With things like being unfaithful, I would hope that would come from my own sense of morality, and not needing to be told! Where there is a very great difference between partners, e.g. in terms of religion, then I have to be realistic and expect that we'd probably not find that balance, which would make me incredibly unhappy as I'm a very independent person and the thought of sharing my life with someone frightens me in itself. So the prospect of a marriage where I am "limited" in what I'm allowed to do is a definite no-no.
(edited 10 years ago)
What about a non-practicing white European Muslim such as myself?
Original post by Kolasinac138
What about a non-practicing white European Muslim such as myself?

Says it all.
Reply 39
I don't mean that, of course. When I say I believe in equality in relationships, I don't mean me doing whatever I want at my husband's expense. What I don't want though is the sort of relationship where I'm only allowed to do what I want because my husband says that's okay. At the same time, I wouldn't want my husband to think he needed my approval to do his own thing. Obviously there's a fine line but I hope to have the sort of relationship where we know each other well enough to establish those boundaries. Where there is a very great difference between partners, e.g. in terms of religion, then I have to be realistic and expect that we'd probably not find that balance, which would make me incredibly unhappy as I'm a very independent person and the thought of sharing my life with someone frightens me in itself. So the prospect of a marriage where I am "limited" in what I'm allowed to do is a definite no-no.

But all muslim marriages aren't like you described where the man has the be all end all say in the marriage though I regret to say this is the majority but I believe that's because of a mix of religion and culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending