The Student Room Group

hate my job at sainsbury

some advice please i have been working at sainsbury for 9 mths now and to be honest im not liking department im on its making me ill i been stressed out lately affecting my job on counter i am on my feet for 8 hrs. at time which affect my health im made to clean cookers with dangerous cleaning solution even though i have severe asthma they dont seem to care and i forgot add the 3rd temperature on the food sheet today and my collegaue who thought was friend instead of coming to me about it ,
she went and looked for the store manager now store manager said she will report to my department manager tomorrow when this colleague previously has made mistake before and managers juts shrugged and goes dont do it again any ive asked to move to checkouts but got denied am so stressed as it is now worried im going get formal warning over this

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by silentwolf
some advice please i have been working at sainsbury for 9 mths now and to be honest im not liking department im on its making me ill i been stressed out lately affecting my job on counter i am on my feet for 8 hrs. at time which affect my health im made to clean cookers with dangerous cleaning solution even though i have severe asthma they dont seem to care and i forgot add the 3rd temperature on the food sheet today and my collegaue who thought was friend instead of coming to me about it ,
she went and looked for the store manager now store manager said she will report to my department manager tomorrow when this colleague previously has made mistake before and managers juts shrugged and goes dont do it again any ive asked to move to checkouts but got denied am so stressed as it is now worried im going get formal warning over this

Are you looking for an excuse to quit your job? It sounds like you want an easy ride, you got to keep in mind it is a job and not a play ground. If you are unhappy get in contact with your team-leader who can talk to your counters manager (if it is a big department).
8 hours a day on your feet is VERY unlikely as after 4 and a half hours you are entitled to a break.

In addition, if you think you are being unfairly treated go straight to the HR manager. Explain your situation and ask to be transferred to checkouts. (people think checkouts is easy ha, try sitting down for 4 hours)

If it doesn't get resolved you can always contact the HR DIRECT helpline, the number should be on the wall in your canteen. :smile:
Reply 2
i do not want to quit just advice i never get break after 4 n half hrs i was working from 9 till 3 till i got a 30 minute break im ill after every shift cleaning the ovens as other colleagues refuse to do it and if never got done we all in trouble so have no choice in doing so
Reply 3
i do not want to quit just advice i never get break after 4 n half hrs i was working from 9 till 3 till i got a 30 minute break im ill after every shift cleaning the ovens as other colleagues refuse to do it and if never got done we all in trouble so have no choice in doing so

I'm giving you advice, your best bet is to go and speak to your HR manager they are there to help you. The anonymous helpline for colleagues number should be available from HR.
Reply 4

9-3 is 7 hours, on a seven hour shift, you're allowed a 30 minute break which is what you said you get?
Try working 40 hours a week on your feet. Running round a hospital. Sainsburys is a walk in the park..
Reply 6
Original post by Samus2
9-3 is 7 hours, on a seven hour shift, you're allowed a 30 minute break which is what you said you get?

9 till 3 is six hours, and I think he meant he didn't get his break until 6 hrs in.

That said, 6 hrs no break? Pft...try 8-9 hours without one, or 7hrs until one while you're dashing about with half the time at -22c. Still isn't that bad tbh, but I guess people can cope with different things.

Technically though, you should get a break after 4.5hrs is it? So you have a right to complain about it. Albeit when I do a 5hr shift I don't get a break, which is fine, no need, we don't get paid breaks so I'd rather get the money, which I do, but I did think it's meant to be 4.5.
Original post by joey11223
9 till 3 is six hours, and I think he meant he didn't get his break until 6 hrs in.

That said, 6 hrs no break? Pft...try 8-9 hours without one, or 7hrs until one while you're dashing about with half the time at -22c. Still isn't that bad tbh, but I guess people can cope with different things.

Technically though, you should get a break after 4.5hrs is it? So you have a right to complain about it. Albeit when I do a 5hr shift I don't get a break, which is fine, no need, we don't get paid breaks so I'd rather get the money, which I do, but I did think it's meant to be 4.5.

I've done 5.5 hours shift with no break. I think the law is over 6 hours
Reply 8
Original post by 9MmBulletz
I've done 5.5 hours shift with no break. I think the law is over 6 hours

Ah yes my mistake, 20 mins if you work 6hrs is the legal minimum.
Reply 9
Original post by minthumbugs
Try working 40 hours a week on your feet. Running round a hospital. Sainsburys is a walk in the park..

Try working over 40 hours a week on your feet doing physically demanding job at 0 C degrees temperature which involves constant bending and pulling for whole shift :colone: And we only get 30 minute break :colone: Sainsbury's distribution centre is like running from east London to west London with chains on your hands and feet and a rock on your back :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10

You work in warehouse? :colone:
Original post by ForgetMe
You work in warehouse? :colone:

Nope, stock room, not big enough to be thought of as a warehouse really, probably the equivalent size of the downstairs space of a small-average home. I work in retail, but often run the frozen section, so that involves breaking down 3-6 pallets of frozen stuff (Thursday is 6...ugh takes ages), all on my lonesome. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Nope, stock room, not big enough to be thought of as a warehouse really, probably the equivalent size of the downstairs space of a small-average home. I work in retail, but often run the frozen section, so that involves breaking down 3-6 pallets of frozen stuff (Thursday is 6...ugh takes ages), all on my lonesome. :tongue:

I'm happy I don't need to work in -22 C because we do have a freezer somewhere in the distribution centre :colondollar: I'm working in chilled, so that's 0 :colone: but still cold :unimpressed: and our warehouse is massive, actually it's distribution centre :mmm:

Can be too easy too get suckered into all the strife of a job. Take it easy, don't worry about formal warnings even if they come, its only a part time job to see you through uni right? Most retail places will give you a standard satisfactory reference whether you worked like a saint or got the odd formal warning. Would avoid getting too bogged down in this with going to him/her talking about it unless you really end up getting the rough end of the stick unjustly as it can end up more stress with this person said this, you say that about some rubbish that really doesn't matter. I would say ignore it as best you can and just go along with stuff as best you can. Normally if you don't bother arguing with a manager complaining they won't take it any further as they have other stuff on their mind, so just go along with whatever rubbish they come out with as far as reasonable as its the easiest way through a working day. After all the money supermarkets pay its not worth getting wound up about, so forget it ever happened.
I'm happy I don't need to work in -22 C because we do have a freezer somewhere in the distribution centre :colondollar: I'm working in chilled, so that's 0 :colone: but still cold :unimpressed: and our warehouse is massive, actually it's distribution centre :mmm:

Think our fridge (its TINY, as in walk-in then you can only take a step or two), is at 2c. It feels so warm lol.

In summer its nice, but in Winter, especially if it's a 5am start...walking in the cold dark...going into -22c..meeeh.
Reply 15
Think our fridge (its TINY, as in walk-in then you can only take a step or two), is at 2c. It feels so warm lol.

In summer its nice, but in Winter, especially if it's a 5am start...walking in the cold dark...going into -22c..meeeh.

Is it supermarket or local one? :tongue:
You're lucky you even have a job. I've been searching for 2 years now.
OP, keep going up the chain of command until you find someone who will listen to you. If you're struggling, it's best to try to get it sorted rather than complain about it on here. That said, don't expect an easy ride: work is tough!

Just to add my two cents on the "I'm on my feet more than the next person argument". 13.5 hours cleaning bums in a care home. Just sayin'.
Lol, retail is a doss, 0 level of thought,with repetitive processes. Don't worry, you will get a verbal warning first. I suggest you look at you employee handbook and look on the ACAS website if you have a dispute with your employer. If you feel your being victimised contact HR place a grievance against your boss that will shut them up permanently. Just have a rational excuse.

http://m.acas.org.uk

90 percent of retail bosses are thick at store level.
(edited 10 years ago)
Try working over 40 hours a week on your feet doing physically demanding job at 0 C degrees temperature which involves constant bending and pulling for whole shift :colone: And we only get 30 minute break :colone: Sainsbury's distribution centre is like running from east London to west London with chains on your hands and feet and a rock on your back :tongue:

Who do you think pushes the patients round the hospital?:colone: haha I just meant compared to my shifts at the hospital I can basically sleep with my eyes open at sainsburys but fair enough! We used to have an hour for lunch for an 8h15 day but it went down to 45 mins as soon as I started :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending