The Student Room Group

Do you need proof when someone tells they have a girlfriend?

Is it just accepted that when someone says they have a GF, it is true. Who cares?

Or is it a case of pics of GTFO? If so, why so harsh? Why does it really matter if someone is lying? They probably are only doing so to get you off their back anyway.
What is this?
Erm, why wouldn't you believe them?
Reply 3
Original post by Maid Marian
Erm, why wouldn't you believe them?

Because people lie, they lie all the time.
Hmm okay most of the time, I would believe them. However, if they look shifty or are prone to lying then I would doubt it but I wouldn't outright ask for pictures
Original post by Orihime
Because people lie, they lie all the time.

Meh, forgive me, but if someone told me that they had a partner, my first reaction wouldn't be, "WHERE'S YOUR PROOF" :lol:
Seems like such an insignificant thing to be disbelieving and accusing about :dontknow:
Reply 6
Original post by Maid Marian
Meh, forgive me, but if someone told me that they had a partner, my first reaction wouldn't be, "WHERE'S YOUR PROOF" :lol:
Seems like such an insignificant thing to be disbelieving and accusing about :dontknow:

The point the OP is trying to make is that online it's quite common for people to use the I have a GF routine as a get out of jail card as a last refuge in a bid to compensate in an argument.
Why would anyone ask for proof, why would they care anyway whether you're lying or not? :dontknow:
Original post by tammie123
Why would anyone ask for proof, why would they care anyway whether you're lying or not? :dontknow:

Surely in a group of lads, the moment you get a GF is an important moment and you don't keep it a secret do you? They will expect to know all the details - including what she looks like in a photo :rolleyes:- so if you can't share that info (because you're really lying) then really you will be outcasted, no?

They're not just going to take your word for and never mention it again! :rolleyes:
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Surely in a group of lads, the moment you get a GF is an important moment and you don't keep it a secret do you? They will expect to know all the details - including what she looks like in a photo :rolleyes:- so if you can't share that info (because you're really lying) then really you will be outcasted, no?

They're not just going to take your word for and never mention it again! :rolleyes:

Really? It's really different for girls, we don't demand that kinda info and just take the persons word for it.

Why are you thinking of lying to your friends anyway may I ask?
Reply 10
I wouldn't ask for proof but sometimes people lie about it, I have done before, especially when talking to guys I don't find attractive but only if they ask if I have one.
Reply 11
If someone feels the need to lie about it then that's their insecurity not mine. Why would I care? I'd be suspicious after a while when I hadn't seen them together or met her anyway.
Nope, I'll just take it at face value. I mean the whole proof with a photo, I don't think I even have a photo of my GF on my phone..most photos end up on my computer or are taken by others and put on Facebook or what ever,

Only time I question peoples honesty is on some GameFaqs boards, pokemon X/Y say, "Making GF pokemon team" and such....but that's rather hypocritical since I have one and use such message boards too.
Why would you care?

Quick Reply

Latest