The Student Room Group

Consumer Warranty for Macbook Pro?

Got my Macbook Pro at Christmas in 2012 and it's constantly needing repaired at the Apple Store. Had a part replaced in January for £400, on the motherboard or something because of water damage, but since it's been in twice to get fixed and is now needing to go in again. I don't have the extended Apple Warranty but from an ole Google search I've seen that there's an EU-wide Consumer Law that says in Scotland I have 5 year protection offered at no extra cost. Anyone shed any light on this? Can I get this beat up Macbook replaced/fixed for free? Cause I've practically bought the thing twice and it's still knackered.
Original post by shaunaaa
Got my Macbook Pro at Christmas in 2012 and it's constantly needing repaired at the Apple Store. Had a part replaced in January for £400, on the motherboard or something because of water damage, but since it's been in twice to get fixed and is now needing to go in again. I don't have the extended Apple Warranty but from an ole Google search I've seen that there's an EU-wide Consumer Law that says in Scotland I have 5 year protection offered at no extra cost. Anyone shed any light on this? Can I get this beat up Macbook replaced/fixed for free? Cause I've practically bought the thing twice and it's still knackered.

The key factor here is that this sort of warranty/protection only covers against manufacturer faults, that is to say problems the laptop will have been built with, developed as a result of the parts used or otherwise acquired with the seller being responsible. Water damage obviously won't be covered by this, as it happened after you received it and the issues caused will not be their fault. The motherboard is the component that pretty much connects all the other components together, so depending on what damage you did to that could quite possibly have far-reaching effects on other components. If the follow repairs you needed can be attributed to the initial water damage (or any damage that's been done since), then Apple wouldn't be under any obligation to provide repairs/replacements for free. Given that Apple are typically very highly regarded for their aftersales service (something I personally experienced with my old Macs) I would guess that any other repairs you've had to pay for will be the result of damage the laptop has taken since you got it, although without knowing exactly what the issue was or what you were told by Apple was the cause, I obviously can't say with 100% certainty.

My advice would be take it into an Apple shop and explain the new issue you're having and let them diagnose the problem. If it turns out to be something they can repair for free, great. If there's going to be a charge involved, find out the name of the EU law you've found beforehand and ask them whether or not that law would be applicable given whatever the issue has turned out to be.
Reply 2
I suspect this is covered under the sale of goods act which says that good should be fit for purpose for what would reasonably be expected to be it's lifetime. The contact is with the store/company you bought it from not the manufacturer so you need to go through the company it was bought from (with Apple products the company and manufacturer is often the same company if you bought it direct from them)

This act doesn't cover damage you've caused or general wear and tear. Also consumable parts (such as the battery) may have a shorted expected life than the main laptop (although if the battery isn't user replaceable you may be able to argue that it should still provide a reasonable charge for the expected life of the laptop)
Reply 3
Thanks for all the advice! Took it into Apple and they're replacing the hard drive and another component part free of charge; they mentioned the consumer law act before I even got a chance so turns out all the damage from now on is covered by it, as it's nothing to do with a usage fault on my part. 5 days and I'll have my little Netflix-machine back and hopefully in perfect working order.

Thanks again, it's all greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending