The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

D240 - Counselling: exploring fear and sadness - May 2014, Anyone doing this?

Hi,

Just looking to see if there are enough people interested to start a thread where we can offer each other help and support away from the OU online forums.

Please feel free to join in and briefly introduce yourself. For the record I am a married Civil Servant working for the Home Office with two kids, boy 10 and girl 5.

I'm at the halfway stage of my Open Degree. I live just south of Manchester.

Look forward to hearing from you...

Scroll to see replies

Just me then!!!

Going well. Passed TMA 01 with relative ease. Quite an interesting course.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Submitted TMA 02 last week (3 weeks early) and I have just about finished TMA 03 as well. Just got the EMA left to do and that is due beginning of October. Pressures off for the time being.

Is anyone reading this stuff...
Yes! Just never replied 'cos I'm not doing that module, but you're not just shouting at the wind. How are fear and sadness? Interesting?
I am reading this too. I do not know if I take this course someday.
I have already passed SDK228 (Mental health) and SD226 (Biological psychology) and I am going to take the D171 (Introduction to counselling).
In these courses we had or will have information on different mental interventions, counselling approaches and also fear (phobias) and depressions(sadness).

Do you like your module?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi I'm reading. Just trying to get down to writing tma2. Finding understanding existential therapy quite difficult......
Reply 6
Hi, I've just found this thread, and am planning on taking D240 in October so I'm interested to hear about your experience with it.
Reply 7
Im reading this... I am also doing this module at the moment. How on earth have you managed to do TMA2 and TMA3 already??? I am struggling to keep up with the study plan, work, and have a life right now. I am trying to finish TMA2 right now. This existential stuff is not something my brain is processing with ease.
Original post by Taz1008
Im reading this... I am also doing this module at the moment. How on earth have you managed to do TMA2 and TMA3 already??? I am struggling to keep up with the study plan, work, and have a life right now. I am trying to finish TMA2 right now. This existential stuff is not something my brain is processing with ease.

Wow! A warm welcome is extended to all of you and grateful thanks for replying to the thread.

I am aiming to obtain an Open Degree (BSc without honours). I don't need a degree for career development or anything like that, I just want one because I didn't go to university 35 years ago and I feel incomplete without one.

So essentially, I will either pass or fail and there is no honours classification for me to worry about. A bare 40% pass will suffice in all my assignments and anything better puts a smile on my face (I've actually been doing quite a lot of smiling).

Anyway, this is why I tend to cast caution aside and advance beyond the recommended study plan. I have chosen my modules carefully - No Exams, No Residential Schools and I've not attended a tutorial yet either (although this is mainly down to having to work weekends more than any real reluctance to go). I have generally found the course materials from the OU to be very good and to contain everything that is required to pass each assignment so far. I think part of the key is to 'unpack' the question correctly and construct a sound essay plan based around the guidance provided.

When I've completed this module I'm thinking to probably finish off with two 60 credit Social Science courses and that will be me done.

Good luck with TMA 02 everyone. Just a couple of days left to get it in now.
My results are in for TMA 02 and I got 65. I'm happy with that as it means that I have passed OCAS comfortably. I lost marks because I did not 'compare and contrast enough'

How is everyone else getting on. Has anyone started TMA 03 yet?
Reply 10
Hey. I'm on this course... got half of tma03 done but lacking motivation!

And i'm doing open degree as well :smile:
I'm hoping to study this module in the future! All of your replies so far have been very helpful! So glad I found this thread!
Nearly done!

Results in for TMA 03 - 72%

Leaves me needing just 30% for the EMA according to the assessment structure:-

"Your overall continuous assessment score (OCAS) is determined from your scores for TMAs 01 & 02 weighted at 50% each.

Your overall examinable component score (OES) is determined from your scores for TMA 03 and the Critical Review weighted at 50% each.

Substitution does not apply.

To be sure of passing you need to achieve at least 40 on OCAS and at least 40 on OES. You must also achieve at least 30 on the Critical Review".

The review appears to be about computer based cognitive behavioural therapy. I'm going to select CBT as my choice of theories to which I am drawn to the most. This seems like a good idea as it means I only have to read and learn about CBT and I can forget the rest. Seems like a plan.

Good luck everyone especially those people who are planning to do this course later on.

I can't say that I have found it altogether inspiring and barely interesting... but that's just me isn't it?
Done mine and sent it off.

A message of guidance for the final EMA submission 6th October

'Basically we are looking for 3 separate pieces for this assessment and there is no necessity to link them together, but such linking (especially between the first two parts of the assessment) would definitely be the kind of thing that would impress and might well be part of a decision to award a top grade. However, if a student did the third part as a completely separate element they could still get a top grade if they did that well (given it is a harder part to tie in).'
Reply 14
Hey all, I've only just found this thread.. I'm doing OU psychology degree, I don't do well with exams on the 60 credit modules so I'm hoping for top marks for this one!! Good luck all x
P.s just starting the online residential school
Hi old man river,
Im also doing an open degree with honours i was just wandering what you have to do for the TMAs for D210 are they long essays or just questions also what do you have to do for your critical review im starting this module next.
thanks for your help.
kind regards
lubna jebeen
Original post by lubna jebeen
Hi old man river,
Im also doing an open degree with honours i was just wandering what you have to do for the TMAs for D210 are they long essays or just questions also what do you have to do for your critical review im starting this module next.
thanks for your help.
kind regards
lubna jebeen

Essays are an average of 2000 words apiece sometimes split between a multi-part essay question. The critical review was based around the findings of an academic paper (extract) Nothing too demanding unless you're after a 1st in which case you need to take it more seriously then I did.

Results are due out at the beginning of December. Good luck all.
Hi old man river,
i just wanted to know if the tmas for d210 are long essays or are they just questions.im crap at long essays.wat did you have to do for the essays for this module please could you give me more detail.also what is a critical review and what did you have to do for it.

kind regards
lubna jebeen
Results are in.

Overall examinable score (OES) : 70
Overall continuous assessment score (OCAS) : 69

Shame OCAS didn't touch 70. Comfortable pass all the same.
hi old man river
i just wanted to know wat u had to do for the essays and the critical review for counselling explaining fear and sadness.

Quick Reply

Latest