The Student Room Group
Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David

Anyone doing motorcycle engineering related course ? Motorsport etc

Hi,

I wonder if anyone is starting Motorcycle/ Motorsport related course. It would be nice to share our questions and thoughts about the course.

Thanks,

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Yeah i'm starting the Motorcycle Engineering course in September (4 Years). Cant wait to get started, looks like a great course and the facilities look pretty good.

Don't know much about the course other than whats available on the website though.
Campus
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Reply 2
Original post by jballantyne
Hi,

Yeah i'm starting the Motorcycle Engineering course in September (4 Years). Cant wait to get started, looks like a great course and the facilities look pretty good.

Don't know much about the course other than whats available on the website though.

I'm starting exactly the same course :smile: 4 years too. Do you mind me asking how old you are ? I'm turning 21 in Sept.
Original post by reddevil93
I'm starting exactly the same course :smile: 4 years too. Do you mind me asking how old you are ? I'm turning 21 in Sept.

Nice one, yeah I'm 23 in a few days, travelling down from Scotland. Do you know how many people might be on the course? it seems like quite a small class.
Reply 4
Nice one, yeah I'm 23 in a few days, travelling down from Scotland. Do you know how many people might be on the course? it seems like quite a small class.

No I dont mate. I've never been there... I was gonna go last year but I was going through some financial problems and couldn't afford it. I live an hour from Manchester near Blackpool in Lancashire.

For me it doesnt matter how many people there will be on our course. I suppose the less the better as tutors can focus more on individual.

I've decided to do 4 years as I want to be fully prepared for my first year and I've not done maths related subjects on my A'levels.
Sport bikes and racing are my whole life so it should be fun.

Are you going to live in student accommodation ? I have applied for Mt Pleasent for my first year so I can settle down etc.
No I dont mate. I've never been there... I was gonna go last year but I was going through some financial problems and couldn't afford it. I live an hour from Manchester near Blackpool in Lancashire.

For me it doesnt matter how many people there will be on our course. I suppose the less the better as tutors can focus more on individual.

I've decided to do 4 years as I want to be fully prepared for my first year and I've not done maths related subjects on my A'levels.
Sport bikes and racing are my whole life so it should be fun.

Are you going to live in student accommodation ? I have applied for Mt Pleasent for my first year so I can settle down etc.

Its all good, yeah i was going to last year too but couldn't due to money. Yeah it doesn't really matter about the size of the class, should be good either way.

Yeah i need to do the 4 year, i have been out of education for 7 years and not studied since, didn't get any highers either. I am doing some studying to get back up to scratch, i love racing and sports bikes too, should be good. Not done that much riding, 125's etc but hoping to get a lot more experience under my belt whilst there, got a2 test soon.

I am in student accommodation, i applied for both mt pleasant and townhill, im not too fussed either way i just want to crack into as much study as possible to start with.
Reply 6
Its all good, yeah i was going to last year too but couldn't due to money. Yeah it doesn't really matter about the size of the class, should be good either way.

Yeah i need to do the 4 year, i have been out of education for 7 years and not studied since, didn't get any highers either. I am doing some studying to get back up to scratch, i love racing and sports bikes too, should be good. Not done that much riding, 125's etc but hoping to get a lot more experience under my belt whilst there, got a2 test soon.

I am in student accommodation, i applied for both mt pleasant and townhill, im not too fussed either way i just want to crack into as much study as possible to start with.

I have done few A levels but not finished them and only got few higher ones. At the end of the day I don't think it matters cause I can't see how for example ICT A level, English or RE could prepare you towards Motorcycle Engineering course. Yes of course you get used to writing essays etc but that's about it.

I've had my license since i was 17 and back in the day you've only had two years of 33bhp restriction and after that license became a full motorcycle license. So I lucky to get it all done in the right time. Now it's all messed up and you have some many age restrictions and certain engine sizes that you can ride. Which I think is a bit sad cause number of young bikers is going to drop by big numbers.

Anyway, let me know once you find out which accommodation you managed to get. Mt Pleasent was my 1st option and I'm hoping that I'll get it but you never know.
I have done few A levels but not finished them and only got few higher ones. At the end of the day I don't think it matters cause I can't see how for example ICT A level, English or RE could prepare you towards Motorcycle Engineering course. Yes of course you get used to writing essays etc but that's about it.

I've had my license since i was 17 and back in the day you've only had two years of 33bhp restriction and after that license became a full motorcycle license. So I lucky to get it all done in the right time. Now it's all messed up and you have some many age restrictions and certain engine sizes that you can ride. Which I think is a bit sad cause number of young bikers is going to drop by big numbers.

Anyway, let me know once you find out which accommodation you managed to get. Mt Pleasent was my 1st option and I'm hoping that I'll get it but you never know.

Yeah i agree, they wouldn't have given out unconditional's knowing that either unless they thought it would be possible to do well.

I wish i had done that when i got the chance, the new restrictions are such a hassle, not to mention you need to do your test twice if you go from restricted to full license. It is sad, i hope it doesn't put too many young riders off.

Yeah i'll give you a shout when i find out, hope you get what you want mate.
Reply 8
Hey! I'm doing the 4 year course as well! Had my license since I was 17 now I have a ninja zx6r :P how long did it take for the accomodation invite to come through after getting an uncoditional offer?
Original post by Haydn2613
Hey! I'm doing the 4 year course as well! Had my license since I was 17 now I have a ninja zx6r :P how long did it take for the accomodation invite to come through after getting an uncoditional offer?

Nice one! I wish I had done mine earlier, it's either a2 for a year or wait it out for a year then go full... Still not sure.

I'm still waiting to hear but you have to apply to the uni for a place as technically we ain't guaranteed a spot in the halls so do that if you haven't already.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you from and how old are you?
Yea I had a chat with the accommodation guy today, going to wait until they put up a website in a few days. But I'm from Frome in Somerset and I turned 20 in May.

I would wait for a year to do your A2 I'm not entirely sure on the new rules but if you do it now won't you have to do it again when you're 24? If so might as well wait and save some money.
Reply 11
Yea I had a chat with the accommodation guy today, going to wait until they put up a website in a few days. But I'm from Frome in Somerset and I turned 20 in May.

I would wait for a year to do your A2 I'm not entirely sure on the new rules but if you do it now won't you have to do it again when you're 24? If so might as well wait and save some money.

I think it's a bit unfair on you in terms of accommodation to be honest..... They are telling some people that they have to wait till June and some people were able to apply months ago just by emailing them with your preferences. That's exactly what I've done and got my place at Mount Pleasant confirmed just couple of days ago.

I've also had my license since 17 and got a CBR 600 f4i (first fuel injected model) for my first bike. Are you bringing yours to Uni ? It costs 500 pounds just parking (bikes) and I heared a lot of stories about bikes being stolen in Swansea.... I was gonna get a bike before I start Uni and bring it with me, but I changed my mind and decided it will be cheaper not to bring it with me.
Also amount of money I spend on petrol and tyres would be well of out my reach while studying there.

Anyway I'm looking forward to meeting you guys in September and I'm hoping that we'll have a best 4 years of our lives over there.

Just a little pic of my CBR :smile:me.jpg
Reply 12
By the way if you're on Facebook guys it may be good idea to add each other to stay in touch.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002945282382
I'm probably going to try and get into townhill mainly for the parking, I thought it might be a good idea to leave the bike back home but then I thought bugger that, I love it too much.

Also I heard Wales has some lovely bike roads and I think we are allowed to take our own bikes on the track on testing days.
Reply 14
I'm probably going to try and get into townhill mainly for the parking, I thought it might be a good idea to leave the bike back home but then I thought bugger that, I love it too much.

Also I heard Wales has some lovely bike roads and I think we are allowed to take our own bikes on the track on testing days.

I'm in the position where I have to choose between 'surviving' (financially) and getting a bike.... So once I'm settled and get a decent part time job then I'll start thinking about getting a bike. Obviously it will be hard especially with people like yourself 'teasing' me with your 636 :mad: but as I said we all have different priorities.
So i heard back about the student halls application!

Im in Gwyr Halls on Townhill Campus!

Cant wait!
Reply 16
Nice one... However I don't understand why would people go to Townhill if our course is based at Mount Pleasant :tongue: I understand social life factor etc but still....
Probably because its cheaper, there's parking available and if I live like a minute away from my course location then I will probably end up becoming even lazier which even I don't want :P

But I just got an email through today inviting me to apply for accommodation so now I just have to play the waiting game. Student finance haven't gotten back to me yet though which is a little concerning.
Reply 18
Probably because its cheaper, there's parking available and if I live like a minute away from my course location then I will probably end up becoming even lazier which even I don't want :P

But I just got an email through today inviting me to apply for accommodation so now I just have to play the waiting game. Student finance haven't gotten back to me yet though which is a little concerning.

Same here man... They're keep asking me for extra evidence, it took them 2 months just to tell me that what I have sent already is not enough. Now I'm going to send them my bank statments which go back to May last year just as they've requested.

However there is still plenty of time, from what I've seen on the UCAS website our course starts on 22nd of September.
HND Motorsport Engineering anybody?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending