The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
No, not saying that anyone has said it directly - it's more so an implied message that comes across through time on this section, I think. I just don't agree with it, as a lot of non-commissioned folk have done the rounds before joining and in a lot of respects know a load more about life than many a JO or SO's.

Nor am I disputing that most of the folk here are drawn to the Forces by its oppertunities, as an Officer. What I'm trying to say is that as much as the Officer branches sound appealing, the other route is not anything short of great either? Albeit coming from a question from someone who is interested in Officer, to say 'Officers are expected to show integrity and be honest' gives the impression that if you're not an Officer you don't have to...
Reply 61
I'm not trying to have a dig! Just something which gets on my wick, especially as I've been one of those said 'subordinates'. :smile:
Reply 62
This has turned into quite a good thread - some lively debate. To be honest I have seen a multitude of Dossiers that have the drugs waivers on them - from cannabis to cocaine. In the main those that have used class A have stated that it was once at Uni/College, had a bad experience, hated, never do it again and understand the RAFs zero tolerance policy. As for cannabis I hasve seen one who owned up to using it 20 times and still got in. From what I have seen it depends on the AFCO at the time.

As for abuse when in the RAF, if caught you are out in essence. You have to come up with a very good and plausible excuse that can be verified/backed up (as I have reported previously). As a matter of interest the Forces are now re-considering there zero tolerance policy and may actually consider rehabilitating class A users. Thoughts on that
Reply 63
I don't think the Forces is somewhere where people should be 'rehibiliated'; that's what we have jails for. However, I think people who have been rehibiliated and proved themselves to be worthy of, should stand a chance the same as those who have tried other drugs.
Reply 64
"20 times and still got in." Are you serious? What if you say you smoked it every day for 6 years but haven't touched it in 2 years now? No chance? If so then there's no point me wasting any more time and money going through the processes.
Original post by lufcwls
"20 times and still got in." Are you serious? What if you say you smoked it every day for 6 years but haven't touched it in 2 years now? No chance? If so then there's no point me wasting any more time and money going through the processes.

This thread is 8 years old so I'm not sure the people you are replying to will be around to reply to you.

It's best to be honest however I'm not sure how they would view you saying you had smoked it so much for such a long time. If there is any medical/police history relating to it on your records this could also go against your application. It would be entirely your decision how honest to be if there is nothing on your records, but integrity is a huge part of the Armed Forces. Subsequently if found at a later date that you had lied during your interview your application can be terminated or you can be discharged from the Armed Forces.
Hi,

I know many years have passed since this thread started but I have a related question.

I had an interview with the RAF about 6 years ago where I admitted to trying class A once when I was younger. I got refused entry into the forces.

6 years have passed and I still want to join the RAF. What are my chances if I was apply to again?
It depends what you have been doing since then. If you've not touched anything and been doing all the right things and you're not too old / have the qualifications / are fit enough etc etc etc then probably the same chances as anyone else.
All you can do is go to a Careers Office and speak to them.
Original post by ProStacker
It depends what you have been doing since then. If you've not touched anything and been doing all the right things and you're not too old / have the qualifications / are fit enough etc etc etc then probably the same chances as anyone else.
All you can do is go to a Careers Office and speak to them.

I have not touched anything else since then. And thank you! Put my mind at a bit of rest
Reply 69
Original post by Caveman25
I have not touched anything else since then. And thank you! Put my mind at a bit of rest

Caveman, just to reinforce what Stacker says, this from the RAF Recruitment site / Eligibility Check

Disqualifying Factors
The misuse of drugs, solvents and anabolic steroids can automatically exclude an applicant, but each case is considered upon its own merits

Would probably be wise to check with the AFCO to get a decision based on your particular circumstances, before you commit time to an application. Obviously you'll have to be completely up front about what you took, the quantity, frequency of use and how long you've been clean. I have no idea about the outcome, as each case is going to be unique, but I imagine a decision would take into account what role you wanted to do and the assessed long term health effects of the substance you experimented with, see this site as an example:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/drugs/Pages/Drugsoverview.aspx

Best wishes mate, we've all made mistakes.

Latest