The Student Room Group

Rejection changed into conditional. How common?

I got a rejection from Edinburgh about a month ago. I'm pretty sure it became official on UCAS and everything. Then yesterday both me and my buddy (who's in the same situation) got our rejections changed into conditional offers for the very same course at Edinburgh :smile:

Just curious. Does this happen every now and then? I suppose that some students turned down their offers. I'd just never heard of this before so if anyone could confirm my theory that'd be cool!
Reply 1
Original post by oskarbirol
I got a rejection from Edinburgh about a month ago. I'm pretty sure it became official on UCAS and everything. Then yesterday both me and my buddy (who's in the same situation) got our rejections changed into conditional offers for the very same course at Edinburgh :smile:

Just curious. Does this happen every now and then? I suppose that some students turned down their offers. I'd just never heard of this before so if anyone could confirm my theory that'd be cool!

I've never heard of this before.
Original post by 391iady
I've never heard of this before.

Ive never heard of it either
Reply 3
Original post by Emma:-)
Ive never heard of it either

it must be very uncommon then.
Reply 4
It happened to my friend, in a roundabout way. Newcastle rejected him, but offered him a position on their 'waiting list'. As he had an offer from Mancs, he declined though was disappointed as they were his #1. A month or so later, Newcastle (despite his declining them) offer him a place after all. I think he has accepted haha.

So perhaps something similar happened with you - you and your friend were put on some waiting list without being told, and your numbers just came up. (:

Why not email them and just ask? No harm.
Original post by 391iady
it must be very uncommon then.

Id contact them to see what they say.
No harm in asking.
Like someone else has already said, perhaps they didnt accept you in the beginning as they had applicants they thought where better but just put you on their waiting list in case any of their top applicants declined.
This seems alien. Wow. Lucky
Reply 7
Oh wow... Funny because I got rejected from Edinburgh on the 31st March and there was no reason to state why, the reason section was blank. I didn't look to follow it up because I wasn't too fussed but maybe they made some mistakes perhaps?

What course was it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Economics with business studies. My buddy had a curious theory. Since it's very late in the application process most people will already have made firm choices. We haven't because neither of us got another interesting offer. So he contemplated whether we were way down the waiting list - but that we were the only ones without firm offers already. Hehe..

We tried mailing but they wouldn't tell us. Either way, I don't really care. We're in. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Happened to me personally with Imperial. Was inititally rejected, then was subsequently made an offer a month later. It happened near the end of May/beginning of June. I can only assume this happened because they received less firm choices than expected for that particular course.
Reply 10

Congratulations. You are in!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is really unusual, so it would be best to contact the university ASAP to confirm they have offered you a place. Unfortunately, it's possible the offer may have come about due to a mistake.

Please do confirm everything with the university (in writing) before making any firm plans.
Reply 12
Can anyone confirm if they are allowed to refrain from allowing me a spot even if I upheld the conditions? In Sweden that would be illegal (by law a positive offer made by a direct or indirect employee of the state cannot be changed). Obviously I know they reserve certain rights - but I don't think mistakes is included.

Anyways, hypothetically speaking - if the offer was a mistake - I'd want them to find out as late as possible. That would make it harder for them since they would have to explain how they not only commited the biggest buzz kill ever, but also screwed the rest of my uni application over. Either way I don't have a plan B. :3
Can anyone confirm if they are allowed to refrain from allowing me a spot even if I upheld the conditions? In Sweden that would be illegal (by law a positive offer made by a direct or indirect employee of the state cannot be changed). Obviously I know they reserve certain rights - but I don't think mistakes is included.

Anyways, hypothetically speaking - if the offer was a mistake - I'd want them to find out as late as possible. That would make it harder for them since they would have to explain how they not only commited the biggest buzz kill ever, but also screwed the rest of my uni application over. Either way I don't have a plan B. :3

I'm afraid the law is different here and if it is a mistake, it will not be contractually binding.

If the offer was made by mistake then I believe there are ways for the university to get out of it. It would be a complicated situation, and you might be able to force them to uphold your offer (I know of this successfully happening with school places). However, it would be very difficult, and could cause problems for you.

UCAS offers tend to follow their own guidelines, as imposing contract style law on students-to-be wouldn't really work, and in this area there is precedent for mistakes to be corrected- especially as the mistake may have been made by UCAS, and not the university.

You really are better off finding out if you have a place ASAP, rather than leaving it until the last minute. This will make your life a lot easier and mean you are able to make firm plans for next year. Wating until the last minute will not make your case stronger.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending