The Student Room Group

How did you get your first job - 18 & still not managed it?

I've been trying to get work since I was 15, I've had one interview which was for a shoe shop, been rejected from McDonalds, applied for every supermarket in my area & newsagents. I did voluntary work last year because I was just fed up and wanted something to do but now I really need money. I've now just applied for some bar work seeing as I'm 18. Has anyone got any tips? I've had my CV looked over by a career service and they said its great and contains everything needed. I left school with A's and B's in my GCSE's and am now doing A-levels.

Scroll to see replies

Many places look for experience over grades, as it often means less training to do.

I got mine straight off from applying but I was lucky as my company (Sports Direct) often have lots of CVs to pick from. I know the current store I'm at has a pile like an inch thick from kids wanting summer work.
I'm 19 and never had a job :cry2:
Ouch

Well I'm going into the nhs sector after my degree so it's bloody easy to be a HCA/carer that was my first job

Second job was working in primark, they take on anyone, wage is awful but it was enough to keep me satisfied for 5 months lol
Reply 4
I got qualified as a Lifeguard and got a job pretty much straight away... unfortunately you have to be able to shell out £250 odd in the first place to get qualified and be able to swim pretty well on top of that.
Reply 5
Yeah only experience I have in in a kids infant school & charity shop, and I'm looking to go into the travel sector with hospitality so anything like bar work etc would be great but a lot of waiting jobs want previous experience, I feel like such a scrounger getting to 18 and not ever working a paid day in my life but I get £5 a week from my mum and my £100 bursary once a term which goes on books and stuff I buy for sixth form, I live in a village right now too so I'm also going to need mnoey to get for travelling to and from work, and my mum said not to put on my CV that I'm going to Uni next year otherwise they might not take me on, but nowhere has anyway
Original post by iJess
I've been trying to get work since I was 15, I've had one interview which was for a shoe shop, been rejected from McDonalds, applied for every supermarket in my area & newsagents. I did voluntary work last year because I was just fed up and wanted something to do but now I really need money. I've now just applied for some bar work seeing as I'm 18. Has anyone got any tips? I've had my CV looked over by a career service and they said its great and contains everything needed. I left school with A's and B's in my GCSE's and am now doing A-levels.

If you have had your CV looked at and it is "great" then the problem is probably you. I don't mean that in a horrible way but I look at people coming for interviews where I work and I know they will not get the job.

You are studying A levels so you cannot work full time. Bar work is great experience - you learn to deal with the general public and how to defuse situations as well as fending off the paws of amorous customers!

When my children have gone for jobs they have always been prepared. So even for something as simple as MacDonalds ( and one did get a job there) we went through what we thought would be asked. So food outlet - hygiene, good with customers; how do you deal with difficult ones. can you add up. Where do you see yourself in 5 years time ( and yes I know it was McD - but they do actually have a good career structure). Always be prepared to be flexible with hours..

We have done the same with all their applications as they have got older and invariably they have got the jobs.

Then you need to look at how you are dressed. Wild tattoos, piercings and funny coloured hair are all well and good when you are a student, but customers of any sort want to see normal looking faces. Make sure your nails are clean and you have polished shoes and a smart outfit. Smile ( but not rictus)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5hog-1RArFs/T2jGXs1v-uI/AAAAAAAADrI/m_T-qiF9PJo/s1600/rictus.jpg

Have a firm handshake and do not sit down until you are asked. ALWAYS have a question to ask - so if they haven't asked about where you see yourself - ask is there a chance of more responsibility after a period of time. Will there be a chance of overtime etc. DOn't ask about money unless they raise it.
Reply 7
Truth be told my brother worked in the same place and was a ****ing beast, nepotism ftw. Somehow I'e kept a place there for 2 and a half years, despite a dubious track record, I'm the king of collecting emails however :biggrin:
I don't actually know... I've had 3 interviews and 3 jobs though. Just act like you're the best and you'll get hired. It's what I did. :colondollar:
Reply 9
Original post by squeakysquirrel
If you have had your CV looked at and it is "great" then the problem is probably you. I don't mean that in a horrible way but I look at people coming for interviews where I work and I know they will not get the job.

You are studying A levels so you cannot work full time. Bar work is great experience - you learn to deal with the general public and how to defuse situations as well as fending off the paws of amorous customers!

When my children have gone for jobs they have always been prepared. So even for something as simple as MacDonalds ( and one did get a job there) we went through what we thought would be asked. So food outlet - hygiene, good with customers; how do you deal with difficult ones. can you add up. Where do you see yourself in 5 years time ( and yes I know it was McD - but they do actually have a good career structure). Always be prepared to be flexible with hours..

We have done the same with all their applications as they have got older and invariably they have got the jobs.

Then you need to look at how you are dressed. Wild tattoos, piercings and funny coloured hair are all well and good when you are a student, but customers of any sort want to see normal looking faces. Make sure your nails are clean and you have polished shoes and a smart outfit. Smile ( but not rictus)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5hog-1RArFs/T2jGXs1v-uI/AAAAAAAADrI/m_T-qiF9PJo/s1600/rictus.jpg

Have a firm handshake and do not sit down until you are asked. ALWAYS have a question to ask - so if they haven't asked about where you see yourself - ask is there a chance of more responsibility after a period of time. Will there be a chance of overtime etc. DOn't ask about money unless they raise it.

Thank you for this, I've always been blonde but last week dyed my hair pink but I'm dying it back blnde and would for an interview but I've not even had an interview since a year and a half ago and even then I was blonde, I have piercings but have always taken these out for interview and would for a job, I realise that as well any jobs I find are mostly so hard to fit around sixth form
Reply 10
I'm 18 and I've had three jobs :smile: I don't really know how I got them though, I have good GCSEs (all A*/A) but as previously mentioned, employers tend to preference experience over those, and I had 0 experience when I got my first job. I think that there's definitely an element of luck involved in getting interviews- mostly just being in the right place at the right time. Develop your interview technique as much as possible to ensure that when you do get an interview, you can really nail it and get the job :smile:
My first job was a supermarket temp job. You could try call centres though, they take on lots of people at once so you've a good shot there.
Reply 12
I've had 2 jobs so far-for one, my reference was a friend of the owner so he decided to try me out; the other I was asked through for an interview, at which point I was recognised as a regular customer. Both of my employers have talked about what they look for in staff though:

From the independent cafe owner:
If applying for a job by handing in a CV, always go in by yourself
Be friendly and honest
If you have to wait whilst a manager is being called, talk to the current staff whilst you wait (if possible). That way, both you and the staff get an idea if you would even like your co-workers, and it leaves a good impression
Dress appropriately for the level you are applying for-assistant roles=dark trousers/skirt and a dressy-ish top (think smart dinner with posh grandparents)
Put the phone away, and leave it until you are outside
And finally, just be yourself!

Now, from the big bad chain company:
Have a look at 'common interview questions' online so you have a vague idea what could be asked
They want people who look friendly and approachable, so smile a little!
One thing my manager said is that there are far more opportunities for them to take on someone for work experience than people realise, and if they like you, they may offer you a position, or at least keep you on tab if you ever apply for one.
Honesty (again) really is the best policy-I told my manager straight out that I was basically just looking for a job to give me the experience of working during my uni course (I start in September), so would just be there for 5 years, and because they know that they can plan ahead.

I'm sorry that the search hasn't gone well so far, but all the best for the next round of CV waving! I know you've probably heard this many times before, but just be yourself :smile: xx
Original post by iJess

Try asking friends/relatives who have jobs if there are any vacancies where they work. Sometimes its not what you know, its who you know.
Reply 14
Original post by iJess

It's the same all over .. if it makes you feel any better i'm 19 and i've never found a job ... i will be looking for one again this summer when i've finished my exams so yeah ... :s-smilie:
Reply 15
I just turned 22 in april and never had a job. Is this uncommon? :dontknow:
Reply 16
At the moment advertised is a job for summer work basically you live in a lorry for 3 weeks working 7am until 10pm everyday at shows across the country like country shows etc. £300 a week but everyone says its not good work conditions but I'm thinking at least it would be a start and a bit of money. Would you go for it? or would you try and get a better seasonal job
Reply 17
(edited 9 years ago)
I got my first job in 1996, I'll never the woman who gave a me chance. I the saw the job advert on the window and went in and filled a form, took it back and she phoned me telling to come in for a trial.
My first 'job' will be the Royal Air Force, but I really don't class that as a job. Much better than your average 9-5.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending