The Student Room Group

Former drop out, support and advice would be nice :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geebeeiii
It's starting to surprise me how many others there are who dropped out because of mental health problems. It's very reassuring for all of us I think :smile: I wanted to do nursing originally but I couldn't afford the access course and in the end I don't think it's really for me. Honestly I would tell the truth of why you dropped out- because of your health. It's important this taboo gets broken, and also it's nothing to be ashamed of. Now you are presumably in a better place to make a commitment to a course because you have life experience to tell you when you're ready to make a big decision like returning to university :smile:

I am thank god but it took me 4 years to get well enough. Unfortunately I will have these problems for the rest of my life which is something I've had to come to terms with. I think certain peoples views on here is why people with depression/anxiety etc are so scared to admit they need help. If you could snap out of depression there would be no need for antidepressants or psychiatrists since 1 in 4 people suffer from mental health problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by linnyloo87
I am thank god but it took me 4 years to get well enough. Unfortunately I will have these problems for the rest of my life which is something I've had to come to terms with. I think certain peoples views on here is why people with depression/anxiety etc are so scared to admit they need help. If you could snap out of depression there would be no need for antidepressants or psychiatrists since 1 in 4 people suffer from mental health problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep I would definitely like to know what makes these affliction-free people think they can diagnose who does and doesn't have these conditions? Are they doctors? I certainly doubt it given they're posting on TSR.

I definitely think the attitude needs to change but my belief is the only way of doing that is by coming out and talking about these things more. It's the only way to educate the ignorant.

I've had to accept it's always going to be a part of my life too and that I'm always going to be pre-disposed to it. Not only is it partially genetic, but depression is a disease of the mind. If you could get rid of it completely it wouldn't form in the first place.
Reply 22
hi, I am returning to uni this year after an 18 month break. I was studying Adult Nursing and had to leave for personal reasons. The Uni were very supportive when I contacted them about a return. I have to start from scratch but at least I am back. Hope all goes well with everyone who wants to get back to Uni, keep trying and you will get there.
Reply 23
Original post by Nosphorus
Thought I'd post about my experience:

I've been working since I was 16 in a retail job, and went into HE at the age of 19 but it was completely the wrong time for me. I wasn't in the best frame of mind and I had chosen a course that wasn't for me but I had thought it would progress onto what I had eventually wanted.
Due to depression and a home life that demanded full time work I left the course during the second year, my weight sky-rocketed (I hit 24 stone) and I went down a really dark path which took years to break out of.
A recovering opiate addict and self harmer later, I've managed to drop 7 stone over two years and my life did a complete 180, I am the happiest I've ever been, Ever.

I got an unconditional offer to a University to study a HND (which I would progress into a topup) in a course that not only interests me but is something that I have already had the pleasure of gaining some knowledge in during my National Diploma days at College.

Student finance have gave me a big no when it comes to my first year of Tuition and Grant, basically I'd need to self fund my living requirements and my Tuition while they've agreed to a maintenance loan (Doesn't fully cover accommodation), that is sadly money that I do not have, all because I dropped out when I was 19.
If it was communicated better that there are only so many years to study with financial support I'd of probably made the better decision at 19 to withdraw from a course I chose as a last minute offer to escape a low income job.

I almost felt like my life was taken away when I read that rejection letter this morning, waiting on an appeal which I doubt will help.

Make a firm decision on what you're going to do and stick to it...

Wow, I'm so glad to see you came out the other side of all of that. I do feel like they aren't very encouraging to people which is ridiculous. I hope the appeal goes well, don't give up hope!
Reply 24
Original post by BoriniLFC
Just wanted to post that I know how you feel and have been through it myself.

I had a uni offer to a decent university, but ended up withdrawing one week in as I didn't feel the course was right for me. I was going to apply to university last year but did not feel ready at all so I didn't apply for anything in the end. In terms of the reference, try contacting your old sixth form teachers and tell them what you've been up to since. I've taken some time out, getting some experience along the way and will be 21 when I hopefully go.

Goodluck!

Good luck with everything, it sounds exactly like what happened with me application wise. I just wasn't ready. I definitely am now though and I hope it goes well for you too!
Just a suggestion to the future screen writer read Neil gaiman's" make good art". Very inspirational and 20 mins well spent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending