The Student Room Group

Student Finance if living with girlfriend during University

I’m going to apply for Student Finance and am not sure how to go about answering certain things.

I currently live with recently made redundant single mother but will be living with girlfriend (also single mother but on slightly above average income supporting 3 children) from July after my exams.

Question 1. When applying i’m not sure which income to put, my mums or her mums? as well as this my mums only recently made redundant so her previous income won’t be the same by first University term as before.

I will not be being supported by her mother either drastically (however i won’t have to pay rent) so will need quite a lot of financial support overall (for food, travel (train) and education relevant things)

Question 2. if i’m living with my girlfriend for the whole time i’m at University and perhaps after do i legally have to move out or say i’m living there permanently or should i say i’m just staying away there during University.

Thank you
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by dylan245600
I’m going to apply for Student Finance and am not sure how to go about answering certain things.
I currently live with recently made redundant single mother but will be living with girlfriend (also single mother but on slightly above average income supporting 3 children) from July after my exams.
Question 1. When applying i’m not sure which income to put, my mums or her mums? as well as this my mums only recently made redundant so her previous income won’t be the same by first University term as before.
I will not be being supported by her mother either drastically (however i won’t have to pay rent) so will need quite a lot of financial support overall (for food, travel (train) and education relevant things)
Question 2. if i’m living with my girlfriend for the whole time i’m at University and perhaps after do i legally have to move out or say i’m living there permanently or should i say i’m just staying away there during University.
Thank you
Hi Dylan,

If you are under 25 and don't have 3 years of self support (prior to the start of your course), then you'd have your mum support your application. Even if you don't live with her or are financially dependant on her. Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Dylan,
If you are under 25 and don't have 3 years of self support (prior to the start of your course), then you'd have your mum support your application. Even if you don't live with her or are financially dependant on her. Thanks, Jason

thank you. if my mum was recently made redundant what would i put as her income/would i put a disclaimer that she’s currently out of work
thank you. if my mum was recently made redundant what would i put as her income/would i put a disclaimer that she’s currently out of work
Hi Dylan, it would be the 22/23 tax year we'd use. Has her income dropped 15% since then? Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Dylan, it would be the 22/23 tax year we'd use. Has her income dropped 15% since then? Thanks, Jason

she currently has no job but this is as of a month ago and i don’t she’ll have a job soon either. likely on benefits, however she was already on a low income so i’m not sure
she currently has no job but this is as of a month ago and i don’t she’ll have a job soon either. likely on benefits, however she was already on a low income so i’m not sure
Hi Dylan,

Your mum would need to support your application as normal but if the household income will drop by 15% or more in the 2024/25 tax year your mum can apply for Current Year Income. You will be able to get this form from the Gov.UK website and could be uploaded from your online account.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 6
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi Dylan,
Your mum would need to support your application as normal but if the household income will drop by 15% or more in the 2024/25 tax year your mum can apply for Current Year Income. You will be able to get this form from the Gov.UK website and could be uploaded from your online account.
Thanks, Drew

thank you for helping Drew and Jason ill make another post if i have another issue thanks again.
Hi Dylan,

You're welcome. I hope you have a nice night.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending