The Student Room Group

Stuttering

Hey!
Recently Ive been stuttering quite a bit. Its not every sentence and its mostly not when Im talking to friends. But say for example, a friend was asking for help on school work and I explained the work to them - then I would stutter!

Any lengthy sentence or words that have the "n" or "l" sound in them make me sound crazy, I had this problem two years ago as well, Im not sure what to do?
I'd go and speak to your GP if it's bothering you.

Do you have any idea why you're stuttering? is it nerves?
Reply 2
I used to stutter a little especially after a coffee. Generally I was trying to talk at the speed in which I was thinking which ended up in incoherent sentences. Slow down and think about a concept and then iterate it.
Original post by Tatman
I used to stutter a little especially after a coffee. Generally I was trying to talk at the speed in which I was thinking which ended up in incoherent sentences. Slow down and think about a concept and then iterate it.

Thats a good point actually, Im a quick thinker and maybe my mouth can't keep up with my mind!
I used to talk quite quick and I just had to learn to think before I speak and define my words well. Working in a busy shop and having to shout clearly has helped with my pronunciation! Maybe try wording difficult words out loud like you;re talking to someone?
I don't really stutter but I know I can talk incredibly quickly. Try to take deep breaths before sentences and collect your thoughts before rushing, basically just slow yourself down for others haha :biggrin:
I stutter all all the time and i am embarrassed about it but make a concious effort to slow down your speech and tap so that you sliw down

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I do this a lot too. More so when I'm nervous, of course, and I also believe it's a symptom of my dyslexia. But sometimes I'll trip up on certain sounds. But I generally manage it by pausing to take a breath.

Quick Reply

Latest