The Student Room Group

How to handle this tricky situation :/

Sorry for the length. I'd appreciate if you can read the whole thing, since I have no experience in this. But if not, no worries. It's just nice to write it down.

So I've liked this girl for a few months. I don't know many girls so these feelings were a first for me.

For a while when we were talking, I thought she liked me too, and I was about to ask her that. But literally at the same moment I was about to say that, she says "Can I tell you a secret?", and tells me that she likes one of my friends who is in the year above. A punch to the face if I've ever had one.

I dealt with this, helping her through her being upset about him having to leave for uni the next year. I still liked her, even though I tried my best to stop. At one point we were talking, and I told her that you shouldn't trust someone easily. I said some things that were perhaps slightly sensitive, but she completely over reacted and stopped speaking to me. Over the next few days I tried apologising, but she wouldn't respond to my messages, so I stopped.

I saw her a few weeks later at a gathering, but I refrained from talking to her in case she was still pissed. At another gathering a week later, she still wasn't talking to me. This was driving me nuts since I liked her quite a bit, she didn't know that, she liked another guy, AND she wasn't talking to me.

Finally, I messaged her that day when I got home that it was nice seeing you. Thankfully, everything got back to normal from there onwards, as if she'd never stopped ignoring me.

Yesterday, we were talking about revision, and she seemed to be slightly down because of an upcoming exam. I thought that now's a better time than ever, surely it would cheer her up? Wrong.

I sent her a message saying whether I could be honest with her, to which she said yes. I wrote, "Erm... I like you...". Oh the relief. I knew she liked someone else, but I knew I would go crazy if I kept my feelings to myself. Better to be rejected I said, but at least we could still be friends.

I told her that I didn't want this to effect her studies, and that her and the guy she likes should be together. She then asked me how long I liked her, so I told her about everything since we'd met. (This was done over Facebook). She didn't respond.

She then blocked me on Facebook. What...? I did say to her that she and the other guy should be together, so why block me? I could accept being friends with her, but now I don't think there's even a chance of that.

What should I do? I'm thinking of asking mutual friends, but there's no one I trust enough to divulge my feelings. There's no other way to contact her either.

TL;DR - I've liked a girl for a few months. She told me she liked another guy. I dealt with it. Yesterday I told her I like her and how I felt about her. She blocked me on Facebook (the only way I can communicate with her). Now I'm not sure what to do?

Also, I don't think I'm a creep or anything, nor am I that ugly (maybe average? idk :s ). We're both 17, and have several mutual friends.

Scroll to see replies

It's hard to judge without all the deets but I have one of two options for you:

a) It's pretty lame to confess your feelings for someone and then just hand them on a plate to someone else, or

b) She thinks the only reason you guys have been friends this whole time is because you fancied her and not because you see her as a genuine friend.
Reply 2
Original post by Viva Emptiness
It's hard to judge without all the deets but I have one of two options for you:

a) It's pretty lame to confess your feelings for someone and then just hand them on a plate to someone else, or

b) She thinks the only reason you guys have been friends this whole time is because you fancied her and not because you see her as a genuine friend.

For a), I know... I felt so pathetic doing that, but I saw it as the only way for us to remain friends.

For b), I've helped her with loads of stuff and we've had our jokes. But I treated her as basically a friend, although I thought I'd made it extremely obvious that I liked her. I would be happy (well not happy, but I it's the next best thing) with us being friends. I'm just really 'hurt' by her just shutting me down like that, and I'm not one for being emotional. At least we could've talked it over?
Reply 3
Give it time, let her sort her exams out first then go from there. From past experience I had a similar thing where we didn't speak for around 8 months - 1 year before we basically picked up where we left off!

The good thing is, you can accept the fact that for her to be happy she might not be with you and that's a big step! The next thing is trying to decide whether she'll be better off with you in her life or without and more to the point what she wants. If you can figure that out, you're a genius and must let me know how you did it!

Anyway the main thing I'm trying to say is give it time, she may come back around! All the best and hope it works out!
Reply 4
Original post by KGoodall
Give it time, let her sort her exams out first then go from there. From past experience I had a similar thing where we didn't speak for around 8 months - 1 year before we basically picked up where we left off!

The good thing is, you can accept the fact that for her to be happy she might not be with you and that's a big step! The next thing is trying to decide whether she'll be better off with you in her life or without and more to the point what she wants. If you can figure that out, you're a genius and must let me know how you did it!

Anyway the main thing I'm trying to say is give it time, she may come back around! All the best and hope it works out!

Thank you :smile:

I don't know... I've never been in a situation like this before, and she is the girl I know most well...

I've been in some tough situation, but I'd happily go through them again rather than this.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I've liked a girl for a few months. She told me she liked another guy. I dealt with it. Yesterday I told her I like her and how I felt about her. She blocked me.

Trust me, I know them feels; it happened to me last year in Year 12. All I can say to you is either wait till after her exams to do engage her again (she's probably got enough on her plate without you confessing your love to her), or try your hardest to forget about her. I know this second option can be quite hard because it's what I had to resort to, since she ended up going out with the guy. :angry: Anyway, I'm guessing that since you're both 17 years old you've also got exams so maybe you should also concentrate on yours.

Also, how could the two of you be such good friends and not have each other's phone numbers? :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by Gax
Trust me, I know them feels; it happened to me last year in Year 12. All I can say to you is either wait till after her exams to do engage her again (she's probably got enough on her plate without you confessing your love to her), or try your hardest to forget about her. I know this second option can be quite hard because it's what I had to resort to, since she ended up going out with the guy. :angry: Anyway, I'm guessing that since you're both 17 years old you've also got exams so maybe you should also concentrate on yours.

Also, how could the two of you be such good friends and not have each other's phone numbers? :s-smilie:

Thanks for the advice :smile: Really appreciate it :smile:

Yep, we're both in Year 12, and we've got our exams right now. I really hope that I haven't messed up her revision, because my feelings were messing up mine! I didn't ask for her number because I didn't have the guts... else it would've been really obvious that I liked her. I'm not a massively social person, so it would have been really out of character for me to ask her about it.

I can't believe I can't get over these feelings though...
Back off for a bit, be cool and don't try too hard. Do something to make her jel...

Posted from TSR Mobile
You sound like a really nice and genuine guy. Dont let it get you down Becuase evidently you have done nothing wrong. First she ignores you and hell you even try to apologise to her, imo she should be the one apologising to you, getting ignored for reasons of very little seriousness is stupid and she sounds like she needs to grow up abit 😁 the fact that she blocked you is the icing on the cake. Chin up dude, theres plenty of fish in the sea. Im sure she'll look back on her immaturity and apologise and try to win you back someday. Whether you accept her apology or not is up to you ofcouse c:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by tawaz1997
Back off for a bit, be cool and don't try too hard. Do something to make her jel...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahaha :biggrin: Any ideas?
Original post by swagyolo420
You sound like a really nice and genuine guy. Dont let it get you down Becuase evidently you have done nothing wrong. First she ignores you and hell you even try to apologise to her, imo she should be the one apologising to you, getting ignored for reasons of very little seriousness is stupid and she sounds like she needs to grow up abit the fact that she blocked you is the icing on the cake. Chin up dude, theres plenty of fish in the sea. Im sure she'll look back on her immaturity and apologise and try to win you back someday. Whether you accept her apology or not is up to you ofcouse c:

Thanks man :smile:

I dunno, she just seems like one-of-a-kind... I just want to get over her so that I can keep focused on my stuff.
Dont get why she would block you..a bit rude given that she didnt explain why? Give it time, or honestly try and move on, which sucks because its hard. But if she liked you she wouldnt have done that? And maybe you should have told her face to face, and not mention how long you actually liked her for..anyway hope it works out.

I dunno, she just seems like one-of-a-kind... I just want to get over her so that I can keep focused on my stuff.

Dont mention it mate, try forgetting about her At least until your exams are over. If you still really like her after i suggest actually speaking to her in person about it. Put her in the spotlight and see what she says. Good luck brotha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

Yea, letting go when you don't want to can seem impossible but, over time, you will start to think about her less and less and before you know it you will wonder what you ever saw in her in the first place. :smile:

Seriously, though, make sure you focus on your AS levels as much as you possibly can. It messed me up last year and as a result this year I've got to boost my grades up from ABB to A*AA, which is something you really don't want to do. :tongue:
Reply 14
Also just checking did she definitely block you? Because lots of people I know disable their Facebook over exams so its not a distraction, sure she isn't one of them?
Original post by KGoodall
Also just checking did she definitely block you? Because lots of people I know disable their Facebook over exams so its not a distraction, sure she isn't one of them?

Yup I'm sure.
Reply 16
It's not the end of the world. She seems abit OTT if im honest. Next time.. do it in person.

Like the first person said, she may think you were only friends with her because you liked her. SHe'll come round, ask to talk to her when everything has cooled dow, and just be honest. But don't make her jealous- it can work two ways. Just try and relax and carry on with your exams. You'll be fine.
Reply 17
It's not the end of the world. She seems abit OTT if im honest. Next time.. do it in person.

Like the first person said, she may think you were only friends with her because you liked her. SHe'll come round, ask to talk to her when everything has cooled dow, and just be honest. But don't make her jealous- it can work two ways. Just try and relax and carry on with your exams. You'll be fine.
Original post by Gax

Turns out I had her on Snapchat as well. But she's deleted me from there too :/
Original post by swagyolo420
x

Should I message a mutual friend of ours just to check if she's okay? The thing is, the person I have in mind is actually her best friend, and I don't want my friends to know that I like her...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending