The Student Room Group

Is economics a traditional A level?

I want to apply for biological science at oxford and York and basically top unis.
At A2 they want biology, either maths or chemistry, and another 'traditional academic subject'
im taking biology, maths and economics at A2, possible psychology as well. Is economics a traditional subject?
http://russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

Take a look at that link, it tells you everything you need to know. Really though, the top of the top like Oxford wouldn't consider Economics a 'traditional academic subject'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by omearatho
http://russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

Take a look at that link, it tells you everything you need to know. Really though, the top of the top like Oxford wouldn't consider Economics a 'traditional academic subject'.

Just goes to show how much you know about Economics... Don't listen to this person OP, they are wrong. Economics is definitely considered a traditional academic subject. Below is Trinity College at Cambridge's list of traditional subjects.

LIST A1
Generally Suitable Science A-levels
Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics

LIST A2
Generally Suitable Arts A-levels
Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jjmichaeljadson
Just goes to show how much you know about Economics... Don't listen to this person OP, they are wrong. Economics is definitely considered a traditional academic subject. Below is Trinity College at Cambridge's list of traditional subjects.

LIST A1
Generally Suitable Science A-levels
Biology
Chemistry
Mathematics
Further Mathematics
Physics

LIST A2
Generally Suitable Arts A-levels
Art History
Chinese
Classical Civilisation
Economics
English Literature
French
Geography
German
Greek
History
Irish
Italian
Japanese
Latin
Music
Philosophy
Religious Studies
Russian
Spanish
Welsh

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

You have basically proven your own point wrong, although economics is acceptable for Arts it is much more preferable to have something from list A1 for a science degree

Original post by ali_blue
I want to apply for biological science at oxford and York and basically top unis.
At A2 they want biology, either maths or chemistry, and another 'traditional academic subject'
im taking biology, maths and economics at A2, possible psychology as well. Is economics a traditional subject?

The list above is correct but no, economics isn't considered the best for a science, it's in no way a "soft subject" but you would have done better choosing something like chemistry or physics
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mubariz
You have basically proven your own point wrong, although economics is acceptable for Arts it is much more preferable to have something from list A1 for a science degree

The list above is correct but no, economics isn't considered the best for a science, it's in no way a "soft subject" but you would have done better choosing something like chemistry or physics

The OP asked whether Economics is a traditional subject or not, and I proved it is. I at no point, mentioned Economics in relation to a Science degree, making your point invalid. To further facilitate this, the requirements are clearly stated as 'Biology, and either Maths or Chemistry and another traditional subject', meaning that Economics would be perfectly fine. It does not however, state that the third traditional subject has to be a a Science. Moreover, the list does not show what A-Levels are suited to a certain degree, but show subjects that are acceptable from the two categories; Arts and Sciences. Therefore, you are wrong.
(edited 9 years ago)
My dad read Economics at Oxford (albeit 35 years ago). He studied economics, history and Maths. So I'm pretty sure that they do consider economics to be a "proper" subject. Also the condition of his offer was EE (he got CDE) because he figured he didn't try. Oh and he's also one of the most prolific economists in the country, so yes, I would say that economics is a worthwhile subject and to go for it!
It's also a good idea to have a range of subjects at A level - proves you're a "well-rounded individual" and all that stuff that universities lap up. Also economics links in well with your other subjects.
Original post by jjmichaeljadson
The OP asked whether Economics is a traditional subject or not, and I proved it is. I at no point, mentioned Economics in relation to a Science degree, making your point invalid. To further facilitate this, the requirements are clearly stated as 'Biology, and either Maths or Chemistry and another traditional subject', meaning that Economics would be perfectly fine. It does not however, state that the third traditional subject has to be a a Science. Moreover, the list does not show what A-Levels are suited to a certain degree, but show subjects that are acceptable from the two categories; Arts and Sciences. Therefore, you are wrong.

Traditional subject in general yes.

Traditional (or preferable) subject for a science, no.

And yes it does show what A levels are better for a certain degree. Let me quote it for you.

"All applicants for Computer Science, Medical Sciences and Natural Sciences will normally be expected to offer three subjects from List A1"

Economics is a traditional subject, what I meant (I did badly word my response) was that for Cambridge anyway it's not considered that good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz
Traditional subject in general yes.

Traditional (or preferable) subject for a science, no.

And yes it does show what A levels are better for a certain degree. Let me quote it for you.

"All applicants for Computer Science, Medical Sciences and Natural Sciences will normally be expected to offer three subjects from List A1"

Economics is a traditional subject, what I meant (I did badly word my response) was that for Cambridge anyway it's not considered that good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yes, I agree, Economics is never going to be a well suited A-Level for a Biological degree. However, I was going by what the OP has said the entry requirements for York and Oxford are, so they may differ from what Cambridge expect. And no, Economics may not be considered that good by Cambridge in the context of the student applying for a Science degree, however it is a well respected and considered traditional in the context of an Arts degree. Again, that may just be Cambridge. You are right about the lists though so I will take it back.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
In hindsight I should have chosen chemistry, but the chemistry department isn't very good at my school (at gcse we literally got told we had to teach it ourself using revision guides) so I don't really enjoy it,
would it look better to study biology, psychology and maths instead? Or all 4?
Original post by ali_blue
In hindsight I should have chosen chemistry, but the chemistry department isn't very good at my school (at gcse we literally got told we had to teach it ourself using revision guides) so I don't really enjoy it,
would it look better to study biology, psychology and maths instead? Or all 4?

I think economics would be better but it would be best just to ask the universities I think.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Mubariz
I think economics would be better but it would be best just to ask the universities I think.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks a lot! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest