The Student Room Group

Taking plants to uni

I am expecting to go to university in September. I have 13 plants currently, which my mum will not be able to look after when I leave home due to the nature of her job. I'm concerned about taking them to university. Firstly, there's the problem of the lack of space. I'm also not sure if my university rents out the rooms during half term and requires you to take all of your belongings back home with you during those periods. Obviously it would not be convenient (or even possible) to be travelling home and back with 13 plants every couple of months.
I've put a lot of a care and effort into the upkeep of these plants for the last few years, so I'm not overly keen on giving them away. Any thoughts on whether it would be possible to take some or any with me? Offers are at King's college and queen mary if anyone has any first hand experience of the accommodation requirements at these uni's
Many thanks,
Crazy plant lady
:blush:
(edited 9 years ago)
Your room can't be rented out during your contract period which will be from the beginning of freshers week to the end of summer term (probably slightly longer actually). The things that might be a problem are space as rooms in uni halls tend to be quite small and how much light gets to the plants.
There's no such thing as half term at uni, but there is the potential for your room to be rented out during Christmas and Easter - you'll have to check your contract / ask the uni. However, even if you can leave your stuff there all Christmas and Easter, you're going to be away for a month with no one else there who can water them :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tigerboobs
I am expecting to go to university in September. I have 13 plants currently, which my mum will not be able to look after when I leave home due to the nature of her job. I'm concerned about taking them to university. Firstly, there's the problem of the lack of space. I'm also not sure if my university rents out the rooms during half term and requires you to take all of your belongings back home with you during those periods. Obviously it would not be convenient (or even possible) to be travelling home and back with 13 plants every couple of months.
I've put a lot of a care and effort into the upkeep of these plants for the last few years, so I'm not overly keen on giving them away. Any thoughts on whether it would be possible to take some or any with me? Offers are at King's college and queen mary if anyone has any first hand experience of the accommodation requirements at these uni's
Many thanks,
Crazy plant lady
:blush:

it's portably fine to take some with you but you can't take them all you need to think whats practical how much pace do you have you may only have space for 2 or 3 you can take some but I can promise you you won't have space for all 13 in your halls.
Reply 4
I too am a crazy plant lady and i also have exactly 13 plants! I intend on filling my room with all of them, and even hope to add more once I arrive. I do expect them to take up a lot if not all of the space in a uni room but i am not somebody who has a lot of belongings and having a green garden like bedroom is a priority! my only worry is that they may not get enough light, but i am going to risk it because i find it extremely hard to relax without my greenery! Mind you, I wont have to move out during easter etc. that may make things a little more difficult! Anyway, i hope you figure it out and i am so glad i am not the only plant lover out there, sometimes i feel like a wrinkly little old lady!

:flower2:
Your main problem will be space. I took one plant with me to university, but 13? You will struggle to find a place for them all, there's fairly limited places to put a plant. Desk, window sill, maybe a couple of shelves, that's all really.

Also transporting them when you move in and out will be a pain, but you'll have to look at your contract to see if you need to leave during the holidays.

I would just stick to a couple of plants max, if you bring all 13 with you, most of them that aren't by the window will die due to lack of decent sunlight.
pick the ones that are the most robust and likely to survive and leave them at home?
Reply 7
Plants? Thats an interesting one. I they can fit in your room then I don't see why you couldn't take them with you. As for moving out of halls over christmas it depends on your accomodation and they will tell you that before hand. And even if they do make you move out there's no reason why you couldn't move them every three months or so.

Out of curiosity what possible upkeep other than watering it every now and then could a plant possibly need?
It should be fine! I don't think the accomodation office at your uni would be too stringent about keeping potted plants during term break, although do be sure to check the finer prints because some uni have you clear out your room during the break and off-load again when term starts!

Strange rules, but what to do! Make sure to keep your room tidy, as in no autumn leaves/dirt on the floor tonnes or sth! They're usually quite picky about cleanliness except you know what's strange? My halls presently has a bugs infestation despite the cleaner coming over weekly and our rooms being tidier than "tidy-whities"! :lolwut:
As long as it isn't any illegal plants then it should be fine in the room. The only thing to be concerned about is to make sure the container sits on something rather than direct on the carpet or laminate, obviously best not to let the water spill all over the room as the stains will be a sure way to lose your deposit.

13 will be problematic unless they are in fairly small containers. Your biggest problem would be how to get enough sun light for those plants. I think at most student digs you should be able to get away with having 6 in a room and perhaps you could consider having some in the kitchen too if it has a large enough window.
Glad I'm not the only one with this dilemma aha. Luckily, my home is not too far from the uni I want to go to, and mum doesn't mind looking after the more robust ones like succulents and spider plants.I have 17 plants, not counting propagations. My plan is to take the ones that require a humid environment (my Calathea and Peperomia)- they also happen to be low-light plants. I'll also take my propagations with me just to keep an eye on them.It does help that I'll be studying horticulture XD
Been worrying about this issue for the past few weeks as september inches closer and I'm actually surprised to see people with exactly the same problem?
Currently in ownership of 21 plants (+ 15 small propagations) which I most certainly won't be able to fit in my room and/or transfer over back and forth for the holidays - I suppose I will have to rely on my parents to care for my more 'robust' (as someone above put it) babies while I'm gone and care for my more sensitive ones myself (again, praying I have the space in my halls)😔 wish them luck lol

Latest

Trending

Trending