The Student Room Group

People claiming too be socially awkward

A gaining trend I've seen not just on the internet and in real life is that more and more people proclaiming themselves "socially awkward" or "antisocial". The problem now is that because it is being so overused people that are actually well and truly a pretty poor social specimen is taken as a joke.
For example me myself am extremely socially inept, and avoiding human interaction at great costs, and also having mild Aspergers makes a social interaction possibly awkward, henceforth i don't appreciate it when i try and tell people and they look at you as though you are lying.
Why do so many people, especially it seems a trend with hipsters, are people proclaiming themselves as socially awkward; when they are clearly not and are most often seen surrounded by friends? Something of which I struggle to keep!

Ps this was meant to anon but I don't know how to do it
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by karmacrunch
I kind of agree with you, there are some people who use that as an excuse to get out of things. :/
But I know a someone who is very socially awkward (if I'm allowed say that?), she's lovely but you kind of have to tread lightly. Very quiet, doesn't talk to practically anyone and keeps her head down.

I think that if you are not exposed to different social situations when you are young you might 'suffer' from this social awkwardness and not get out that much from life. (This does not account for everyone though)

Posted from TSR Mobile

My problem was I didn't live near anyone, as in our neighbors were about a 400m away, and I had a large family. So my dependence on other people was minimal. So when I went to secondary school my interaction skills were bare min.
I think I'm very sociable and get along with most people but I do have a bad habit of saying things which, on reflection, were rather rude or inappropriate. I'm not so good at gauging those boundaries. I'm much better at that online though where each response is, by its very nature, more considered and composed.

I think my friends just chalk it up to my loveable personality :smile:

^You know, as opposed to being a d*****bag O_o
Original post by kodlak
My problem was I didn't live near anyone, as in our neighbors were about a 400m away, and I had a large family. So my dependence on other people was minimal. So when I went to secondary school my interaction skills were bare min.

400m as in 0.4km? I can't really gauge how far that is but you could have talked to them I guess :/
What about primary school, did you interact with others a lot then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
400m as in 0.4km?
What about primary school, did you interact with others a lot then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they were at the other end of the road, plus they didn't have any other children. My primary school had about 5 people in each year and the building was about the size of a secondary school classroom. Then on top of that I had 2 of my siblings in the same school.
Maybe it is a trend, but some people are genuine, of course. I encountered social situations later than most because I wasn't very sociable in general. In school, I would call myself socially awkward. These days, I'm perfectly capable of being social. I just prefer my own company.
Original post by kodlak
Yeah they were at the other end of the road, plus they didn't have any other children. My primary school had about 5 people in each year and the building was about the size of a secondary school classroom. Then on top of that I had 2 of my siblings in the same school.

Ooh, that's pretty unlucky! :frown: What about secondary, is that any better for you now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RayApparently

I think my friends just chalk it up to my loveable personality :smile:

^You know, as opposed to being a d*****bag O_o

:rolleyes::yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say I'm pretty socially awkward :dontknow:
People are affected to different extents. It doesn't mean they don't experience it at all just because they don't avoid all human interaction. Also just because someone has a lot of friends doesn't mean they're not socially awkward. How people act with friends is completely different to how the act when they've just met someone. They could have struggled to build those friendships for years for all you know.
Reply 11
It really annoys me, too.

I have friends who think it's okay to say they're socially awkward, despite the fact that they have multiple groups of friends and often go to parties.

I mean, I avoid social interaction at all costs, and I sometimes get so bad talking to people that I end up having panic attacks and being sick.
Reply 12
Ooh, that's pretty unlucky! :frown: What about secondary, is that any better for you now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Secondary school was pretty bad sixth form better. University i can only hope will be great. The only real problem with secondary school was my dad giving me a lift to the nearby grammar school in his pick up that has a welded shut door and 2 missing wheel arches. People thought i was a traveller for most of my school life. Cheers dad!
Original post by kodlak
Secondary school was pretty bad sixth form better. University i can only hope will be great. The only real problem with secondary school was my dad giving me a lift to the nearby grammar school in his pick up that has a welded shut door and 2 missing wheel arches. People thought i was a traveller for most of my school life. Cheers dad!

Aww well I'm sure uni will be better as well! Just talk to lots people :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone one i know who has said that they are socially awkward annoys me. Not because they are socially awkward, i can understand it and the troubles it causes. What annoys me is everyone that i met, doesn't do anything about it. Doesn't try and attempt to beat it or at least reduce it. They just run away from their problem. That annoys me.

If your trying to beat it, you have my respect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not socially awkward, I can talk to people easily but I can't be assed most of the time so it looks that way. It's exhausting for my brain.
You do sound a bit like a douche tbh who are you to say everyone else isnt worthy of the label.

Just because some people have friends doesn't mean they dont h:rolleyes:ave trouble with social interaction.

I used to be shy and awkward in social situations but I quit being a bitch and complaining , I now have a solid group of friends , go out regularly etc.

What annoys me most is the people who do nothing to help their circumstances and then complain that they are in that situation.

Just like any skill sociability is something that can be learned , though some are born with it and others without.
Reply 17
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
You do sound a bit like a douche tbh who are you to say everyone else isnt worthy of the label.

Just because some people have friends doesn't mean they dont h:rolleyes:ave trouble with social interaction.

I used to be shy and awkward in social situations but I quit being a bitch and complaining , I now have a solid group of friends , go out regularly etc.

What annoys me most is the people who do nothing to help their circumstances and then complain that they are in that situation.

Just like any skill sociability is something that can be learned , though some are born with it and others without.

This reminds me of that classic bitch people have about people with depression "oh I was depressed once but I just stopped it and became happy" or the people with OCD "I would just not do that". Until you are actually In a situation when a doctor diagnoses you with asperges or depression and you manage to overcome it, don't attempt to tell people with a real clinical illness that they should just get over it!

This was essentially my point you have come along and said "I used to be shy and awkward in social situations but I quit being a bitch and complaining". Which is what everyone is now saying and people with a real social problem are becoming a joke.
Original post by kodlak
A gaining trend I've seen not just on the internet and in real life is that more and more people proclaiming themselves "socially awkward" or "antisocial". The problem now is that because it is being so overused people that are actually well and truly a pretty poor social specimen is taken as a joke.
For example me myself am extremely socially inept, and avoiding human interaction at great costs, and also having mild Aspergers makes a social interaction possibly awkward, henceforth i don't appreciate it when i try and tell people and they look at you as though you are lying.
Why do so many people, especially it seems a trend with hipsters, are people proclaiming themselves as socially awkward; when they are clearly not and are most often seen surrounded by friends? Something of which I struggle to keep!

Ps this was meant to anon but I don't know how to do it

good point and I learn to be aware of that next time

ah...I guess I have no illness as such...just my background led to mild social anxiety so..
I've noticed this too, but I really don't like those who complain about being socially awkward and then do nothing to change their situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending