The Student Room Group

Finding it very difficult to forgive my best friend?

I am in second year of uni, I have known this girl 2 years now and we have been extremely close since day 1. She is my best friend. Around Easter I admitted to her that I liked my course mate and good friend who she doesn't know personally but knows who he is. Then about 2 weeks later we went out and we got separated but next thing I know is I see her and him kissing, so I went over to say hi and give her a "what the ****" look and I am barely registered and they leave together. I then find out she slept with him.

It is kind of hurtful that he slept with her - the whole jealousy thing - and I am trying to make myself stop liking him, however I still find it very difficult to forgive my friend. She claimed she was extremely drunk and I do believe her and I know I have done things I regret and don't mean when drunk, I just can't help feeling very betrayed especially because she has absolutely no feelings for him. I don't even think she feels that guilty.

Am I in the wrong for feeling how I feel towards her? I have said everythings fine and I act completely normal but inside I am still really hurt by her actions and feel a lot of resentment. How can she actually be my friend if she did this to me? How can she actually care about me? All she does is say she didn't mean to do it but it's not enough and I wish it was because I don't want to feel this way. A lot of the things she does has started to annoy me.

Should I talk to her about it or just continue pretending and feeling how I feel inside? It's been a few months now and I still feel like this...

Scroll to see replies

.....Talk to her....? The only way you can resolve this kind of thing is by communicating. Otherwise how can she know how you feel this way?

Though I'm not sure what you're expecting her to do or say, it was a few months ago and she can't change what she did whether she regrets it or not.
Reply 2
Original post by seyrose
.....Talk to her....? The only way you can resolve this kind of thing is by communicating. Otherwise how can she know how you feel this way?

Though I'm not sure what you're expecting her to do or say, it was a few months ago and she can't change what she did whether she regrets it or not.

My main issue is that I just don't see how she can really even care about me as a friend if she did this?
Original post by Anonymous
My main issue is that I just don't see how she can really even care about me as a friend if she did this?

I agree with you I'd be beyond raging if a friend did that to me. Have a chat with her and see where she stands.
Reply 4
Original post by seyrose
I agree with you I'd be beyond raging if a friend did that to me. Have a chat with her and see where she stands.

Do you think it's an excuse that she was drunk? Because I do believe her that she was very very drunk. I just think it's so wrong though. I don't even care that much about the guy in all honesty in comparison.

I dont even know what to say though. Do I just say that I am still really hurt and angry about it? Because what you said is true, she can't undo anything that's already happened. But then I feel like being secretly resentful isn't going to do anything either. I dont know what can make it better. Especially that since it happened I just noticed all these traits about her that I don't like, and she can't help that.
Reply 5
Women trusting other women. Ha, perish the thought. All so predictable, you really need to learn how to be more cynical about these things and stop being so trusting. Imo, she is a typical snake in the grass. Women do this type of thing to their friends all of the time, it is all an ego trip for girls like her. Drunkeness just brings out our repressed feelings.
Do you think it's an excuse that she was drunk? Because I do believe her that she was very very drunk. I just think it's so wrong though. I don't even care that much about the guy in all honesty in comparison.

I dont even know what to say though. Do I just say that I am still really hurt and angry about it? Because what you said is true, she can't undo anything that's already happened. But then I feel like being secretly resentful isn't going to do anything either. I dont know what can make it better. Especially that since it happened I just noticed all these traits about her that I don't like, and she can't help that.

I can sympathise with her a little as I have been in a vaguely similar situation, (slept with someone I shouldn't have while really drunk) the difference I think is I genuinely regretted it and tried my best to make amends with who I hurt because of it. She doesn't appear to feel guilty from what you've said.

Its up to you whether you forgive her of course, I think a good way to start that is by talking to her and seeing how she honestly feels.
Original post by C.Almasy
Women trusting other women. Ha, perish the thought. All so predictable, you really need to learn how to be more cynical about these things and stop being so trusting. Imo, she is a typical snake in the grass. Women do this type of thing to their friends all of the time, it is all an ego trip for girls like her. Drunkeness just brings out our repressed feelings.

I agree drunken actions speak sober thoughts!

Though I don't agree with generalisations, of course not all women would do something like this.
Reply 8
Original post by seyrose
I agree drunken actions speak sober thoughts!

Though I don't agree with generalisations, of course not all women would do something like this.

"Girls like her", there is a certain type of woman who does this type of thing. I'm not going to put a label to it, but if there is no genuine remorse then well... people like her should be kicked out of the op's life asap. It is profoundly disrespectful on her part to carry on like nothing has happened.
"Girls like her", there is a certain type of woman who does this type of thing. I'm not going to put a label to it, but if there is no genuine remorse then well... people like her should be kicked out of the op's life asap. It is profoundly disrespectful on her part to carry on like nothing has happened.

Ah I misunderstood you. Yeah its pretty bad what she did, I agree she's not worth keeping around if she doesn't feel guilty. But IF she does, I believe in second chances!
If I was in your position I would consider focusing more on other things such as your studies.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
She's not your friend.
I am in second year of uni, I have known this girl 2 years now and we have been extremely close since day 1. She is my best friend. Around Easter I admitted to her that I liked my course mate and good friend who she doesn't know personally but knows who he is. Then about 2 weeks later we went out and we got separated but next thing I know is I see her and him kissing, so I went over to say hi and give her a "what the ****" look and I am barely registered and they leave together. I then find out she slept with him.

It is kind of hurtful that he slept with her - the whole jealousy thing - and I am trying to make myself stop liking him, however I still find it very difficult to forgive my friend. She claimed she was extremely drunk and I do believe her and I know I have done things I regret and don't mean when drunk, I just can't help feeling very betrayed especially because she has absolutely no feelings for him. I don't even think she feels that guilty.

Am I in the wrong for feeling how I feel towards her? I have said everythings fine and I act completely normal but inside I am still really hurt by her actions and feel a lot of resentment. How can she actually be my friend if she did this to me? How can she actually care about me? All she does is say she didn't mean to do it but it's not enough and I wish it was because I don't want to feel this way. A lot of the things she does has started to annoy me.

Should I talk to her about it or just continue pretending and feeling how I feel inside? It's been a few months now and I still feel like this...

I know you feel betrayed, but i think you also need to look at the long term, this girl could be a friend for life, hopefully a good one, do you really wanna cut ties because of this one thing? we all make mistakes, if she acts sorry or tries to make it up to you then youll know she cares, but maybe she doesnt understand or realise how much its hurt you, so you need to tell her, calmly and if she reacts well by being regretful and sorry then you know shes a good friend, however she could react by getting defensive or thinking she hasnt done anything wrong, so not a good friend.

its your choice, if this is the first bad thing shes done to you, then maybe you can forgive her in time, but if she repeatedly screws you over then do you really need someone like that in your life?

but also think of the positives she brings to your life. we're young and making mistakes and learning, maybe this is a mistake she needs to learn from. unless it was intentional then maybe shes not the type of person you want around.

i stopped being friends with a girl who was my best friend for like 7 years, my rock, then she fell in love with my boyfriend and things got nasty. i know dont have someone id call my best friend. so its your choice whether you think this is worth losing someone over.
I wouldn't be good friends with her after that, whether you like the boy loads or not is fairly irrelevant. If she didn't like him at all there's absolutely no need, it's like she's done it just to prove a point. If you have to live with her or she's on your course etc I would stay civil but don't tell her anything private again and keep her at a distance.

It's not about the boy, it's that she disregards your feelings to the extent that she would do that in front of you.
Reply 14
Original post by Chocolatesoup
I know you feel betrayed, but i think you also need to look at the long term, this girl could be a friend for life, hopefully a good one, do you really wanna cut ties because of this one thing? we all make mistakes, if she acts sorry or tries to make it up to you then youll know she cares, but maybe she doesnt understand or realise how much its hurt you, so you need to tell her, calmly and if she reacts well by being regretful and sorry then you know shes a good friend, however she could react by getting defensive or thinking she hasnt done anything wrong, so not a good friend.

its your choice, if this is the first bad thing shes done to you, then maybe you can forgive her in time, but if she repeatedly screws you over then do you really need someone like that in your life?

but also think of the positives she brings to your life. we're young and making mistakes and learning, maybe this is a mistake she needs to learn from. unless it was intentional then maybe shes not the type of person you want around.

i stopped being friends with a girl who was my best friend for like 7 years, my rock, then she fell in love with my boyfriend and things got nasty. i know dont have someone id call my best friend. so its your choice whether you think this is worth losing someone over.

Sorry to be blunt, but this is naive. People don't change. People don't learn. It is just part of their inherent character.
Reply 15
Original post by infairverona
I wouldn't be good friends with her after that, whether you like the boy loads or not is fairly irrelevant. If she didn't like him at all there's absolutely no need, it's like she's done it just to prove a point. If you have to live with her or she's on your course etc I would stay civil but don't tell her anything private again and keep her at a distance.

It's not about the boy, it's that she disregards your feelings to the extent that she would do that in front of you.

Correct, I agree. With people like that, you have to be a bit brutal to preserve yourself. It is a self-preservation thing.
Original post by Chocolatesoup

thank you this is a perfect response and just what I was looking for :smile: I think with time I will forgive her inwardly just as much as I do outwardly, especially because I want to. You're right.

Are you still with your boyfriend?
Were you definitely in a relationship with this person?

If so, cut contact with both of them.

If not, what the **** is the problem exactly? You can't bagsey people like they're an inanimate object.
Reply 18
Look, realistically she probably felt just as keen about him as you. And the opportunity came up for her. I think this is at some level a test of great friendship but it is certainly not betrayal in the same way as if you had been seeing him. Weigh up if you want to remain friends, but I believe it is a tough ask to turn down a relationship with someone you fancy the pants off because of a mate.
Sorry to be blunt, but this is naive. People don't change. People don't learn. It is just part of their inherent character.

read the sentences above that one. we are human, are you trying to say if you made a small mistake you expect everyone to stop being friends with you? then no one would have any friends. we all do make mistakes. its about realising what you did wrong and never doing it again thats a part of growing up. if that means losing someone just to make you realise youre an ass so you change your behaviour, then maybe thats what needs to happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending