The Student Room Group

Would lifting weights 5-10 minutes a day have any impact?

I'm thinking... I have some weights at home, and a little bit of time but I don't wanna do more than 5-10 minutes or I'll get bored within a few days like I do with most things

Is it even worth doing 5-10 minutes a day though?
Something is better than nothing bro. If all you did was biceps for 10 minutes a day you would obviously make some progress, albeit limited since you are not putting a lot of time and effort into making gains. Maybe those 5-10 mins will grow into more :biggrin:
Original post by TheLionHearted
Something is better than nothing bro. If all you did was biceps for 10 minutes a day you would obviously make some progress, albeit limited since you are not putting a lot of time and effort into making gains. Maybe those 5-10 mins will grow into more :biggrin:

Yeah I will probably do more on days where I can be bothered.

I don't need to lose weight, and don't want to get big or anything like that. Anything that will make me a little healthier/feel good and contribute to my golf drives will be good.
Believe me you wont get anywhere near big with this mentality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Building muscle is an art. It takes hundreds of hours of dedication in the kitchen and in the gym.

So if you're wanting to cheat the system and only put in 5 minutes a day, it's not going to work. The reason why everyone isn't walking around ripped is because gaining and maintaining muscle is hard, hard work.

Put the 5 minutes a day to better use and jack off.
Reply 5
It's far from optimal but it's better than nothing. Other factor is when people say they have weights they usually actually have **** all weight, especially in the context of training your legs.

But if you don't count warm up time and lift for 10mins then you should be able to get in a few decent sets. You probably want to do around 2mins rest, lets say your set takes 30s (don't actually time it) then you have 4 work sets. Then you want most result for your effort exercises so compounds- moving more than one joint. Something like:
M- squat 4x5
T- pull ups or chin up, start with negative if need be
W- overhead press 4x5
T-deadlift 1x5, squat 3x5
F-bench press 4x5
S- bent over row 4x5
S- rest or curls if you must

each session add 5kg to squat and deadlift, 2.5kg bench, row and press. If you fail to get the required reps then repeat, if you fail twice decrease weight by 10%. If you find yourself needing to reset quite soon after another reset then decrease the weight added each session. Start with 20kg (10kg each is using dumbells) on everything, it's light but lets you learn form and adding weight every week adds up quick. This is likely where you quickly realise you don't have enough weight at home and that's why most people join gyms.

If you don't have a rack to squat out of then at first you should still be able to lift the weight onto your back, in time you might switch to front squats and learn to power clean the weight up. This will also become a problem in time which again join a gym.

If you don't have a bench then there's no real alternative in terms of strength exercises but for vanity lifting you can do flies for pecs then you probably want to add in something for triceps though two exercises takes more time
Don't bother. Better not to risk getting bored. What's on TV tonight?
Reply 7
Original post by Michael!

Dem wrist and tricep gains tbf :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by Michael!
Building muscle is an art. It takes hundreds of hours of dedication in the kitchen and in the gym.

So if you're wanting to cheat the system and only put in 5 minutes a day, it's not going to work. The reason why everyone isn't walking around ripped is because gaining and maintaining muscle is hard, hard work.

What do you recommend in terms of 'the kitchen' like i know chicken is good as its high in protein. What else?
Original post by cdude
What do you recommend in terms of 'the kitchen' like i know chicken is good as its high in protein. What else?

Have a look at www.musclefood.com. Eating big/healthy can be expensive, but they offer bulk bundles which are good value for money.

Turkey, salmon, pork tenderloin, egg whites, steak. All are high in protein and low in fat. If you're working hard in the gym then you need to fuel your workouts as well. 'Protein to grow, carbs to go'. You need carbs to fuel your workout; complex ones to be precise.

On a typical day I'll have:

Breakfast: Porridge and 6 egg white omelette. Protein Shake, BCAA's, Multivit, pre-work out (then go to gym).

Post Workout: an MRE (meal ready to eat) from www.musclefood.com. Post workout shake.

Lunch: 3 Cajun chicken breasts with sweet potato and veggies.

Mid Afternoon: Tuna Pasta with protein shake.

Dinner: Steak and salmon (2 fillets) with salad.

Pre bed: Night time protein casien (slow release). Peanut butter sandwich. Water.

I only ever eat carbs to meet my daily needs. That way I don't put on fat but I have enough to fuel workout. Healthy fats are important so don't neglect them. Multivitamins are essential IMO. You can integrate creatine which is relatively inexpensive if you want, I choose not to but a lot of people do. If I could eat all of my protein I would, I'm not a fan on drinking it but I simply don't have the time to stay in the kitchen all day. Protein shakes are a quick and easy way. Water is also important. That's all I drink.
Reply 10
so you want to get swole from 10 minutes of curls?

youve got to be joking
.......... that and cock push ups. That's how pudzianowski used to train for strongman.
I have a quick question:

Can anybody recommend a set of cheap weights for use at home, even it is a set of dumbbells?

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest