Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you do cheek kissing in formal situations, I find it embarrassing Watch

Announcements

I was interested to when you do cheek kissing.
    it is something I've never done but my family are not the type who go to parties and stuff. However, when we were staying at a siblings house and meeting her partner , everyone was doing it and I found it strange. I don't really like hugging either. I'm fine just saying , 'bye' .

So when will you adopt the kissing on both cheeks? And do you find it awkward?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was interested to when you do cheek kissing.
    it is something I've never done but my family are not the type who go to parties and stuff. However, when we were staying at a siblings house and meeting her partner , everyone was doing it and I found it strange. I don't really like hugging either. I'm fine just saying , 'bye' .

So when will you adopt the kissing on both cheeks? And do you find it awkward?
    I'm kind of the same. I hate all this physcal contact, especially when I'm expected to hug some relative I barely know just because it's 'what you do.' When I go out with friends they are always hugging and stuff, it's awkward and I just stand there like

ReputationRep:
    I find cheek kissing a bit awkward. Thankfully it doesn't arise very much. I like hugging though :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I cheek kissed the dean of admissions to my local poly after told he was gay.

Spoiler:
    Show
    He wasn't gay :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I do because its also a cultural thing too. Its only awkward for me when its random people and random older relatives. I don't do it with friends though..

ReputationRep:
    I'm okay with it. My family and close friends get cheek kissed hello and goodbye so I guess I'm just used to it

ReputationRep:
    My family do it and it's very common in other countries.

ReputationRep:
    Hand kissing and cheek kissing is to awks for me.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a really awkward thing that middle aged people do (in my experience, anyway), I think it's cringeworthy.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I would find a cheek kiss awkward unless it was from my gran since I'm used to that. Any other person I would just prefer a hug or a handshake when I leave.

ReputationRep:
    I find the whole human social interaction thing embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why people feel the need to touch each other when entering or leaving a social interaction. "Hi" and "Bye" are sufficient to me.

ReputationRep:
    I feel pretty uncomfortable with it. Really I don't want to hug or kiss people I don't feel some genuine affection for. Seems most feel the same, so I wonder why it persists.

Even worse in the European meeting arena where you don't understand the 1, 2 or 3 kiss etiquette and blokes can sometimes do it too.

ReputationRep:
    Fish slap... thats where it is at lol

ReputationRep:
    I feel pretty uncomfortable with it. Really I don't want to hug or kiss people I don't feel some genuine affection for
    Pretty much this

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes never intentionally by me though could be a family friend usually female though never done it with a guy definitely would not. I just go along with it it's not really a big deal for me not something I would do to anyone else though I find people especially women are really defensive of their personal space some even finding hugs uncomfortable and an invasion of their space so goodbye or hello is usually how I greet.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.