The Student Room Group

Girls, 6 months worth of clothes to wear?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BenAssirati
I see...

Still confused why girls need so many.

Just counted 18 pairs. And I want more. I love shoes.
Original post by SmallTownGirl

Reply 22
Original post by Technetium
I made the mistake of taking a lot of cothes. I didn't wear approximately 40% of them so during the Christmas holidays I had to take them home. I would advise you to organise your clothes into a series of outfits that you can rotate on a two/three week basis. For exampe, I have 20 outfits (I sometimes mix and match items from different outfits) and I probably repeat the outfits once every two/three weeks. Ensure you have clothing for the weekends, going out etc..

With regards to shoes I have one pair that comes in different colours and I own 5 pairs of that shoe. I also have a pair of boots for Winter, 1 pair of Converse, 1 pair running shoes and 3 pairs of heels. For me, those are sufficient for the entire academic year.

In terms of numbers of each clothing items I took:

Skirts: 10
Dresses: 5
Blazers and Jackets: 10
Blouses: 15
T-shirts: (mainly for lounging/ sleeping in): 6
Fitted shirts: 5
Pyjamas: 3 pairs
Vests: 10
Hoodies: 3
Shoes: 11 pairs

This was helpful, i only have 11 pairs of shoes anyway and was thinking of cutting amount i take. I dont wanna ruin my boots in suitcase.

Original post by JodieH1996
I'm thinking about this too. Also how many 'going out' sort of clothes/shoes to bring! Will probably end up doing the take everything out and see what I actually wear thing..

I can for a fact says 13pairs of shoes fit in them hand luggage suitcases.

Original post by rebecca095
Feel like if i take little I'll want to buy more!!

Same, I was thinking I take a reasonable amount like i took on holiday then maybe switch between cities and bring some home, but that is too much effort.

Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I took an insane amount of clothes in first term and quickly realised I didn't wear half of them so took loads back to christmas. I'd say maybe as a guide

3 pairs of jeans
3 skirts
A few nice tops
5 or 6 casual tops
3 cardigans or jumpers
3 pairs of shorts
A few going out dresses
A jacket or light coat
2 pairs of trainers (converse/vans)
A pair of flip flops
A pair of smart flats
A pair of heels

You will be able to buy clothes when you're there. It's better to pack light than find you've got no room for everything when I you get there.

The thing with me is I dont consider any of my clothes as 'nice or 'not nice' because i think they are all'nice' and good for all occassions. Like some people might have a certain top they would only wear on a night out or somewhere specific but most of my clothes are generic. I like to mix and match. Like a vest top with jeans and leggings might seem casual but then if i pair with with pallazzo's it looks proper nice. that's why i am finding it hard to decide what to take.

The reason i made this thread to find out what other have taken. As i do not want to carry that huge ugly suitcase with all my clothes. And I am the type of person to take something with me just for the sake of wearing it once. Like i feel i look really nice in a certain jeans, so Id only wanna bring it to wear it once

lol
The 'worst' thing is I need to buy one of those clothes rail things for next year because all my dresses and skirts don't fit into my wardrobe. Also need to buy a second chest of drawers. My room next year is going to be all furniture.
I am concerned about this as well. I am not fussy about my clothes and often repeat the same outfit.

I was thinking maybe 10 skirts/dresses, 10 nice blouses, a few t shirts and couple pairs of jeans and some pyjamas but I have not made my mind up.

All I have decided is that I have one suitcase for clothing/shoes etc and am not allowed anymore than that x
Reply 25
Original post by Palewolfe
I am concerned about this as well. I am not fussy about my clothes and often repeat the same outfit.

I was thinking maybe 10 skirts/dresses, 10 nice blouses, a few t shirts and couple pairs of jeans and some pyjamas but I have not made my mind up.

All I have decided is that I have one suitcase for clothing/shoes etc and am not allowed anymore than that x

...Life withhout a car D:
Original post by Alumna
...Life withhout a car D:

I know. The troubles of being a new student -.-* x
I need a new wardrobe.
Reply 28
Original post by maryamzahid
I need a new wardrobe.

Rails are cheaper
less than 20quid
OR portable wardrobes that are like tents

I know. The troubles of being a new student -.-* x

The embarrassment :P
Original post by Alumna
Rails are cheaper
less than 20quid

Haha tell me about it! Going thru my clothes though I am having heated internal debates about whether or not to actually take something to uni. My mum thinks it is amusing lol x

Oh man that post is worth it just for Jenson :wink: lol that has made this thread so much sassier
Reply 31
Haha tell me about it! Going thru my clothes though I am having heated internal debates about whether or not to actually take something to uni. My mum thinks it is amusing lol x

LOL
I ain't even looked at my stuff yet, probs will decide one day before i leave..
Original post by Alumna
LOL

I'm at least waiting till after results day!
Original post by Alumna
Rails are cheaper
less than 20quid

I think I'm getting a rail when I move into my new house because I have like two wardrobes worth of clothes.
Original post by Alumna
LOL

Oh no I have to have everything sorted before hand otherwise I just freak out x

Take it. Take it all.

It's going to take at least 4 trips for me to move all my stuff next month. It took two last time and I've gained stuff and furniture and my parents have a considerably smaller car now.

Luckily it's only 5 minutes down the road.
Take it. Take it all.

It's going to take at least 4 trips for me to move all my stuff next month. It took two last time and I've gained stuff and furniture and my parents have a considerably smaller car now.

Luckily it's only 5 minutes down the road.

You are so lucky!! I have 2 hrs drive away from my family and we have a tiny car. We are considering a king our neighbour if we could borrow his van!!!
You are so lucky!! I have 2 hrs drive away from my family and we have a tiny car. We are considering a king our neighbour if we could borrow his van!!!

Oh no, my family lives 3-4 hours away. But I live here full time now so I have all my stuff. Very little of my belongings are with my parents.
Oh no, my family lives 3-4 hours away. But I live here full time now so I have all my stuff. Very little of my belongings are with my parents.

Oh I am so sorry. I thought you meant they were just a town over
Oh I am so sorry. I thought you meant they were just a town over

God no. I couldn't live so close to them. The idea of bumping into them when I'm out with friends. Awful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending