The Student Room Group

Are these the only Universities worth going to for law?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
A lot of law graduates don't end up working at top firms. Plenty will even end up in careers not directly related to law.

Yes, top law firms are interested in the university you went to. They'll generally want you to have gone somewhere old and prestigious, and some will even like you to have done a different degree and a law conversion later on.

However, there are plenty of options for people who haven't studied at the most prestigious universities. Not everyone who studies law might want to work at a top firm. Some may prefer to work for a smaller solicitors, or work in a capacity where law knowledge is useful such as HR, or maybe teach, or even go in a totally different direction entirely.

I'm going to speculate that Imperial isn't on the list because it mostly focuses on STEM subjects, and transfers from these subjects to law at postgrad level are rarer than from the humanities.

Also, don't forget that you do have to live at and study at your chosen university for 3 (or more) years. Don't pick somewhere you aren't keen on purely because of the graduate prospects. If you're miserable, then you won't get the best grades, which are also important.

what if you was to do a degree at a 'lower' university then at a conversion course at a higher one, do you know how this would work?
Yeah, I've seen a number of science graduates etc on firm websites who later pursued law.

I'm assuming you've seen the 'what is a good university' document on chambers student. What's interesting is that it didn't take into account the subject studied. So of course Imperial graduates did have some presence overall in London firms.

I think that's pretty cool.

Original post by Birkenhead
While this is true it doesn't justify its omission. It's one of the UK's best and most competitive universities and provides some of the best students of STEM subjects which are often useful in law - e.g. chemical engineering in pharmaceuticals - an expert edge that humanities grads couldn't hope to imitate.
You haven't even started university, but I don't need to be a solicitor to understand that the start of a glittering legal career does not consist of giving a QC a handjob. Your education is supremely important...speaking as someone whose parents are both barristers let me tell you from experience that it means absolutely nothing. The most you'll get out of even the closest of connections in this industry is a day or two informally shadowing a barrister so that you can see what it's like for yourself.

My sister is a solicitor lmao. Your education just isn't as important as having connections.

Doesn't matter if you graduated top of your class. The only important thing is having the name of a decent law firm on your CV. And the easiest way to get into one is having friends in HR etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness
My sister is a solicitor lmao. Your education just isn't as important as having connections.

Doesn't matter if you graduated top of your class. The only important thing is having the name of a decent law firm on your CV. And the easiest way to get into one is having friends in HR etc.

Rubbish.

It is fairly easy to get decent work experience placements. The Inns of Court arranges all sorts for those wanting to go to the bar. I had no legal connections and was easily able to get a large number of big names onto my CV.

Recruitment processes really do mean that having connections is of limited value. I think it would be highly unlikley for someone to get a job just because they know someone at the firm/chambers.

I see that you are beginning 3D games art at Hertfordshire university in September...and I'm tempted to offer the suggestion that you should defer to people like Turbocretin and InnerTemple who have spent years learning about law both academically and professionally - not one such well-informed individual will say anything noticeably different from what's already been said. Connections in law, while useful for personal understanding, mean nothing towards your career whatsoever. Your sister supposedly being a solicitor does nothing to invalidate any of this unless you're going to have us believe that after a few dinner parties her law degree from Edge hill was no longer a barrier to TC at Slaughter & May.
(edited 9 years ago)
I see that you are beginning 3D games art at Hertfordshire university in September...and I'm tempted to offer the suggestion that you should defer to people like Turbocretin and InnerTemple who have spent years learning about law both academically and professionally - not one such well-informed individual will say anything noticeably different from what's already been said. Connections in law, while useful for personal understanding, mean nothing towards your career whatsoever. Your sister supposedly being a solicitor does nothing to invalidate any of this unless you're going to have us believe that after a few dinner parties her law degree from Edge hill was no longer a barrier to TC at Slaughter & May.

well you're wrong on that one.

My sister has worked in a few different international firms so has studied law both academically and professionally and she'd disagree. She was working on that hostile take over of that Scottish company that was quite big in the news a few months ago. I'm just repeating what she's always said lel. + the reality of what actually happened with most of the people she knows.
they should have been studying law in the US anyway if they want a job in a US law firm. Seeing as in the UK they'l be learning British law lol.

Connections = easy mode. Only thing that matters rofl.

you only need a friend in a decent law firm to get you a job. Then after that it's just easy to get a job anywhere.

your grades and uni just don't matter in comparison to that. Experience is more important.

It's embarrassingly clear you don't have a clue what you're talking about, I'd recommend you stop commenting on this thread. There is no nepotism involved in applying for a VC and a TC and US law firms, like US ones, are multinational and operate across many jurisdictions.

My sister has worked in a few different international firms so has studied law both academically and professionally and she'd disagree. She was working on that hostile take over of that Scottish company that was quite big in the news a few months ago. I'm just repeating what she's always said lel. + the reality of what actually happened with most of the people she knows.

I'm prepared to overlook the opinions that may or may not be held by individuals who may or may not exist (no matter how impressive their involvement in vague incidents that may or may not have taken place) in favour of the overwhelming consensus of individuals I can say with confidence exist and are as qualified to know about this issue as they claim, including my parents, their friends, experienced TSR posters such as some in this thread, the legal blogs of distinguished lawyers and legal publications such as the one referenced. Your stubbornness on this issue becomes arrogance in the face of such a volume of opposition from so many better-informed sources.
(edited 9 years ago)

The big firms simply don't hire graduates on the basis of connections to the firm. The only thing that I can imagine your sister was referring to would have been a partner or member of HR 'looking out' for an application you send in. If they've met you and know you're a fairly bright and functional human being, they may do this to give you a better chance of getting past the first sift. But given the thousands of applications that these firms receive, that's a far cry from being handed a job. It's also quite a loose use of the word 'connection', as you can gain the benefit of this sort of watchful eye from something as brief as a twenty minute chat at a university law fair. And, crucially, so can anybody else.

Are you sure she wasn't talking about the hiring of qualified lawyers?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm prepared to believe that ChickenMadness is not trolling, but given his outstanding ignorance (including the belief that you can't work for a US law firm if you studied 'British' law), I suggest the usual rule of 'don't feed the trolls' should nevertheless be applied in his case.
Yes definitely you would need to attend one of those firms really to have a competitive chance of securing a training contract at a good city law firm- however some universities such as liverpool are surprising on that list, personally I would advise aiming higher
It depends entirely on what you want from your law degree, but if what you want is a TC/P at a good firm/chambers which will open doors for the future then it seems so; for that this list could even do with a trim depending on your ambitions.

Out of interest, what universities would you cut from that list?
Original post by ThatGirl276
Out of interest, what universities would you cut from that list?

That depends on what sort of firms/chambers you want to apply to.
Original post by InnerTemple
Rubbish.

It is fairly easy to get decent work experience placements. The Inns of Court arranges all sorts for those wanting to go to the bar. I had no legal connections and was easily able to get a large number of big names onto my CV.

Recruitment processes really do mean that having connections is of limited value. I think it would be highly unlikley for someone to get a job just because they know someone at the firm/chambers.

what if you was to do a degree at a 'lower' university then at a conversion course at a higher one, do you know how this would work?
anyone? :smile:
To be honest, yes. They're the best and they'll give you the best chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
While this is true it doesn't justify its omission. It's one of the UK's best and most competitive universities and provides some of the best students of STEM subjects which are often useful in law - e.g. chemical engineering in pharmaceuticals - an expert edge that humanities grads couldn't hope to imitate.

Wouldn't that be more for people who already have some relevant technical experience in their field, though, as opposed to fresh graduates?
Reply 36
Just wanted to say that I graduated from a pretty bad uni (barely top 50), yet I've been offered training contract interviews by a few magic circle law firms. I'm not implying that this is the norm, but clearly it is in fact very much possible. Saying that graduates from lower-ranking institutions shouldn't even contemplate a career in prestigious city law firms is misleading (provided the applicant fulfils the minimum academic requirements of course).
Reply 37
That depends on what sort of firms/chambers you want to apply to.

Say you wanted to apply to a top 5 city law firm, like linklaters or clifford etc
they should have been studying law in the US anyway if they want a job in a US law firm. Seeing as in the UK they'l be learning British law lol.

LOL

Not only do you know absolutely nothing about medicine and dentistry, but you also know nothing about Law.
My cousin goes to Uni of Wolverhampton and he does law...he's getting straight A's...not sure if it's good or not but it sounds okay to me considering the people in his uni get quite top grades. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter where you study all that matters is how much effort YOU yourself put in and how determined you are!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending