The Student Room Group

Sick and tired of this ... no food in the fridge ...?

Right, so I'm sick and tired of waking up in the mornings to seeing no food in the fridge. I haven't had lunch at my house for the last 3 weeks... the only time I can get decent dinner is at my GF's house - her parents always invite me over.

Before you start jumping onto the "You're old enough to get a job" ... I'm not. I've tried to get jobs, but I haven't been able to get one. The fact is that my parents have an 8 year old daughter who is constantly hungry too.

Why do my parents never bother doing a massive shop up and get food for everyone... we're a family of 6 god damn it!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Right, so I'm sick and tired of waking up in the mornings to seeing no food in the fridge. I haven't had lunch at my house for the last 3 weeks... the only time I can get decent dinner is at my GF's house - her parents always invite me over.

Before you start jumping onto the "You're old enough to get a job" ... I'm not. I've tried to get jobs, but I haven't been able to get one. The fact is that my parents have an 8 year old daughter who is constantly hungry too.

Why do my parents never bother doing a massive shop up and get food for everyone... we're a family of 6 god damn it!

Have you talked to your parents about this? If it's really that serious you should contact child service for your sister's sake.
Reply 2

Hello, I am currently in the same state as you are however you have to learn to live with it. Not everybody is as fortunate as others just be thankful for what you do have and do well in your studies, get a degree; get a decent job; give them what they couldn't give you.
Reply 3
How old actually are you though? Do your parents work? Have you suggested going shopping for them if they're busy?
Do you know what your parents financial situation is? They might not be able to afford to have a full fridge especially if they are living paycheck to paycheck.
Original post by Jackoclypse
Have you talked to your parents about this? If it's really that serious you should contact child service for your sister's sake.

All dat Comic Sans tho. :noway:

Seriously, OP, the guy above might be onto something... have you tried suggesting to your parents that you all write a list of the things you need and go shopping together once a week? I can't tell from your OP whether the problem stems from neglect, lack of organisation or financial problems, else I might have a better suggestion!
My mom spends 250 pound on food shopping every week yet it doesn't even carry us for 4 days and my mom is financially finding it hard to manage. (Blame my 2 obese brothers). Food shopping is just ridiculous nowadays. :redface:

Op, I think your parents are financially finding it hard to cope. Maybe take other alternatives such as food banks etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by lilseez
Hello, I am currently in the same state as you are however you have to learn to live with it. Not everybody is as fortunate as others just be thankful for what you do have and do well in your studies, get a degree; get a decent job; give them what they couldn't give you.

So 4 years without any decent food is good enough?

I jolly well bloody know there are people out there with far less than me ... but that doesn't excuse the fact that I'm in a first world country with no food in the fridge.
Reply 8
Original post by missfats
My mom spends 250 pound on food shopping every week yet it doesn't even carry us for 4 days and my mom is financially finding it hard to manage. (Blame my 2 obese brothers). Food shopping is just ridiculous nowadays. :redface:

Op, I think your parents are financially finding it hard to cope. Maybe take other alternatives such as food banks etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

My mum is a clinical director and makes well over 100k/year. My dad is a semi-retired architect and easily makes 80k .... yet my brother and sister STILL don't get enough food.
Reply 9
Original post by Freudian Slip
All dat Comic Sans tho. :noway:

Seriously, OP, the guy above might be onto something... have you tried suggesting to your parents that you all write a list of the things you need and go shopping together once a week? I can't tell from your OP whether the problem stems from neglect, lack of organisation or financial problems, else I might have a better suggestion!

You can bar financial problems out as they make over 200k a year combined.
My mum is a clinical director and makes well over 100k/year. My dad is a semi-retired architect and easily makes 80k .... yet my brother and sister STILL don't get enough food.

Holy crap.

You should tell this about social services then. :hmmm::hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
why? do they simply not bother to go shopping?
OP have you talked to your parents about it?
As according to you they have lots of money on their incomes.
Then why don't you just take some money and buy the stuff yourself? It should be a new experience and should prepare you for later in life when your parents aren't around.
Original post by ldsbabe
How old actually are you though? Do your parents work? Have you suggested going shopping for them if they're busy?

I'm 20 ... I'm about to go to Uni in less that a week.

I've told them that I would be delighted to get the food for them ... but that usually doesn't get anywhere.

Both my parents work and get 200k combined.
Original post by Dilzo999
Then why don't you just take some money and buy the stuff yourself? It should be a new experience and should prepare you for later in life when your parents aren't around.

And where do I get that money from?

I've told them that I would be delighted to get the food for them ... but that usually doesn't get anywhere.

But you don't have a job...?
Have you tried to call them out on it?

Tell them if they don't get their **** together and look after their children you will call social services and make sure someone else does.

Some people just need a slap to realise how **** they are.
Original post by iamu
why? do they simply not bother to go shopping?

I don't know what it is to be honest, but it's been going on for years. I compare the fridges my friends and GF have and they're lucky.

My best friend is one of 8 and his parents get food delivered to their house every fortnight.
Original post by SophieSmall
Tell them if they don't get their **** together and look after their children you will call social services and make sure someone else does.

Some people just need a slap to realise how **** they are.

I know I should do it ... but I'm worried about the outcome. It could be positive in the sense that they do start to acknowledge how important food is to us ... but on the other hand they'd be a lot more cruel to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending