The Student Room Group

Been refused tuition fee loan, need advice

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to go to university this September but recently been refused to get my tuition fee loan from SFE. I have no option but to hold it off until next year as I can't afford to pay 9000 pounds by myself. Therefore, I would like to ask you for advice as to what I should do.

First of all, do any of you have any experience with getting financial support from any institutions other than SFE? Do you happen to know if there are any organizations that deal with providing students with money for the course?
Or perhaps I should take a loan from a bank, do you know anything about it?

Secondly, is it possible to take a gap year before the course even began in a way that I wouldn't have to re-apply next year and get through the whole process from scratch?

Lastly, the main reason why I didn't get the funding is because I studied for 2 years before in another country and that stops me from getting it for the first year, though the funding for all the other years is available for me. Question is - what if re-apply for financial support from SFE without mentioning the fact that I studied previously? They might be able to get access to my previous application and see that, in fact, I did study before. How likely is that?

What would you recommend doing?

Thank you in advance for reading this post and for your responses. Every piece of advice will be appreciated.
Filip.
Original post by floydlip
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to go to university this September but recently been refused to get my tuition fee loan from SFE. I have no option but to hold it off until next year as I can't afford to pay 9000 pounds by myself. Therefore, I would like to ask you for advice as to what I should do.

First of all, do any of you have any experience with getting financial support from any institutions other than SFE? Do you happen to know if there are any organizations that deal with providing students with money for the course?

Secondly, is it possible to take a gap year before the course even began in a way that I wouldn't have to re-apply next year and get through the whole process from scratch?

Lastly, the main reason why I didn't get the funding is because I studied for 2 years before in another country and that stops me from getting it for the first year, though the funding for all the other years is available for me. Question is - what if re-apply for financial support from SFE without mentioning the fact that I studied previously? They might be able to get access to my previous application and see that, in fact, I did study before. How likely is that?

Thank you in advance for reading this post and for your responses. Every piece of advice will be appreciated.
Filip.

You can ask your university to defer your entry for a year, that way your place is safe. However there is no alternative in the UK to SFE for students. Your unlikely to get a bank loan without a job. Some EU students have been able to secure funding from their home country so it might be worth looking into that, or if any family members can pay or lend you the money.
Trying to not tell them your previous history is fraud.
Reply 3
It was only later that I realised, I wasn't thinking straight. I will not do that.
Reply 4
Original post by floydlip
Hello everyone,

Filip.

You could look into a Professional and Career Development Loan available from Barclays and Co-operative I think. Also look into grants and such...
try sites such as The Scholarship Hub
Reply 5
Original post by skaur_1
You could look into a Professional and Career Development Loan available from Barclays and Co-operative I think. Also look into grants and such...
try sites such as The Scholarship Hub

Unfortunately the PCDL is only available for courses which have no other funding source - mainly postgrad or prodessional qualifications. As a degree course is funded by Student Finance, even though the OP doesn't qualify for full SF, they won't be eligible to apply for a PCDL.
Reply 6
Thank you for all your replies. I have come up with a plan to contact my university and defer my course for a year. Meanwhile, I'll focus on working and try to save up some money. However, I have a question regarding applying for student loans next year. Suppose I was successful in keeping my place on my course and can start next year, is there any guarantee that I'll receive the tuition fee loan for all the other years of my course ( 2nd, 3rd, 4th) Will I receive the maximum amount of 9000 pounds? What about other fundings, such as Maintenance Loan and Grant? Are any of them available for me, considering I studied for 2 years before? Technically, I am classified as a EU migrant worker, meaning I can apply for all the fundings just as an UK national can. Will those 2 years of my previous study get in the way of me receiving any of those additional fundings?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending