The Student Room Group

I don't think I'm ready for University

So my first week of Uni is nearly over, and apart from the freshers events, it's been a literally painful week.

Ever since I arrived, I've had no appetite but I'm constantly hungry. When I walk in and smell food cooking, I almost feel like gagging, regardless of how good it smells. I'm having drastic mood swings where one minute I'm laughing and joking with everyone in my flat, then the next I'm silent in the corner for about an hour, and the hardest part of talking is finding the strength to drop my jaw. I'm developing relationships with people where we sit and talk casually whilst occasionally poking fun at each other, then my mood falls and they continue the piss taking while I sit quite and don't give any back. It eventually feels like bullying, but I know they feel it to be purely a joke because they know I can go back and forth with them on it. Every morning I wake up covered in sweat, even though I keep opening my window. When I'm lying in bed at night I can hear my heart beating and feel it in my legs and stomach (A pulse anyway).

Right now as I type this I'm starving, I tried to eat a bowl of cereal but couldn't get past a spoonful. My stomach and intestines are constantly gurgling and twisting like I've never experienced before.

I've noticed I talk about food a lot in here but that's not my main focus, I main focus is, am I really ready for this? With everyday that passes, I honestly don't think I am. I'm a guy who was really close to his family, great home and life. I feel everyday like it has all been ripped away from me. And my life is never going to be the same now.
It sounds like anxiety to me. I get like this when I'm worried/stressed about something.
It's not surprising, going to uni is a big change, you're out of your comfort zone and even if you do drop out your life will change. It's called growing up and going into the real world.

If you drop out, you will still need to get a job etc.

Just keep going, the anxiety will pass.
Reply 2
Original post by CandyKoRn
It sounds like anxiety to me. I get like this when I'm worried/stressed about something.
It's not surprising, going to uni is a big change, you're out of your comfort zone and even if you do drop out your life will change. It's called growing up and going into the real world.

If you drop out, you will still need to get a job etc.

Just keep going, the anxiety will pass.

Is the best method really 'going in the deep end' though?
Social anxiety as above ^^
Home sickness.
Worried for your future?
Not sure of the course?
The feelings of starting University will settle through after adapting to the surroundings.
Reply 4
Original post by inachigeek21
Social anxiety as above ^^
Home sickness.
Worried for your future?
Not sure of the course?
The feelings of starting University will settle through after adapting to the surroundings.

I don't understand though, I thought Social Anxiety was more pinpoint, not so versatile. I've never had problems speaking with people.
Original post by DazzaH94
Is the best method really 'going in the deep end' though?

University is mostly certainly not the deep end. Believe me. :smile:

Your choice are: work in a job you'll more than likely start to hate whilst wishing you had gone to university. Or, staying at university.

If you really don't want to stay at university, as in, it's not for you? then don't.
I'm just assuming you're there because you want to be.
Reply 6
Original post by CandyKoRn
University is mostly certainly not the deep end. Believe me. :smile:

I mean it in a comparitive sense. Staying at home, keeping all my friends and family and getting a job is a massive load different than hiking off to a unversity and losing my comfort zone, friends and family.
So my first week of Uni is nearly over, and apart from the freshers events, it's been a literally painful week.

Ever since I arrived, I've had no appetite but I'm constantly hungry. When I walk in and smell food cooking, I almost feel like gagging, regardless of how good it smells. I'm having drastic mood swings where one minute I'm laughing and joking with everyone in my flat, then the next I'm silent in the corner for about an hour, and the hardest part of talking is finding the strength to drop my jaw. I'm developing relationships with people where we sit and talk casually whilst occasionally poking fun at each other, then my mood falls and they continue the piss taking while I sit quite and don't give any back. It eventually feels like bullying, but I know they feel it to be purely a joke because they know I can go back and forth with them on it. Every morning I wake up covered in sweat, even though I keep opening my window. When I'm lying in bed at night I can hear my heart beating and feel it in my legs and stomach (A pulse anyway).

Right now as I type this I'm starving, I tried to eat a bowl of cereal but couldn't get past a spoonful. My stomach and intestines are constantly gurgling and twisting like I've never experienced before.

I've noticed I talk about food a lot in here but that's not my main focus, I main focus is, am I really ready for this? With everyday that passes, I honestly don't think I am. I'm a guy who was really close to his family, great home and life. I feel everyday like it has all been ripped away from me. And my life is never going to be the same now.

I am in the exact same situation. Went to see the university GP and she advised me to try counselling and to come by for regular check ups to monitor my weight. She also prescribed me propranolol against the physical symptoms of my anxiety attacks. Honestly, I've been feeling much better since I know that someone is 'looking out for me' and that I have a backup plan if I get really anxious again. Have you told your flatmates about your struggle? That can help too because they might offer to keep you company when you're feeling down and be a bit more sensitive around you. Other than that, I can only say try to eat as much as you can when you do feel okay (you'll see that once you start eating again, your appetite will grow with it) and don't feel pressured to go out every night and keep up with everyone else. Your needs come first, so remember to take some time for yourself and find someone to talk to.
Good luck xx
I mean it in a comparitive sense. Staying at home, keeping all my friends and family and getting a job is a massive load different than hiking off to a unversity and losing my comfort zone, friends and family.

Okay, but think of the future. Your parents won't always be there, friends move away/on with their lives.
Things change. You need to learn to adapt to these things, as it will just get harder in the long run.

As the previous poster said, seeing a GP and talking to someone about it may help too.
Just try to keep everything in perspective and in the long term. Your comfort zone won't always be the same..
I'm in the same boat too, the first few days were really bad but it's beginning to get better. I should point out that I have been a long term anxiety sufferer and have been known to cancel a meal out because of anxiety so this is a huge change. However the social side of things is really picking up now, though I still get a bit teary thinking about family but the anxiety is going :smile: I'd say stick with it a bit longer but some people just aren't ready to leave home at 18, I'm still a bit iffy and I'm not sure whether to stick with it or not but I'm giving it a try :smile: I realise this message is a bit late so how are you getting on? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest