The Student Room Group

How important is an A*AA prediction for History?

Hi guys!

I'm applying to do History at University and at AS I got AAAA :h:

However, whilst I'm pretty confident I'd get an AAA prediction, I'm not sure about A*AA...my grades were good (safe As) but not above 90% UMS (except Psychology, the subject I dropped!) so I don't think I'd get predicted an A*.

I feel like I'm capable of achieving an A* in at least one of my subjects next year but my school is pretty tight on predicted grades. I'm trying to get a raised prediction in Spanish by doing extra work but it's not certain I'll get it!

Anyway, my question is, can I still apply to the likes of Bristol and Durham (A*AA) with AAA predictions? Or would I get immediately turned away?

(EDIT: I have now been predicted A*AA)

Thank you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by scavi2008
Hi guys!

However, whilst I'm pretty confident I'd get an AAA prediction, I'm not sure about A*AA...my grades were good (safe As) but not above 90% UMS (except Psychology, the subject I dropped!) so I don't think I'd get predicted an A*.

I feel like I'm capable of achieving an A* in at least one of my subjects next year but my school is pretty tight on predicted grades. I'm trying to get a raised prediction in Spanish by doing extra work but it's not certain I'll get it!

Anyway, my question is, can I still apply to the likes of Bristol and Durham (A*AA) with AAA predictions? Or would I get immediately turned away?

Thank you!

Popped this in UCAS for you :smile:

This is the connect page for History - it'll let you see what grades and offers people got for history at various universities! :h:
Reply 2
When I went to a Durham open day last year, they said they didn't require an A*AA prediction, even for an A*AA course, as they recognise that some schools don't like to predict A* grades. However, it might have changed since then or it may be different for other subjects (I was looking at Education with Sociology and Combined Honours courses)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by RosieEPQ
When I went to a Durham open day last year, they said they didn't require an A*AA prediction, even for an A*AA course, as they recognise that some schools don't like to predict A* grades. However, it might have changed since then or it may be different for other subjects (I was looking at Education with Sociology and Combined Honours courses)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Durham is one of the ones I'm looking to apply at. Luckily for me, my English teachers have moved me up to an A* prediction :h:
Thank you! Durham is one of the ones I'm looking to apply at. Luckily for me, my English teachers have moved me up to an A* prediction :h:

Are you applying for Oxford? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ghostly1010
Are you applying for Oxford? :smile:

Yep, I sure am! :h:

Got to get all of my application sorted for next Tuesday (internal deadline), scary

Got to get all of my application sorted for next Tuesday (internal deadline), scary

Same here (but for Law)

I'm really nervous =p
Hi guys!

Thank you!

Wouldn't an A* in Psychology help your application for History? What are your 3 subjects?
Reply 8
Original post by GandalfWhite
Wouldn't an A* in Psychology help your application for History? What are your 3 subjects?

My three subjects are History, English Lit and Spanish. If I hadn't dropped Psychology, I would've dropped English - a subject I really enjoy! My teachers advised me that English is more relevant/supportive to studying History than Psychology, and whilst I enjoyed AS Psych and got good grades in it, I didn't really like it at a2. Also, it's not a facilitating subject.

On the bright side, my English prediction has just been moved up to an A* so that's that problem solved! :smile:
Whilst History is a competitive subject - and that is why many 'top' Unis ask for stellar grades - that isn't all Universities look for. They also want evidence in your PS of your real interest in History - outside the classroom.

And, there are plenty of Unis not asking for A grades. See http://www.whatuni.com/

Lots of advice about applying for History here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/History_Degree
And, 'How to Avoid 5 Rejections' : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections (the bit about spreading your choices across grade ranges is especially important for a subject like History where you may only get offers on some of your choices despite A grades - and you need a realistic potential Insurance choice with noticebly lower grades.)
Reply 10
Original post by ghostly1010
Same here (but for Law)

I'm really nervous =p

I'm really nervous too! Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by returnmigrant
Whilst History is a competitive subject - and that is why many 'top' Unis ask for stellar grades - that isn't all Universities look for. They also want evidence in your PS of your real interest in History - outside the classroom.

And, there are plenty of Unis not asking for A grades. See http://www.whatuni.com/

Lots of advice about applying for History here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/History_Degree
And, 'How to Avoid 5 Rejections' : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections (the bit about spreading your choices across grade ranges is especially important for a subject like History where you may only get offers on some of your choices despite A grades - and you need a realistic potential Insurance choice with noticebly lower grades.)

Thank you!

Hey :biggrin: I'm actually about to start a History degree at Oxford (Worcester College) so if you have any questions that you would like answered, feel free to contact me. Good luck with your application and your upcoming HAT :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending