The Student Room Group

University Choices

I need help deciding what Universities to apply to. My college is no help in making recommendations and I do not have time to attend open days.

My AS grades were AABB, A's in Maths and Law and B's in Economics and Business. My GCSE's were something like 2 A*s, 7 As and 2 Bs.

My main question is, which universities can I have a chance of applying for and getting an offer? Let's say my target grades are all As and probably an A* in Maths due to my high AS point score.

I preferably want to go to a university in London or one of the surrounding counties. I just need help with what ones I can actually apply to. LSE? Imperial? Surrey? I just don't know and as I said my college is literally no help, I even asked them these exact questions and all they did was ask what course I wanted to do. Which is either Economics or Maths to let you know.

Many thanks. All help is appreciated.

EDIT: For the record, university is not a dead cert for me and I'm applying to keep my options open post college.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Holdaboss
I need help deciding what Universities to apply to. My college is no help in making recommendations and I do not have time to attend open days.

My AS grades were AABB, A's in Maths and Law and B's in Economics and Business. My GCSE's were something like 2 A*s, 7 As and 2 Bs.

My main question is, which universities can I have a chance of applying for and getting an offer? Let's say my target grades are all As and probably an A* in Maths due to my high AS point score.

I preferably want to go to a university in London or one of the surrounding counties. I just need help with what ones I can actually apply to. LSE? Imperial? Surrey? I just don't know and as I said my college is literally no help,I even asked them these exact questions and all they did was ask what course I wanted to do. Which is either Economics or Maths to let you know.

Many thanks. All help is appreciated.

EDIT: For the record, university is not a dead cert for me and I'm applying to keep my options open post college.

Well, that is a key question. Without knowing the answer, any reply from your college might have been misleading or plain wrong.

Have you even looked at the course requirements for these courses at the universities in which you are interested? If so, you should have a reasonable idea where you stand.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Well, that is a key question. Without knowing the answer, any reply from your college might have been misleading or plain wrong.

Have you even looked at the course requirements for these courses at the universities in which you are interested? If so, you should have a reasonable idea where you stand.

As I said, Economics or Maths, maybe even Business.

I just want to go to a RG university in the area I stated with the courses underlined. I know my questions are broad but I want a broad answer. Nobody in my family has been to university before I just feel lost with it all and don't really understand what I'm looking for when researching :redface:
As I said, Economics or Maths, maybe even Business.

I just want to go to a RG university in the area I stated with the courses underlined. I know my questions are broad but I want a broad answer. Nobody in my family has been to university before I just feel lost with it all and don't really understand what I'm looking for when researching :redface:

I know that, but your college didn't at the time; presumably they do now and might be more useful.

Ok, go to the various uni websites and look at the content of the courses in which you are interested. Is it interesting? Could you see yourself studying it for three or four years?

Check the typical entry requirements. Sometimes these are relatively simple e.g. the BSc in Maths at Surrey requires AAA. Some are slightly more complex e.g. Economics at Surrey requires A*AA without Maths but only AAA with it. Occasionally further exams must be taken e.g Maths at Imperial not only requires A* in Maths, A* in Further Maths and an A in another subject, but candidates must also do well in the MAT (Mathematics Admissions Test).

Also look at the environment. London unis are obviously city based, but Surrey or Reading would feel quite different. Try to attend open days. Where would you feel more comfortable?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
I know that, but your college didn't at the time; presumably they do now and might be more useful.

Ok, go to the various uni websites and look at the content of the courses in which you are interested. Is it interesting? Could you see yourself studying it for three or four years?

Check the typical entry requirements. Sometimes these are relatively simple e.g. the BSc in Maths at Surrey requires AAA. Some are slightly more complex e.g. Economics at Surrey requires A*AA without Maths but only AAA with it. Occasionally further exams must be taken e.g Maths at Imperial not only requires A* in Maths, A* in Further Maths and an A in another subject, but candidates must also do well in the MAT (Mathematics Admissions Test).

Also look at the environment. London unis are obviously city based, but Surrey or Reading would feel quite different. Try to attend open days. Where would you feel more comfortable?

Okay thanks. So for example could I apply for somewhere with A*AA entry or AAA entry with AABB AS grades and still get a conditional offer?

I live in Essex so I'm not too fussed about the environment but I don't want to travel too far from home, unless it gives me a better opportunity.
Okay thanks. So for example could I apply for somewhere with A*AA entry or AAA entry with AABB AS grades and still get a conditional offer?

I live in Essex so I'm not too fussed about the environment but I don't want to travel too far from home, unless it gives me a better opportunity.

You might well get offers from A*AA/AAA courses if they match your predictions. On the other hand you might not so it would be wise to have a spread of grade requirements among your chosen five. Remember that you would still have to achieve the offer, not just receive it - many people do not.

Look widely at first, you can always narrow down your search later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending