The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Lots of people have, although I wouldn't do so personally, mainly for security reasons. I don't think you'd have to wait for more than 24h for the initial response.... usually, that is.
Reply 2
Not sure what you mean about security reasons Knogle...it's much more secure than posting your PS publically or emailling/PMing it to unvetted people...specially when you consider we've had at least 3 people pretend to be current students at oxbridge only to be outed once the mods investigated their IPs...whereas all the helpers have had their university place verified, in most cases through IPs and emails.
Sure. But you really don't know *who* is reading your PS, and what they're gonna do with it. Pass them on to friends applying in the upcoming admissions cycle? Perhaps. Leak it to other PS databases for some malicious reason? Possible. My point is that you simply don't have control about who views your PS and what he/she does with it. Anyone can view your PS, as long as he/she has expressed an interest to do so, and can prove that he/she is at university.

Personally I've only sent my PS to 4-5 people via email - yes, people I've met on TSR and now trust after prolonged interaction of sorts. It's not a perfect system, but I definitely feel much more secure that way. I have control over who sees my PS, and can hold individuals accountable should anything go awry. Not like I expect anything bad to happen, considering these individuals are ones whom I highly respect and have full confidence in.

It's down to the individual and how much you really value your PS, IMO.
Reply 3
Well i put mine on and got a response by the next day
my helper didnt change all taht much (which fingers crossed means its ok) but it is nice to have another person read it who doesnt know you at all like an admissions tutor wont and see what they think
Ok, thanx for the replies. Mine has only been up for 18 hours so far. Hopefully i'll hear something soon.
We're all trying to get through them as quickly as possible, you just have to bear with us :smile:
Reply 6
How do you become a PS helper? I helped lots of people out last year at school and would like to do so again, and I'm bored!
Reply 7
PQ

Depending on which subject you're submitting for it might take a maximum of 3 days to get a full response.

I posted mine on 15th September, it is now the 19th September and I have not had a response :frown:.
Reply 8
PQ
if you keep posting on your own thread then you bump your thread down the list.

Most helpers work from the oldest stickied thread upwards to making your thread appear younger won't increase response rates.

Also because it's the time when a lot of people are returning to universities coverage for some subjects is patchy at the moment - I think our resident comp sci helpers are between internet connections.

(oooh you're at KGV - my mates went there (the ones who didn't stay on at sixth form or go to huge turd):biggrin:)

Fair enough. Since I posted about it in here though, I have got a response and it has helped quite a lot. So I appreciate that.

Yep I go to KGV, it is a great college, I love it there. I went to Maghull High in Liverpool but the 6th form was **** so I went to KGV. My high school took our year to Hugh Baird for a taster day, and it was terrible :P.
Reply 9
I posted mine in the forum and they were GREAT- really, really helpful! It took maybe 3-4 days for initial response but it was all constructive and made a crap statement into a good one.
Reply 10
I posted mine on the the sub-forum and got an answer within 6 hours which may I say was extremely impressive!
It does depend on what subject your applying for- there seem to be more of us for some subjects (English, business, economics etc) than others like maths or science. Now that the Forum has been divided up things statements may be seen to a bit quicker.
I posted mine in the forum and they were GREAT- really, really helpful! It took maybe 3-4 days for initial response but it was all constructive and made a crap statement into a good one.

I second that! Probably the best thing about TSR!!
I posted my 1st draft then got a response the day after. Then I posted my 2nd draft and got a response on the very same day, but when I posted my 3rd draft - it took 3-4 days for someone to proof-read it. The PS Helpers are really good, so its well worth waiting. :wink:
Reply 14
I don't see whya nyone would go to the hassle of becoming a PS helper to steal someone's statement, when there's hundreds of sample statements available if you look for them.
Reply 15
Juno
I don't see whya nyone would go to the hassle of becoming a PS helper to steal someone's statement, when there's hundreds of sample statements available if you look for them.

It's a case of the male ego perhaps. You know, if you've put so much work into a certain product, you don't want to risk it one bit. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending