The Student Room Group

unemployed for a year and 6 months now after graduating

sorry for posting this in the wrong section but i cant find the unemployment post area on the website...anway onto my point... im 22 now and as the title says ive been unemployed for some time,, The "look harder" spiel pisses me off so bad as there is nothing going in terms of jobs around here. having the label of "unemployed" is getting to me as people seem to treat it as a contagious disease when around you.
when i tell someone that i have never had a job (due to lazyness and being at uni) their faces contort and they start to dry heave as if what i have just told them is the most outrageously disgusting piece of information one could ever receive.
anyone else suffering from unemployment and being treated like scum for it?
so many people i know that have jobs are the most pompous and self righteous people i have ever met when it comes to the subject of jobs and employment, as if the sun shines out of their *** because they have a routine and can make coffee for their boss, they seem to naturally patronize you.. how are others in my situation coping with this?
Original post by uxb
sorry for posting this in the wrong section but i cant find the unemployment post area on the website...anway onto my point... im 22 now and as the title says ive been unemployed for some time,, The "look harder" spiel pisses me off so bad as there is nothing going in terms of jobs around here. having the label of "unemployed" is getting to me as people seem to treat it as a contagious disease when around you.
when i tell someone that i have never had a job (due to lazyness and being at uni) their faces contort and they start to dry heave as if what i have just told them is the most outrageously disgusting piece of information one could ever receive.
so many people i know that have jobs are the most pompous and self righteous people i have ever met when it comes to the subject of jobs and employment, as if the sun shines out of their *** because they have a routine and can make coffee for their boss, they seem to naturally patronize you.. how are others in my situation coping with this?

Badly. I have been unemployed in the past for up to 6 months and it drove me nuts. The jobcenter are absolutely no help what so ever and I hope they all die of diarrhea. Very apt way to go given how **** they are.
Get your CV reviewed by someone who knows about them (not the ****in jobcentre or anything related to it) and print them off and hand them out to various employers. I did this but with emails, including a covering letter explaining why I would be good at the job I am applying for and how I dont mind any shifts. All that bollox. Still didnt get anywhere as actually finding a job is just luck, but only if you have a tidy CV.
I found my current job by phoning up the agency and speaking to them directly. Its only a crap job but it beats being in jail for murdering jobcenter staff.
Honestly, after a year and a half you need to keep your CV current. That means that you need to find a job (any job) or you need to do some sort of training or volunteer work. Just do something that you can put on your CV that you have done consistently in the past couple months. I'm sorry I know you've probably heard it, and I know I hated hearing advice from people when I was on my job hunt, but it has to be said.

Also, yeah Jobcentre are the worst.
I'm sorry but I really find it hard to believe someone could spend 18 months out of employment and not manage to find ANYTHING (especially with a degree! over qualification is a problem in some jobs but many will be so impressed by the degree they'll take you regardless of experience) unless they are doing something seriously wrong and to be honest your attitude doesn't sound fantastic and you sound very resentful and negative which will not help you find employment... you also sound like you haven't been doing anything for the last 18 months or people probably wouldn't be looking down on you or being patronising as even if you were volunteering you would be seen as having purpose and so on and that is only going to make you steadily less employable
Reply 4
What sort of jobs are you applying fror? What was your degree in and what did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
uxb
OP
Original post by 2710
What sort of jobs are you applying fror? What was your degree in and what did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry for the late reply i never came back on till now, my job situation is so bad right now, i got a 2:2 in international relations and i want a job in government, councils even business work, graduate jobs are too late to apply for now though, what advice can you give me man?

thanks
Original post by uxb
sorry for the late reply i never came back on till now, my job situation is so bad right now, i got a 2:2 in international relations and i want a job in government, councils even business work, graduate jobs are too late to apply for now though, what advice can you give me man?

thanks

I doubt that many graduate jobs will take you as you have a 2:2.

Look, if you need a job, just get a job, ANY JOB. Stop limiting yourself to the government or anything like that. Right now, you need a source of income and you need your CV not to be blank for the last 18 months, otherwise your level of employability will go down the pan.

How many jobs are you applying for daily, which are jobs that you can actually get (i.e not graduate jobs) ?

Do you have any relatives who are working who may put in a good word for you to start working at that company?

By saying that you have never had a job - that may be your biggest issue here, please just double confirm for me that at the age of 22, you have never worked a day in your life??? Because tbh, if that's the case, you need to be applying everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Don't look for a career, just look for a job ,because by the sounds of things, experience will help you a hell of a lot more than you degree will.
Reply 7
Original post by uxb

Hi when people irritate you and give you that look about not having a job don't worry that is their problem and not yours. Im 24 and unemployed after my PGCE. Keep applying for jobs hopefully you'll land something. I'd even go for education agencies or tutor work.
Reply 8
Yeah apply for something, anything... I'm almost 25 years old and yeah I only got a few crappy jobs that didn't last long but I did SOMETHING, plus an internship here and there. Also unemployed at the moment so I'm getting a good technical degree. I also started my own business in the meantime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending