The Student Room Group

problems with flatmates

I’m loving university life apart from the occasional bout of loneliness. My accommodation, my mates, my course, is all fine but the major problem: I hate my flatmates.

It's an all girls flat firstly, so I knew there would be some bitchyness but this has gotten to the point where I can't even go into the kitchen without stressing. Basically, three of the flatmates (the bitchy ones) are ALWAYS in the kitchen together and I feel so uncomfortable going into the kitchen and seeing them, I end up going to sleep hungry because I’d rather that than seeing them. Even when I hear them walk past my room, I start stressing.

Anyway, I've tried to be civil and to just not talk to them and even tried to get along with them but that's not going to happen, they’re horrible people and I honestly cannot stand them. I know that we will never get on and I’ve accepted that but the second option of moving out is also not going to happen. It's impossible to switch rooms within my accommodation and I’ve already paid for most of the years rent so I can't move into another accommodation. The rest of the flatmates are foreign so they don't really talk to anyone in the flat so they haven't had any problems with the bitchy flatmates.

All my friends live in accommodation closer to campus so I end up walking a mile to see them (my accommodation is far away from the campus) and stay there to eat and even sleep at their places just so I can avoid my flat mates. Even on nights out I end up taxiing all the way to their flats instead of my own. I know I can’t do this forever because a lot of the time I need to be at my flat (to do work, laundry, sleep, etc.) so I honestly have no idea what to do.

Anyway any advice you could give me would be AMAZING, thanks. x
If you can't swap rooms or get out of your accommodation early, you don't have much option but to put up with your flatmates. Hopefully as term goes on, the workload will increase, and they won't have as much time to bitch about others in the kitchen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending