The Student Room Group

He doesnt want a relationship

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LolaLowe
Gosh! Seriously?

I wouldnt say he led her on, they got friendly, kissed a bit and he said he wasnt looking for a relationship. Thats totally fair and reasonable of him isnt it?

Surely you cant think that any declaration about whether or not he/she is looking for something long term has to happen any earlier in the friendship than this?

Like someone buys you a coffee and you tell them you are not looking for romance!? OMG. Or someone holds the door open for you and you tell them you are not thinking of marriage!?

Seems to me OP that he told you he wasnt looking for a relationship just about as soon as he reasonably could, that is as soon as it looked as though it could potentially be headed that way. He sounds decent. Have fun, dont do anything you dont want to do, and try not to become emotionally attached because he has been very honest about what he is not looking for.

Good luck! :smile:

Ya srsly. :fluffy:

I must be the only person who wouldn't want to kiss someone unless it went further, then. :nothing: Probably because I get too emotionally attached.
Original post by Maid Marian
Ya srsly. :fluffy:

I must be the only person who wouldn't want to kiss someone unless it went further, then. :nothing: Probably because I get too emotionally attached.

Wow. Ok then.

So if your with someone and they lean in to kiss you do you ask about their long term intentions?
Original post by LolaLowe
Wow. Ok then.

So if your with someone and they lean in to kiss you do you ask about their long term intentions?

Lolno. :indiff:
Reply 23
Original post by Foo.mp3
Actions speak louder than words, so if you observe him being attentive/watchful, funny about you being around other guys, sweet/thoughtful, caring, wanting to see you more frequently, doing other couply things with you.. then you have a sense that things might be headed in a healthy direction

That said, one of the reasons girls find me such a mind ****, as I was explaining to a lass the other day, is because I am very affectionate in my behaviour e.g. tactile/physical/paternalistic, yet not so much at my core/emotionally :rolleyes:

When we are together he will always make a lot of effort in conversations and come up with random stuff to say to me, even when we are not alone. He is quite flirty, and uses eye contact. When we were alone at mine, he would always put his arm around me and touch me say and when he left, he kissed me goodbye and then texted me fourth five minutes later (cause he knew I was going out) with something that he didn't really need to say. When we talk he will always find a way of keeping the conversation running too, it only really ends when one of us goes to sleep.
Reply 24
Original post by Foo.mp3
Actions speak louder than words, so if you observe him being attentive/watchful, funny about you being around other guys, sweet/thoughtful, caring, wanting to see you more frequently, doing other couply things with you.. then you have a sense that things might be headed in a healthy direction

That said, one of the reasons girls find me such a mind ****, as I was explaining to a lass the other day, is because I am very affectionate in my behaviour e.g. tactile/physical/paternalistic, yet not so much at my core/emotionally :rolleyes:

I don't know if this means a thing, but one morning he had overheard something about me and a friend. He'd heard that we were in a bed together (nothing happened). But straight after school he text me asking if I was getting on someone
Original post by Maid Marian
Lolno. :indiff:

Oh good! Cos I think that would seriously hinder your life experience!!
:smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Foo.mp3
Signs are good; keep an eye out, and do keep him on his toes :wink:

Thank you! Your literally my life saver! So good at advice. In what way keep him on his toes? As in make him chase me?
He likes you, but wants no commitment and/or to still get with other people and/or to have a sexual relationship.

If you might want something similar, it's fine to continue seeing him, but from experience my advice would be that only works if you don't like him that much. Once you start to like him a bit, it all ends in tears.
Reply 28
Original post by Foo.mp3
Come now, you seem to have your head screwed on anyway, and to be fairly astute, I'm sure you'd do just fine without my guidance :smile:

P.S. It's you're* :tongue:

That's one way, yes, but be sophisticated about it, and never manipulate (more than a touch). So don't take any bull****, any messing around, any equivocation e.g. treating you as a casual ting one minute then attempting to lord it over you the next. Ensure consistency, respect and respectability, and reasonable, agreed standards of communication and behaviour

Make sure he knows he's lucky to be dating you, every single time you have contact (without being OTT about it), and make super sure you don't start to build your life/happiness around him unless/until you both move into wanting a relationship together. Also don't shy away from dealing with that stuff if/when you decide you want/need one (be it with him, or someone else)

Problem! Last night at a party resulted in a very drunk me, a lad came onto me and we end up sort of having sex, it didn't go all the way in and only last around 30 seconds maybe less and he didn't come. I feel really bad for the lad that I have been texting, although he has told me that he doesn't want a relationship, but I do not know what his intentions are. I am unsure as to wether I should tell him, as I think it is the right thing to do and I think that he will find out from other people at the party. However, I asked for a friends opinion, and he said that if it isn't serious between me and the lad, then I don't need to tell him. What do you think I should do and how should I approach this?
Jeez you're still kids. I know it's"fun" to act all grown up and make things overcomplicated and a drama but damn just chill you're still kids.
Reply 30
Original post by Foo.mp3
Sorry but this made me chuckle :mmm:

Well that's both a bit retarded (objectively speaking) and kinda natural (subjectively speaking) if you're keen on each other

It's not the right thing to do (as in the wrong thing to do to keep your personal business to yourself) unless he's going to find out anyway, in which case I'd just casually mention that you almost hooked up with someone but it was a bit of a fail, turn it into a joke. Do check that he's ok with it and perhaps make him aware that you felt a twinge of guilt as you like him.. (without blowing your cool)

Also, maybe next time bed a boy whom knows what he's doing :borat:

This has made me realised that I do like that lad now and don't want to upset him. I am now worried about how he sees us cause I don't know.
Reply 31
Original post by Foo.mp3
Would you be upset if he dicked another girl? :holmes:

What has worrying about crap that's out of our control ever achieved? :beard:

In a way I think I would be upset if he had sex with another girl cause I know that I like him and in a way I wouldn't want to know if it was this casual thing. But I don't know what this is
Reply 32
Original post by Foo.mp3
If that's the case then you should not be getting into a casual thing, it will only end in upset if he is subject to other opportunities and is treating it as casual

You know what it is not, and that's a relationship (until the guy changes his attitude and bothers to ask you out)

I have just told him about two three way kisses that I took part in and he's really mad that one included his friend.
Reply 33
Original post by Foo.mp3
You: "Oops! Perhaps we need to talk about stuff"

He needs to understand that if he wants exclusivity/loyalty then it's a high quality/meaningful/dependable relationship or no deal

He's now referred to us as "seeing each other" , yet he never said this to me. If this was the case then I would never have done what I did. He is really mad. Is there any way to make this right?
Reply 34
Original post by Foo.mp3
You: "Well, that's news to me buddy!". This is a good chance for you to be a bit of a tinker and make him realise he needs to grow up/shape up :mmm:

You: "Had I known that's how you felt then I would never have one what I did :rolleyes:"

Tell him the above and be completely unphased. It's his own fault. If he wants to sulk about it like a bitch that's his problem. You're a mature young lady and expect a man to be a man. Tell him you regret any upset caused (but do not apologise as it's not your fault) and that it won't happen again if you are to see each other properly

I haven't gone into too much detail with him. I told him that I shouldn't have acted that way and acted like I was single and he said I am single it was just how I went about it and who with.
He sounds like a jealous head ****, either tell him it's all or nothing no inbetween as one will get hurt.
Reply 36
Original post by Foo.mp3
Nor do you need to. You are not in a relationship until he asks you out and you accept. It's your private business

You're losing, pandering to this guy. The guy needs to get it straight: either you're together and it's his business or you're not and you're free to do whatever the hell you like. He needs to grow up. Can't have his cake and eat it :rolleyes:

I know, I too feel like I am getting mixed signals. I understand he was upset that I had a three way kiss with his friend and another girl, in a way I would be too a bit. Tbh I didn't know that they were really friends. Then less than two hours later he text me to ask if Thursday was still happening (we had arranged for him to come round again).
Reply 37
Original post by Foo.mp3
So he's no basis upon which to be guilt tripping you

I think you just need to get everything out on the table with this lad, and when you do, be resolute as ****. That's attractive, and healthy

Last night everything was going smooth, flirting and normal like old times, but then when I didn't reply for half an hour (I fell asleep), he said "do you promise me that you didn't do anything thing more than get off with people at the party". I'm said I'm pretty sure, I was very drunk and cannot remember much, I don't think I did do anything,however I have not spoken to the lad that I was kissing. At first he didn't even know my name and I think he was quite drunk too.
Original post by fashion1
Last night everything was going smooth, flirting and normal like old times, but then when I didn't reply for half an hour (I fell asleep), he said "do you promise me that you didn't do anything thing more than get off with people at the party". I'm said I'm pretty sure, I was very drunk and cannot remember much, I don't think I did do anything,however I have not spoken to the lad that I was kissing. At first he didn't even know my name and I think he was quite drunk too.

He has no right to ask that of you, and rather than telling him, you should have said, "actually my love life isnt any of your business ".

There is a phrase, " a gentleman keeps his private life private " and I think that is an approach that you need to start adopting with your friend until he works out what he wants.

I second what others have said above too. If you don't know what he wants then ask him, "what exactly is it that you want"?
I've had this before tbh I think he only wants a casual relationship

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending