The Student Room Group

Teenagers who don't drink :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Paras Agarwal
i guess people have different views.. im talking from what i have seen :smile:

My father is an alcoholic and I can still see the massive difference between smoking and alcohol consumption. I completely respect you not wanting to drink but it bothers me when those who don't drink say things like it's going to become a habit like we are all alcoholics waiting to happen which is very clearly not the case.
(edited 9 years ago)
Meee, I don't drink - I don't mind hanging out with people when they are but I choose not to. Partly because most alcohol is not vegetarian and also it's one thing I would rather not start :P
I'm hopefully going to uni next year, is it going to make me the odd one out? D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not a keen one for alcohol either, and having recently seen someone throwing up after getting absolutely hammered, I have no desire to reach that state! I'm fine with people drinking though, as long as they don't judge me for my choice, I won't judge them for theirs :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
People are generally not nice towards those who are different to them. :dontknow:
did people actually expect alcohol to taste good?
you either drink it for the acquired taste or for the wave (or both of course).

i cant join your club because drinking is lots of fun, and so is getting high etc

once in a while people will tag along with us and not drink and it's s'all good.

s'all luv
I respect anyone who doesnt drink. Nice to see some people not following the crowd. Imo if you are uncomfortable with something e.g. I have seen many and heard many people that go clubbing and drink but you can tell by their face expression that they look forced to come their via peer pressure and because they get an idea if you dont drink and come to the clubs your not sociable and they are afraid that they will make no friends because some people judge you this is not true I know many people who dont drink and do not go to cluba yet they have plenty of friends. My advice to anyone is be yourself because if you try and pretend that you like something when really you dont people will catch on and probably judge you as being fake. Be yourself always work you get so much more respect. Also I dont think I can never drink the things that i've heard happen when people get drunk e.g. brawls with others, sexual violence, drink driving hits in fact a few weeks ago someone in our area died due to recklessness of a drunk driver I think to myself imagine if I was drunk and did something like that I could never forgive myself.
Original post by AnnieFraz
Hey I'm one of those rarities - a teenager who doesn't drink. I just don't like the taste of alcohol. Why do people generally consider it to be weird. Anyone the same? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Alcohol" is very general. What types of drinks have you actually tried? There are lots of different types of alcoholic drinks which all taste different.

I don't drink a lot, I have a mini fridge in my room (I'm in halls) that I keep stocked up. I'll drink a lot one night (pre drinks, socials, etc.), then I'll get some more and fill it up again pretty much as soon as I'm safe to drive to the shop the next day. But that'll then remain untouched for a few weeks until there's another major event/social/whatever. And the cycle continues.
I don't drink because my mum's an alcoholic and her behaviour has put me off alcohol entirely. Alcohol has tainted my childhood and damaged our relationship forever. I also hate the taste aha!
Reply 28
Me :-) well I'm 22 and at risk of alcoholism so slightly different story trololol
Reply 29
Original post by RFowler
"Alcohol" is very general. What types of drinks have you actually tried? There are lots of different types of alcoholic drinks which all taste different.

I don't drink a lot, I have a mini fridge in my room (I'm in halls) that I keep stocked up. I'll drink a lot one night (pre drinks, socials, etc.), then I'll get some more and fill it up again pretty much as soon as I'm safe to drive to the shop the next day. But that'll then remain untouched for a few weeks until there's another major event/social/whatever. And the cycle continues.

Well generally I don't enjoy fizzy drinks as I can't stand the bubbles. Any wine I've had has just been disgusting. Vodka and other spirits tend to taste like nail polish remover. Anyway my own opinions. If you can think of anything I am willing to try it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Alcohol stimulates the pleasure receptors in the brain. It's not biologically possible to 'not like drinking'. That's why people consider it weird.
Original post by SophieSmall
Not for everyone, and it's nowhere near as addictive as smoking.

to be fair..its easy to get into the habit.its not like smoking where you have to smoke a pack a day t have effects...
I've seen people do such weird, uncharacteristic, stupid, awful things while under the influence - it seems like every day there's another horror story. I'm never drinking. I'm fine with my psyche and my experience of the world as it is.
Original post by Paras Agarwal
drinking becomes a habit..trust me its just like smoking..becomes difficult to slow down or even stop later on..

cut the bs mate and stop generalising. If you don't drink then good for you but don't make it sound like those who do are alcoholics waiting to happen. :rolleyes:

OP I do drink but not a lot because of health reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trustmeimlying1
to be fair..its easy to get into the habit.its not like smoking where you have to smoke a pack a day t have effects...

Though then you can call anything a habit, but him comparing it to smoking was him actually calling it an addiction not a habit.
Original post by beingawallflower
Meee, I don't drink - I don't mind hanging out with people when they are but I choose not to. Partly because most alcohol is not vegetarian and also it's one thing I would rather not start :P
I'm hopefully going to uni next year, is it going to make me the odd one out? D:

Posted from TSR Mobile

To tell you the truth, to some extent it can be a little alienating as so much of Freshers revolves around getting hammered, and for many people it's their first taste of freedom, especially if they're 17 going on 18. However it does die down and you will meet plenty of others in the same boat or who don't care at all - it gets better :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophieSmall
Though then you can call anything a habit, but him comparing it to smoking was him actually calling it an addiction not a habit.
different cultures have different means of that word.no clue what yeh mean:O
I don't drink and nobody really hounds for me it. Besides, alcohol just makes me feel very tired.

I'm both an introvert and extrovert, but I usually find that alcohol helps people come out of their shells and that allows me to join in without having to drink myself.

The only problem I have is that you cannot communicate with drunk people when you're sober. I went to a party last week and the majority of people were drunk by the time it had finished. Some guy cut themselves badly on some glass, so I figured I'd call his parents and get an ambulance. I tried to get some people to help, but they were drunk/tipsy and they pretty much made themselves very useless, they kept disturbing me and I had to handle the situation on my own.

Even though I don't drink, I somehow do feel responsible for people that end up vomiting or hurt. Bit unfair, right?
Original post by Butterfly9595
To tell you the truth, to some extent it can be a little alienating as so much of Freshers revolves around getting hammered, and for many people it's their first taste of freedom, especially if they're 17 going on 18. However it does die down and you will meet plenty of others in the same boat or who don't care at all - it gets better :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I hope so D: a lot of my friends dot drink now so hopefully there will be people like me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by futbol
Alcohol stimulates the pleasure receptors in the brain. It's not biologically possible to 'not like drinking'. That's why people consider it weird.

What if you have an allergy to alcohol or you dislike the taste so much that you gag at every sip?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending