The Student Room Group

Would You Date A Drug User?

Scroll to see replies

Probably not a regular drug user"/someone with addiction problems, but wouldn't mind someone who occasionally (once a month type thing) does mdma/weed/acid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vekril
A lot of people are misinformed on drug use, it's quite sad.
Personally I'd prefer to date a drug user, rolling on MDMA with people you love is one of the nicest experiences and really not harmful if you do your research and know how to dose responsibly.

Out of interest, do you do drugs?
if you're into panadol we can talk babe
It doesn't really bother me... as long as they're not into hard drugs. Cannabis is no worse if not better than alcohol and tobacco. So apart from the fact cannabis is illegal there's no logical reason why I should shun that and endorse a girl who drank alcohol.
Reply 24
Original post by BreakingBadx
Out of interest, do you do drugs?

Yeah occasionally weed just to chill out and relax after a long day. MDMA every 2-3 months. :smile: I've tried cocaine and didn't really like it, so won't be doing more. Not too keen on alcohol either.
I'd date someone who did weed or took other drugs occasionally on nights out/festivals. Not someone who did drugs all the time
If someone doesn't want to date a drug user they won't, I doubt when you tell them exactly plays into that. If you want to clarify that you're not "wasted all the time" you can do that just as well early on.

Holding off telling someone about it for a while on purpose, when you know it might be an issue for a lot of people, is downright manipulative. Not that it'd work very well.

Reality isn't that black and white. Of the people who've said no, would they really dump someone they had strong feelings for because they found out they like to smoke weed once a year? Very unlikely. You should tell people things at the appropriate time, in good context. I would want a girl to get to know me and how I live my life before telling her about any drugs I take, because I wouldn't want her to be influenced by the overwhelmingly negative views society has on drug users. People are willing to be flexible on their existing ideas of who they would date, I know loads of girls who date guys who do things they generally disapprove of.

Well as I say, I've been with her a few years now, so it's gone quite well from my perspective!
Original post by Anonymous
Reality isn't that black and white. Of the people who've said no, would they really dump someone they had strong feelings for because they found out they like to smoke weed once a year? Very unlikely. You should tell people things at the appropriate time, in good context. I would want a girl to get to know me and how I live my life before telling her about any drugs I take, because I wouldn't want her to be influenced by the overwhelmingly negative views society has on drug users. People are willing to be flexible on their existing ideas of who they would date, I know loads of girls who date guys who do things they generally disapprove of.

Well as I say, I've been with her a few years now, so it's gone quite well from my perspective!

It's up to her what she's influenced by. Really, really not your place to decide that, TBH. You sound extremely manipulative.

As for your girlfriend, she would probably have been with you regardless of if you had told her sooner, going by your previous post. I'm not necessarily suggesting telling someone as soon as you meet them, just being honest, rather than trying to "game" it by luring someone in without telling them, getting them to like you and then dropping it on them all of a sudden. Which is what you sound like you're suggesting. If you think someone might have a misconception about what your drug use means, you can still be upfront and honest with them early on and say "I'm not necessarily out of my mind six days a week, it's just occasional weed" or explain whatever you do exactly. It's their decision to make after that. If they are willing to be flexible they will be flexible regardless. Unless you are trying to manipulate them.

It's like an obese person chatting to someone for ages on a dating site (though their pics don't show they're fat), leading them on, but deliberately leaving off telling the person till they meet in person, knowing full well that a lot of people wouldn't want to date a fat person but hoping that this will improve their chances. Whether you think society's views on fat people are right or wrong, it's not your place to try to manipulate them out of holding those views.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
I don't think he's being manipulative at all. He wasn't doing any harm by not telling her immediately. If you were anti-drugs and you knew someone who was a drug user, that would completely taint your vision of them before getting to know them. All he's done is waited until they've established a mutual trust and that's fair.
Original post by vekril
I don't think he's being manipulative at all. He wasn't doing any harm by not telling her immediately. If you were anti-drugs and you knew someone who was a drug user, that would completely taint your vision of them before getting to know them. All he's done is waited until they've established a mutual trust and that's fair.

But knowing that someone does or doesn't do drugs is part of "getting to know them." Withholding that when you know full well that it might be an issue for some people is manipulative. Again, it's not the place of a drug user to decide whether someone is "overreacting" or "influenced by society" or whatever. "Manipulation refers to making attempts at indirectly influencing someone else's behavior or actions".

If you think someone might hold misconceptions about what your drug use means, you can tell them that it doesn't mean you're stoned off your mind all the time or whatever. You don't have to just say "I do drugs" and then leave them to draw conclusions, ofc. :smile:

To sum it up: If you explain to them clearly what you do and then they decide not to be with you - that's not "having their vision tainted," that's making a personal decision that they have every right to make.

See my analogy again:

It's like an obese person chatting to someone for ages on a dating site (though their pics don't show they're fat), leading them on, but deliberately leaving off telling the person till they meet in person, knowing full well that a lot of people wouldn't want to date a fat person but hoping that this will improve their chances. Whether you think society's views on fat people are right or wrong, it's not your place to try to manipulate them out of holding those views.

I wasn't suggesting telling someone as soon as you meet them, but he said that someone wouldn't turn down someone "they had strong feelings for" if they suddenly found out they did drugs, suggesting that he's implying leading someone on for a while and then telling them rather than being honest relatively early on.
I'm a man and while it's not a red line, i would prefer the girl did not engage in drugs.
Reply 31
I would NEVER go out with someone who takes drugs.

I don't care if people judge me because of it.
It's up to her what she's influenced by. Really, really not your place to decide that, TBH. You sound extremely manipulative.

As for your girlfriend, she would probably have been with you regardless of if you had told her sooner, going by your previous post. I'm not necessarily suggesting telling someone as soon as you meet them, just being honest, rather than trying to "game" it by luring someone in without telling them, getting them to like you and then dropping it on them all of a sudden. Which is what you sound like you're suggesting. If you think someone might have a misconception about what your drug use means, you can still be upfront and honest with them early on and say "I'm not necessarily out of my mind six days a week, it's just occasional weed" or explain whatever you do exactly. It's their decision to make after that. If they are willing to be flexible they will be flexible regardless. Unless you are trying to manipulate them.

I think it's absolutely normal behaviour to want to give a good impression of yourself, to emphasise positive qualities and downplay negative ones. It's a bit odd you describe me as "extremely manipulative" when I'm talking about something I didn't do.

Ha, you make it sound like an evil plot or something. Honestly, whether someone casually does drugs isn't actually that important. It's actually just normal social convention that you don't tell people you do drugs soon after meeting them, it can make people uncomfortable. I also don't know when I advocated "dropping them in it all of a sudden"- if you re-read that is exactly what I'm suggesting people don't do. You inform them at the appropriate time when you feel the context is right. Dropping them in it suddenly is likely to cause a more extreme reaction, exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

No it isn't, useing fake pictures is actively lying. It's more like if you like to dress up as Batman at weekends, maybe don't lead with that. Let her realise you aren't a loser/weirdo/nerd whatever, then introduce her to you hobby.
Reply 33
Yep.
Although people who fiend over things (literally, anything) super hard are a pet peeve.
I couldn't see myself putting up with anyone who "craved" them or did them regularly, though.

I feel a lot of the perceived danger comes from poor understanding of limits and a lack of knowledge.
Depends what drug/s and how often tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends what kind of drug. I've got no patience for the empty, destructive buzz drugs like crack, heroin, meth, prescription pills etc. but if it's someone whose eyes have been opened to the beauty of psychedelics, I'd see that as a massive positive.
I would never date someone who took drugs or smoked. I don't even drink alcohol (although I wouldn't mind a partner doing that as long as it didn't affect our relationship).
Only if they share their stash. :smile:
Caffeine is a drug so I guess everyone would

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yeah dude
I agree but calling them ugly is kinda ugly dude

He's a young kid who made a thread about how he's been referred for counselling at school for smoking and other things, I don't think anyone on this thread is taking his comments too seriously TBH.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending