The Student Room Group

Dating and being gay

I don't know whether this is appropriate to post, or whether it will resonate with many people, but it's worth talking about.

As you may have guessed from the title, I'm gay. This is fine, though I do still struggle with the reactions or perceived reactions of others. Adding to this, is the feeling that, because I'm a wheelchair user, people see me differently. I have a feeling people assume that dating me, or even approaching me in a romantic sense, would be more 'complex' than it's worth. Yes, things need to be considered and planned more than they perhaps would with an able-bodied person but surely people would be willing to at least try to make an effort? I'm all for communication. Even if that means someone saying 'this is complicated, can we talk?' Even if they no longer want to talk or date.

I am in my early twenties, and had no romantic experience as such apart from talking to a few people on dating apps for a few weeks at best.

Now, I wouldn't say that I actively seeking a relationship as such it is more the companionship, trust, and comfort that I look for. Meeting people, and seeing where things go. That said, I make an effort from the get-go; building that commitment and connection. I feel like I'm always the one making the effort.

'Being with someone' is something I haven’t experienced before and is, naturally, something I want to experience.

I am conscious of sounding like I'm moaning, but hopefully you understand where I'm coming from. It is more of a place of feeling flat, and wondering if experiences have been similar.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending