The Student Room Group

Do girls get friendzoned as often?

Not fond of the term, but anyway. In my experience it seems to be mostly a guy thing.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Zarek
Not fond of the term, but anyway. In my experience it seems to be mostly a guy thing. I've suffered badly once or twice myself and seen other hapless males in difficultly. Much less so for girls. Is this because females are wiser, or because expectation is that they are less proactive or because guys will generally sleep with anyone who shows them some enthusiasm. I would like to understand..

In my experience, girls generally understand that not everyone will want to have a relationship with them, and therefore when someone becomes their 'friend' instead of 'boyfriend' they don't care much and/or cry in their bedroom while singing along to James Blunt rather than talking on and on and on about being 'friendzoned'.
Reply 2
Original post by mscaffrey
In my experience, girls generally understand that not everyone will want to have a relationship with them, and therefore when someone becomes their 'friend' instead of 'boyfriend' they don't care much and/or cry in their bedroom while singing along to James Blunt rather than talking on and on and on about being 'friendzoned'.

I think this is possibly a very fair analysis. There seems to be something in a guys brain that makes sex an essential extension of attraction and/or friendship. Also acting like a complete love struck idiot, although not exclusively a male trait, does seem a bit more associated with testosterone.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't think it happens as often.

I think that nice guys don't really lead on a girl to make her think they are into them. It's clear that they are being friendly. The guy doesn't put the moves on them if he approaches and also if he has met them and becomes friends, doesn't really flirt with them.

Not all girls, but many obviously flirt and lead someone on right up to the point of getting physical or close. These tend to be the ones who just like attention.
Women don't, in general, feel the same sense of entitlement to men's bodies that men who bang on about being friend zoned clearly feel they have to women's bodies.
im a girl and in the friendzone. however i do not feel a 'sense of entitlement' and respect his decision. he is also my best friend and an amazing guy.😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by tsr_username01
im a girl and in the friendzone. however i do not feel a 'sense of entitlement' and respect his decision. he is also my best friend and an amazing guy.������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear this. Not sure guys do feel a 'sense of entitlement'. In my worst case it was more a deluded hope that if I kept trying things might change.
Original post by Zarek
Sorry to hear this. Not sure guys do feel a 'sense of entitlement'. In my worst case it was more a deluded hope that if I kept trying things might change.

An unhealthy dose of men do feel entitlement though. If a woman doesn't like a man who likes them, or vice versa (though generally men use the term far more than women), that doesn't move the guy from one fictional status to another, it means the other person doesn't have the level of feelings for them and are still friends or acquaintances or whatever. Assuming the person hasn't overdone it :biggrin:
Original post by Domestrella
Women don't, in general, feel the same sense of entitlement to men's bodies that men who bang on about being friend zoned clearly feel they have to women's bodies.

Why is it to do with bodies? :confused:
Maybe people want to get into a relationship because they actually like the *person*? :lol:
Reply 9
Original post by Maid Marian
Why is it to do with bodies? :confused:
Maybe people want to get into a relationship because they actually like the *person*? :lol:

True, mind you the body is often a pretty motivating part of the equation..
No, because guys tend to have a lower threshold for who they would have sex with than girls do.
The responses will be quite diverse if you ask.
Some females are provocative, therefore a man maybe feel flattered and enthusiastic about being the girl's partner.
Minorities of females, unfortunately, are friendzoned because of she and he being childhood friends and not wanting to ruin the great 'friendship connection' they have.
Although, a guy make feel enthusiastic about being a relationship with girl fundamentally (this can be wrong) on their physical characteristics.
I mean, the amount of guys I've perceived going out with girls are largely due to their appearance in society.
Though there are some prerequisites for a relationship to emerge: intellect, personality and appearance.
Well, the common factors I see for a relationship. I've also grasped the fact that smiling is a positive point for a relationship.
No one wants someone who is constantly pessimistic about life, well, if that's your type, go for it.
So yeah...
In my experience, yes, girls can be 'friendzoned' by someone they really liked and thought they might have a chance with. The deciding factor IME is usually the guy himself - not the girl. For instance, he may 'actually' have a conscience which overrides his desire for said girl and thus, placing her in the friendzone. Blokes like this are usually the best kind of guys to be friends with anyway as opposed to someone who will f*ck anything that moves regardless of any past history etc.
Yeah, but girls just don't complain about it all the time. The only thing I can think of it being in the media is when Taylor Swift's songs Teardrops on My Guitar and You Belong With Me that are about a girl in the friendzone, whereas 'friendzoning' guys is a regular moan on reddit, 9gag etc.
Reply 14
I don't know if as often, I would tend to say no..but, for example, I think that my first serious crush friendzoned me ( I'm not sure, I don't find it as easy to tell as some of you seem to do. Bottom line is, we were good friends and seemed kinda flirty, but he also seemed kinda weird and like he was -probably- mainly enjoying the atention so I put an end to it and made sure we drifted apart. I'm one of those people that don't like the feeling of a 'smug' person ughh. If anyone cares, that was a very good decision, albeit painful, as I totally got to know and dread his real behaviour lol)

*memories,memories* Anywayyys, guys definately friendzone, they like the attention just as much. Probably as some people above have said, they have a less chance of doing so because they don't surround themselves with as many girls they only see as friends. Sorry for the generalisation..
(edited 9 years ago)
Girls actually do get "friend-zoned" quite often. Chances are there's some girl who likes you that way, but you wouldn't look twice at her cause she's not quite up to your standards.

I think with guys it's a bit simpler than with girls. Our standards are a lot broader in comparison - so long as she's relatively hot and nice enough (sometimes not even then) she's acceptable at least for a ONS or something. We don't think so much about back-ups and such, subliminal or otherwise.

Girls on the other hand, seem to like keeping several friends as well as a boyfriend. Simple fact is a lot of guys go for the upper girls, and the ones who lose don't tend to move on so well. Hell I;m one of them, as much as it pains me to say it.
Original post by Domestrella
An unhealthy dose of men do feel entitlement though. If a woman doesn't like a man who likes them, or vice versa (though generally men use the term far more than women), that doesn't move the guy from one fictional status to another, it means the other person doesn't have the level of feelings for them and are still friends or acquaintances or whatever. Assuming the person hasn't overdone it :biggrin:

I don’t think it’s fair to say an unhealthy dose of men feel a sense of entitlement. A few may. I think men tend to moan more about it as they have less options and if they’re constantly being “friend zoned”, they’re clearly doing something wrong and should look at fixing it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending