The Student Room Group

Girls - what is a real man?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hellodave5
What about a man who, for just sheer bad genetic luck, was born without testicles?
:frown:

Then he's not a man? Stop ruining my easily expressed, reductionist post. I want rep.
Reply 21
Original post by throwaway99
Perhaps not private enough to be anon, so I made a new account

Recently, with a friend, or who I certainly thought was a friend, said in the middle of an argument (We did like each other at one point ie: like, like, for a bit of context) she randomly said "youre not a real man in my eyes lol." (sic)

That got to me a little bit.What would you call a real man?

You need to play rugby, swear, go like a Stallion in bed with her only emerging periodically to consume a raw steak..
Someone that isn't a pussy and doesn't hide when in an argument. Enough said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm... that's a hard one... lemmie think... it's like a...

A human being who identifies as a man. :biggrin:
I said something similar to a friend recently, really hope this isn't about me (thus anon for obvious reasons).
How old are you? It could be that you're tad immature maybe, no need to dislike your friend for that tiny reason.

Original post by The Juan
Manly man is someone quite physical, confident, likes a pint, loves the footy, punches back in a fight, likes his cars, enjoys some lads banter, makes the first move, competitive.

These are general stereotypical things that come to my mind to be perfectly honest.

I don't speak for all women, but this is horrifically wrong in my opinion. I think it's more about maturity more than anything. Self-confidence comes to it a lot, but then again, I can imagine any mature man would generally be old enough to have "found himself". I'm talking about ages >25
Reply 25
Original post by Anonymous
I said something similar to a friend recently, really hope this isn't about me (thus anon for obvious reasons).
How old are you? It could be that you're tad immature maybe, no need to dislike your friend for that tiny reason.

I don't speak for all women, but this is horrifically wrong in my opinion. I think it's more about maturity more than anything. Self-confidence comes to it a lot, but then again, I can imagine any mature man would generally be old enough to have "found himself". I'm talking about ages >25

Hey I don't support it. I'm just saying as soon as you ask that question these are the first things that come to my mind and it's the general opinion of most people I know. It's the stereotypical version of what men are expected to be.
Manly man is someone quite physical, confident, likes a pint, loves the footy, punches back in a fight, likes his cars, enjoys some lads banter, makes the first move, competitive.

These are general stereotypical things that come to my mind to be perfectly honest.

If that's what a man is I don't want to be one.

Physical, confident and competitive yeah the rest are just the values of a philistine
Original post by DErasmus

Physical, confident and competitive yeah the rest are just the values of a philistine
BUT that probably is a manly MAN. But could handle me a girly man who would suck his cock all night ?
Reply 28
Original post by DErasmus

Hey I'm not supporting this or anything I'm just saying society's perception of manly men fit into those categories. The word MANLY is what we are looking at. Could you really consider a man small and petit, who acts feminine, loves to gossip, loves to read ladies magazines ect. A manly man?
Reply 29
a real man is someone that identifies as a man... that's literally it. :K:
Bearded Dragon
Original post by throwaway99
Perhaps not private enough to be anon, so I made a new account

Recently, with a friend, or who I certainly thought was a friend, said in the middle of an argument (We did like each other at one point ie: like, like, for a bit of context) she randomly said "youre not a real man in my eyes lol." (sic)

That got to me a little bit.What would you call a real man?

A real man - incredibly, incredibly intelligent, the kind you can talk about ideas with for hours on end, the kind that wants to learn things not just for a career or a degree but for their own intellectual fulfilment and their quest for learning. Sensitive but reasonable, and not someone too mushy, just someone who knows where people stand and has some emotional intelligence without being a bundle of nerves. Someone who knows where he's going in life to some extent, has goals, doesn't take drugs or indulge in other addictive vices. Not a total gradgrind, someone who can appreciate art to a slight degree. Not someone riddled with anxiety and self absorption. Reliable, trustworthy, does not objectify women on any level. Not narcissistic and someone who respects both himself amd those deserving of his respect.

Think I just described my ideal man rather than a real man. A real man has boundaries, respect and is capable of perceiving reality as it is, within reason
(edited 9 years ago)
well THIS man likes a man with a big willy and a dominant nature haha
Hey I'm not supporting this or anything I'm just saying society's perception of manly men fit into those categories. The word MANLY is what we are looking at. Could you really consider a man small and petit, who acts feminine, loves to gossip, loves to read ladies magazines ect. A manly man?

Gossip and ladies magazines are for retards and I hope you are not associating them with womanhood because some of the female gender are at the mental level where we can see those past times for what they are - vapid.

And to answer your question I frequently fall in love with gay friends that have a feminine side due to their respect for women, their sensitivity and their lateral perception of the world.... so yes, women can fancy feminine men. We don't all want to jump into bed with the guy on the cover of Men's health.
Original post by inachigeek21
Highly intelligent.

this
Original post by vortex_199
Any man who is not a whining MRA and is not paranoid about reverse feminism has the potential to be a 'real man' :wink:

A woman who knows that her place is in the kitchen and keeps quiet during intellectual debates has the potential to be a 'real woman'

...is the equivalent of this ridiculous tripe. The being said, I wish you well on your romantic quest for a man who doesn't ever challenge your opinions.
Original post by Temporality
A real man - incredibly, incredibly intelligent, the kind you can talk about ideas with for hours on end, the kind that wants to learn things not just for a career or a degree but for their own intellectual fulfilment and their quest for learning. Sensitive but reasonable, and not someone too mushy, just someone who knows where people stand and has some emotional intelligence without being a bundle of nerves. Someone who knows where he's going in life to some extent, has goals, doesn't take drugs or indulge in other artistic vices. Not a total gradgrind, someone who can appreciate art to a slight degree. Not someone riddled with anxiety and self absorption. Reliable, trustworthy, does not objectify women on any level. Not narcissistic and someone who respects both himself amd those deserving of his respect.

Think I just described my ideal man rather than a real man. A real man has boundaries, respect and is capable of perceiving reality as it is, within reason

Most of this is good stuff but I'm disturbed that men with anxiety problems are not viewed by some as 'real men'. I would want my value as a man to be assessed on how I cope with any such problems, and what I achieve regardless, not on the effects of previous traumas and/or my brain's dysfunction.
Original post by Birkenhead
A woman who knows that her place is in the kitchen and keeps quiet during intellectual debates has the potential to be a 'real woman'

...is the equivalent of this ridiculous tripe. The being said, I wish you well on your romantic quest for a man who doesn't ever challenge your opinions.

Ooh man vs woman MRA sob story. White, straight males have life so hard these days with all this talk of rights for everyone. Not like the good old days when women just stayed in the kitchen. *Sob*.
Original post by vortex_199
Ooh man vs woman MRA sob story. White, straight males have life so hard these days with all this talk of rights for everyone. Not like the good old days when women just stayed in the kitchen. *Sob*.

With this kind of poisonous attitude problem, may I wish you the best of luck in getting any desirable men to stick around you for long at all.
Original post by Birkenhead
With this kind of poisonous attitude, may I wish you the best of luck getting any desirable men to stick around you for long at all.

I wish you luck too. MRA is a female repellent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending